Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Vendor
9,676 Posts
If you are wanting to know the difference between the two, the true TRD wheels are only about 7" wide, not great if you want a big tire. (but it works)
If i was planning on using a 315 size tire I would buy a wheel that is a little wider than stock, like the Methods.

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,626 Posts
I am partial to the looks of the TRD ones.

Do know the TRD ones will use the OEM alloy wheel shank-style lug nuts. Methods will need Conical seat ET lugs.

Dont forget to order the 5th for the spare, because not showing off that 5th wheel is dumb looking, and not smart if you were to need the spare. Plus you can rotate it into the set and get 20% more life from the tire set.

Reactions: Uncharted

· Registered
1,644 Posts
Any reason to prefer shank-style over Conical seat ET with lug nuts other than an extra purchase? And when I was perusing Method's website, those Dark Titanium Beadlock look wheels are on "notify". They're not in stock at the moment and those were the ones I was pining over. Rats. :(

· Registered
252 Posts
I’ve got a set of Method MR316s on my ‘07 Sun Fusion and they have been phenomenal. I highly recommend Method myself.
Car Wheel Tire Toyota fj cruiser Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,626 Posts
Any reason to prefer shank-style over Conical seat ET with lug nuts other than an extra purchase? And when I was perusing Method's website, those Dark Titanium Beadlock look wheels are on "notify". They're not in stock at the moment and those were the ones I was pining over. Rats. :(
Nope, I have been there too. Just the extra purchase. We could argue about how the spline lug tool can be a pain to use/locate/not lose, but thats a moot point typically lol.

Frankly, I would buy wheels based on weight. I should have mentioned that in my prior post. If I found methods to be a few lbs. lighter than the TRDs, I would for sure go with them. Reason I have had SCS F5s on the top of my list since they came out!

· Registered
214 Posts
Toyota wheels are WAY TOO NARROW ... and have WAY TOO INBOARD offset. With 285's you should be running 8" (minimum) wide wheels ... pick your offset based on desired stance in terms of edge-of-fender vertical alignment. The METHOD Wheels are my choice for these reasons ... for me, function overrides any other consideration.

· Registered
71 Posts
I went with the Gray TRD wheels on my '07 because I wanted to stay as close to OEM as possible. They work perfect with my 285s and minor lift, but can confirm that they may be the limiting factor to going any wider and bigger.
If you don't have the same OEM OCD that I suffer from, then I would suggest getting the Methods.

· Registered
19 Posts
Have you considered FN f(x) Pro wheels? They're a TRD styled, 17x8", 4.5" backspace, 23.88 lbs. and according to their website, better built and stronger than any other TRD copy out there.
They even come in a dark blue, as well as black, dark gunmetal, gunmetal and bronze. I've never seen them, but they do look interesting...

· Premium Member
165 Posts
I have the black Method MESH 17x8.5 / 6x5.5 wheels and the 285/70 /17's on my 2014 - very similar to those in your picture and have been pleased with them. I had looked at the TRD's but liked the width of the Methods. - went with matte black.

Reactions: Shokaract
1 - 14 of 14 Posts