Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed previously but I cannot find the #%@* thread, so please indulge me: My 2007 FJ with TRD exhaust gets black, sooty deposits on the bottom of the chrome exhaust tip. Doesn't this usually indicate running too rich? Engine is stock except for a drop-in K&N.

I discussed this with a service writer at my local Toyota dealership, he said he has never heard of this problem (yeah, right!). He searched Toyota service bulletins, etc online, but didn't come up with anything.

I know others have this issue, what do you do about it.

Thanks, brothers!

Dave

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Not to be trite, but i just wipe it off. My stock FJ does it as well.. Ron

I know this has been discussed previously but I cannot find the #%@* thread, so please indulge me: My 2007 FJ with TRD exhaust gets black, sooty deposits on the bottom of the chrome exhaust tip. Doesn't this usually indicate running too rich? Engine is stock except for a drop-in K&N.

I discussed this with a service writer at my local Toyota dealership, he said he has never heard of this problem (yeah, right!). He searched Toyota service bulletins, etc online, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks, brothers!

Dave

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I took it in for that exact problem dealership check every thing out and said that the truck was running fine, they said it all depends on the type of gas you buy. That was a year ago. My FJ still does it but I haven't had any problems so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also have an '07 model with the TRD exhaust and I also get the black sooty stuff on the chrome tip. As Kokopelli mentioned, I just wipe it off when I wash my vehicle.

I run premium fuel and I doubt that I'm running overly rich. My fuel mileage seems to average 18city/20highway. (I drive like grandpap)

When I used to tinker around tuning sportbikes, I would have the bikes dynoed while using an exhaust sniffer. They would basically shove a tube up the exhaust pipe and it would tell you the fuel/air ratio. It wasn't an exact science but it was helpful when trying to get the carbs dialed in.

I've never done any performance tuning on a car but maybe this is an option for ya?

Just a thought..............
Wilkie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, Blue Magic Metal Polish works well to restore the chrome exhaust tip. Turtle Wax F-21 puts a hard coat of polymer on (nope, not effected by the heat) that lets you lightly wipe off the deposit - the soot doesnt seem to stick to the chrome as much.

Thanx everuyone for the replies, I was curious to see if anyone knew the cause. As I (and others) have mentioned, Toyota doesn't seem to have an answer.

Dave

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Well I'll add a little more, as I possibly short sheeted you a little on my earlier post.. Moisture in the pipe adds to the soot collection too. The temperature of the pipe and the exhaust gases have a lot to do with where it shows up. If the pipe stays nice and warm the moisture will exit the pipe, wet the end and collect soot. If the pipe cools too much (i.e. too large etc..) the moisture will tend/want to to get trapped in the muffler. We're not talking about a great lot of moisture here, but the design of the exhaust system should exhaust it. It's normally worse with increased humidity as well.

The injected vehicles we have today and so good at adjusting themselves that something has to be pretty badly "out" to cause a problem. Not at all like the card days or even earlier injections. One of the best the best indicators of a slight rich/lean mixture is MPG. If my MPG was way, I had a sooted/cold pipe and or unburned fuel in the pipe, I'd suspect a combustion/mixture/timing problem. Conversely, if my MPG was way better than most and I had a dry/white/hot pipe, I'd suspect a lean condition.

On the FJ, they seem to start out clean and after a few hundred miles show a little soot.. Hope this helps.. IMHO.. Ron

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't have the trd exhaust (just the stock one) and a while ago I noticed a lot of soot build up in the tail pipe, even though it ran fine. After checking things out, I noticed my K&N filter was really dirty, so I cleaned it up and the soot problem went away.
I'm not saying this is your problem but double check your air filter to see if it needs a cleaning.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My 08 TT does this also. I just wipe and go. There are bigger things to worry about than black soot on my tail pipe.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My '08 TT has it, my '07 Ti with the TRD exhaust had it, and my '05 Tacoma with the TRD exhaust had it as well. The dealer told me about 4 years ago that it was caused by the different formulas of fuel being used in CA. It does not affect the driving or power, just a minor nuisance when cleaning it up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
perhaps you are simply seeing the result of the fact that exhaust is a "dirty mixture" of various burnt chemicals - ie: gasoline and such.

Everybody remember polution? It comes from the tailpipe.

The fact of the matter is, that your concern is probably due to the fact that a polished exhaust tip shows the eveidience of the buring of fossil fuel much more that does a simple factory system.

Don't worry, unless you've converted over to 100% electric and still see this "sooty deposit."

A.W.D.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Now you know that Toyota's poop don't stink... LOL.. Ron

perhaps you are simply seeing the result of the fact that exhaust is a "dirty mixture" of various burnt chemicals - ie: gasoline and such.

Everybody remember polution? It comes from the tailpipe.

The fact of the matter is, that your concern is probably due to the fact that a polished exhaust tip shows the eveidience of the buring of fossil fuel much more that does a simple factory system.

Don't worry, unless you've converted over to 100% electric and still see this "sooty deposit."

A.W.D.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think this is the post you're looking for."Black and sooty looking exhaust pipe?" I started that thread quite a while back. Mine is still black but the rig runs strong.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
BTW, Blue Magic Metal Polish works well to restore the chrome exhaust tip. Turtle Wax F-21 puts a hard coat of polymer on (nope, not effected by the heat) that lets you lightly wipe off the deposit - the soot doesnt seem to stick to the chrome as much.

Thanx everuyone for the replies, I was curious to see if anyone knew the cause. As I (and others) have mentioned, Toyota doesn't seem to have an answer.

Dave
My '08 TT does the same. I just assumed that it shows more on the chrome than on other vehicles I've had. I use WD-40 to wipe it down. I pretty much wipe down the entire metalic underside with WD-40. Mmmmm...love that smell.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Thanks, brothers!

Dave
This is common with most newer vehicles. One of the by-products of the 3 way catalytic converter is water and it causes a black gunk to build in the tailpipe. Looking at the tailpipe color is no longer a viable way of determining fuel mixture.
VL
per wikipedia:
A three-way catalytic converter has three simultaneous tasks:

1. Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
2. Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
3. Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: 2CxHy + (2x+y/2)O2 → 2xCO2 + yH2O

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I've got 3 vehicles w/chrome exhaust tips (including my FJ's TRD exhaust) and they all develop black soot deposits on the ends of them.

I don't consider it a problem, but I find the discoloration of the chrome tip on my TRD exhaust to be annoying. I'm on my 2nd tip (trashed the TRD tip for another one w/a less oval shape, which was severely discolored blue/yellow before it was removed). The 2nd tip has also been yellowed from the heat in the FJ's exhaust. I'm thinking to replacing the tip again, but I'll have the 3rd one ceramic coated before I do in order to prevent any heat discoloration in the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts