Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Neither are waterproof.
You can still ingest water in the TRD where the box mates to the fender. The OEM air intake has drain holes built into it. However, both of these require you to be in water up to the middle of the grill because that is the level of these holes.

Also, the intake location in the fenderwell is not changed. The only thing to change that is to buy a snorkel. However, i think the snorkel is a little overkill for water as you have plenty of not waterproof electronics that are a lot lower than the snorkels intake.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
However, i think the snorkel is a little overkill for water as you have plenty of not waterproof electronics that are a lot lower than the snorkels intake.
where do you base this info on? As far as I know all of the exposed electronics ore environmentally sealed, or waterproof. That is unless you fill the cabin up to the fjammer then you may have problems.:rofl:

·
Registered
337 Posts
You're going to get a lot of answers about it's bad because of hot air, which is debatable with all the cool air coming in from the wheel well. I read a lot of research that says the more air flow around the filter the better.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The only problem I can see is if you remove the lid you wouldn't get as good of a gas mileage as with the lid on.

Some people want the lid off just to make the intake louder, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice performance over noise.:simmadown:

·
Registered
831 Posts
ya i think its already loud enough when you step on it. Ive been threw some pretty deep stuff like up to or alittle above the toyota symbol and the intake was not wet didn't even have water in the bottom.

Now my friends jeep on the other hand is a total different story seems like he goes up to 26 inches and his intake is wet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The only problem I can see is if you remove the lid you wouldn't get as good of a gas mileage as with the lid on.

Some people want the lid off just to make the intake louder, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice performance over noise.:simmadown:
I've seen independent dyno results adding 8hp with an opening in the air box. That's why you're seeing the newer models by Volant and AFE with a port on front.

·
Registered
831 Posts
really a 8 plus jump with just the lid off, might have to do that and when i go wheeling just put it back on.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I read a few writeups on different ways to run your air box (with dyno results). Checkout some of the Tacoma boards, a lot of the guys are doing that deckplate mod thing. They take a deckplate from a boat and assemble it to the front of the air box. It's nice because you can screw it back in when you want the box sealed in the engine bay. Likewise, some of the aftermarket vendors are adding a port on the front which can be plugged.
There's also an elbow in the fender wall. Taking that out is supposed to help some too.
If you follow the path that air flows in from the wheel well, it's really not all that efficient. It goes in through the back of the fender, rolls up to the top and hangs a hard right into the air box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts