Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
609 Posts
I have found when an item is in short supply / no longer stocked or made to look at the lesser searched sites. I did a Yahoo search on the part and found 5 pages. Some of the sites on the later pages are Toyota dealers that may have some on the shelves vs pulling from a warehouse. I would start on page 5 and work your way back. Looks like some commonly used parts will be in high demand until the supply chain settles catches up.

Yuge Backorder on TRD Oil Filter - Page 2 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (toyota-4runner.org)

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
トヨタ Master
16,321 Posts
Supply chain issues perhaps. I use WIX #57173 on all of mine and my customer's Toyotas. I've been to the factory in NC and seen the comparisons to other aftermarket and OE brands. WIX Premium is made with the same quality as OE or better in most cars. These are rebranded through NAPA with a slightly different number. NAPA Gold only, not the white box chenese crap.

I would add that Amsoil branded filters are made by Champion with a paper media and rubber seals. and Royal Purple uses a micro-glass media filter and neoprene seals like Toyota or WIX Premium.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Supply chain issues perhaps. I use WIX #57173 on all of mine and my customer's Toyotas. I've been to the factory in NC and seen the comparisons to other aftermarket and OE brands. WIX Premium is made with the same quality as OE or better in most cars. These are rebranded through NAPA with a slightly different number. NAPA Gold only, not the white box chenese crap.

I would add that Amsoil branded filters are made by Champion with a paper media and rubber seals. and Royal Purple uses a micro-glass media filter and neoprene seals like Toyota or WIX Premium.
I have an extra if you need it! As you can see in the photo, same filter as the TRD. Next in is my new aluminum housing…

Attachments

·
トヨタ Master
16,321 Posts
I have an extra if you need it! As you can see in the photo, same filter as the TRD. Next in is my new aluminum housing…
Probably is the same as I doubt RP is making their own filters. Hard to beat OEM....well 'cept for Motorcraft and AC Delco for domestics. Those filters are crap. :)

I like those aluminum housings too. I can't count how many broken plastic ones I've seen.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have to have a TRD filter or can you use a regular Toyota filter ? :)
I'm looking for one because I remember reading that they're better; I don't even remember why. @CabinCruiser gives a good recommendation for the WIX filter in post #5 above, so I ordered one and should have it next week. I also called my local Toyota dealer and put 2 TRDs on order (they're backordered of course) and I was told it would be end of the year most likely.

Your question is valid though; for the kind of conditions my FJ sees, it doesn't matter what I use 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow, thanks for the warning. I had no idea. I'll be doing an oil change after the first of the year and I can't even find Royal Purple versions of this filter, let alone the TRD version. Amsoil HAD one available for 30 bucks, but what a ripoff and IT'S out of stock too! I also like to use the TRD version because the OEM paper one kind of crushes with the spring force inside the canister once it gets soggy with hot oil and it just looks like it compromises it's internal end seals over time. It may be engineered to work, but it looks cheap. But the last time I got the OEM TRD filter, it was improperly manufactured and the top and bottoms were kind of skewed from one another. It wouldn't even sit straight in the housing let alone seat on the seals, so their quality was already slipping. I had to return it and order another. I should've ordered multiples because I don't have a spare right now. :mad:

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have the spin on. My grandfather, my dad and myself have always used Baldwin filters with only myself having any failures. My failure was a teenage bonehead stunt that put a rod through a 20R block. Most if not all are made in the States, everyone I have ever bought, they have high capacity filters which I use and they are available.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm now seriously thinking of plunking down the cash to put this thing on and get rid of the damn canister. Baxter claims this one, the 501, is slightly shorter than the 201 version. I contacted them to see if the 501 fits the 4.0L V6 properly since it's called "universal" and only lists Lexus in the fitment guide, but haven't heard back yet. It's also slightly more expensive than the 201 version.

EDIT: Just talked to Baxter himself. Apparently the 201 and 501 are identical in external length. They are discontinuing the 201 and leaving the 501 in it's place for the future and that's why they call it universal. However, the 201 is currently $20 cheaper, has the proper length for the internals on the FJ and will be sold until it's gone, so I splurged and bought a 201. I will probably get a WIX XP filter or a Mobil 1 version for a filter. No more canister filters. The other bonus is since the spin on filter has an anti-drainback valve, oil will not drain back to the engine pan once the engine is shut off. The negatives are it sticks down a little further and more oil will come out when it's unscrewed for a change.

·
トヨタ Master
16,321 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have the spin on. My grandfather, my dad and myself have always used Baldwin filters with only myself having any failures. My failure was a teenage bonehead stunt that put a rod through a 20R block. Most if not all are made in the States, everyone I have ever bought, they have high capacity filters which I use and they are available.
Be careful. Baldwins like to go off on "accident" and kill or injure people.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Be careful. Baldwins like to go off on "accident" and kill or injure people.
I don't think it was Baldwin's fault necessarily. He wasn't responsible for the guns. But since he pointed it at a person and pulled the trigger, he's now killed that person. Even worse, apparently these bozos on the set were taking the guns being used in the movie, which were actual working pistols and not prop guns, and going out and using live ammo for target practice. SOMEONE left a live round in the chamber, no one checked if it was clear and then Baldwin was then handed that gun and then he pulled the trigger. This kind of accident has happened so many times on movie sets that a regulation should be made that ALL people that handle a gun on a movie set should have some sort of gun safety training, period. Even the actors. Keanu Reeves was very well trained on the guns he used in the John Wick movies, there were no deaths and there was A LOT of shooting.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I don't think it was Baldwin's fault necessarily. He wasn't responsible for the guns. But since he pointed it at a person and pulled the trigger, he's now killed that person. Even worse, apparently these bozos on the set were taking the guns being used in the movie, which were actual working pistols and not prop guns, and going out and using live ammo for target practice. SOMEONE left a live round in the chamber, no one checked if it was clear and then Baldwin was then handed that gun and then he pulled the trigger. This kind of accident has happened so many times on movie sets that a regulation should be made that ALL people that handle a gun on a movie set should have some sort of gun safety training, period. Even the actors. Keanu Reeves was very well trained on the guns he used in the John Wick movies, there were no deaths and there was A LOT of shooting.
Never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The whole thing is a giant ball of stupid. Why does this keep happening? Remember Brandon Lee?

The worst thing is a young woman died, and now her child will grow up without a mom and her husband is without his wife. Think what you will about Baldwin and/or his politics, this is a tragedy, not a joke.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
I'm now seriously thinking of plunking down the cash to put this thing on and get rid of the damn canister. Baxter claims this one, the 501, is slightly shorter than the 201 version. I contacted them to see if the 501 fits the 4.0L V6 properly since it's called "universal" and only lists Lexus in the fitment guide, but haven't heard back yet. It's also slightly more expensive than the 201 version.

EDIT: Just talked to Baxter himself. Apparently the 201 and 501 are identical in external length. They are discontinuing the 201 and leaving the 501 in it's place for the future and that's why they call it universal. However, the 201 is currently $20 cheaper, has the proper length for the internals on the FJ and will be sold until it's gone, so I splurged and bought a 201. I will probably get a WIX XP filter or a Mobil 1 version for a filter. No more canister filters.
How does that thing work?

You screw it on the underside, and you can use screw - on filters subsequently?

How about the front skid plate?

·
Registered
773 Posts
How does that thing work?

You screw it on the underside, and you can use screw - on filters subsequently?

How about the front skid plate?
OK, this part is installed in place of the entire cartridge housing assembly that you normally unscrew to change the filter cartridge on all those newer FJ's that have the newer PITA cartridge setup. You know, that crappy plastic housing the invariably breaks when removing it? The unit itself is made out of machined aluminum and once screwed into the engine housing extends everything downward about an inch and is now a part of the engine that doesn't have to be removed for an oil change because it makes a smooth surface to install a more common spin-on filter. Baxter lists a number of common spin-on filters like Mobile 1 or WIX that fit this unit. However, as you may have surmised, between it and the spin-on cartridge, the length of the oil filter assembly is now considerably longer. When I talked to Baxter himself, I asked if that was a concern. So if you have the OEM bottom engine cover (tinny rust prone {ahem} skid plate), it will NOT fit because of the higher center vent section of the cover. If you have an aftermarket skid plate like RCI or the TRD aluminum skid plate, it will clear. The other catch is if you're concerned about rock crawling issues. If you run into a rock and dent your skid plate upward and rearward, there is the possibility of impacting the now lowered oil filter, so if you're worried about that issue, do NOT install this. If you drive more on the road or even 4WD in the mud or snow, you're OK. The only other issue is the upfront cost of the unit itself. I don't have it yet, but I'll take pics once I install it on my FJ.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts