Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 2014 FJ. I love the car, but I'm not a fan of the stock silver wheels. The wheels that I absolutely love are these TRD Pro wheels for the 4Runner, which also fit the FJ. However, my FJ is not a TRD Pro model.

My question is, would it be ridiculous to put TRD wheels on a non-TRD car? Is this a huge mistake? Will everyone wonder what the hell is wrong with me? Or is this a non-issue?

I know there are other black wheels that I can buy, but honestly I don't like any of them. I like this specific TRD Pro wheel more than any other aftermarket wheels I've ever seen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are the FNfx pro wheels, similar to the TRD Pro wheels. Took me a while to get these due to very high demands. These are lighter, wider, and comes in different colors. Take a look. I just installed mine a month ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just do it!!! Make your FJ your own!!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
The KO2 is an excellent all-around tire. I've had it in three different sizes now, and they've all worked well. It has good road manners, excellent tread life, and does well in most situations off-road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really nice, love the way it looks! How do you like the BFG KO2's, by the way?
I love 'em. Did my research as far as looks and best results on highway, city, and trails. Hardly any noise or any issues so far. I've been eyeing these KO2's from the start. Very pricey tho,..Had to buy 5 tires. You can't go wrong with these.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had them on my FJ, before trading it last week on a 2017 4Runner TRD Pro. I liked the look of them.

The one thing I noted, was that the TRD Pro Wheels are 7 inches wide instead of 7.5 inches wide like the stock FJ wheels and I did not change the tires. After mounting them, the tire installer had trouble balancing the tires and I had a mild wheel wobble (Which lots of people complain about with FJs). Luckily the wheel wobble was not serious, but it is something that if I would have known about, I would have either gotten new tires or different rims.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,410 Posts
Go for it! I too hated the 2014 wheels and loved the TRD Pro's but for me it has to be 16" since the tyres for the 17" are £100 more each for the same tire! So I went with the TT black six spokes.

Those FNFx wheels look great, I don't think I'd have realised they weren't the TRD's there is also this.

http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/14044/4452/

which a couple of members here run.

·
Premium Member
12,176 Posts
Don't do it.

I bought these wheels for my non TRD FJ, here's what happened after I installed them:

I sprung an oil leak
Lost a cowl panel
Collected a rock chip...had to replace the windshield
UCA Uniball started to squeak intermittently
One of my driving lights in the front developed a droop.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got a set of 5 put on last year and love em. Technically when they debuted the wheel at SEMA, they were on an FJ. We had em first, they just don't make our trucks anymore:frown I also developed similar problems to what @mikey experienced but a flush and fill of the blinker fluid fixed all that:wink

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I think they look good. My only problem with that wheel is that there are a million nooks/crannies on that and strike me as difficult to wash and dry - hence I prefer a wheel that is simpler and easy to clean.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think they look good. My only problem with that wheel is that there are a million nooks/crannies on that and strike me as difficult to wash and dry - hence I prefer a wheel that is simpler and easy to clean.
LOL, don't buy an expedition roof rack then! What a pain it is to wash and dry the roof/rack! :smile

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
LOL, don't buy an expedition roof rack then! What a pain it is to wash and dry the roof/rack! :smile

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread!
Tell me about it. I have a Prinsu Rack (Nice frontrunner rack on your FJ). FJ is a big vehicle with lots of washing (I hand wash) and the more stuff you add that is difficult to wash can significantly increase time. Big difference here in Colorado is that any driving during winter and your wheels (and everything else) get absolutely coated with salt spray and mag chloride over an over again. Taking it to a spray car wash wont get this stuff off (mag chloride), so you literally have to use a rag or cloth to wash down all surfaces on wheels, etc.

You probably dont have that problem in most of AZ, so seems like a ridiculous consideration. Anybody in the Rocky Mountains and midwest should take it into consideration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts