Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read both stickies for skid plates and as many posts as I can handle.

Forest and logging roads and a few through the woods trails, no rock crawling.

My 2013 FJ has the engine skid but nothing between that and the front bumper (US Offroad winch mount) Call to USOR, their mount has the same dimensions as a stock bumper.

The only damage I've sustained in 2.5 yrs was to the window washer bottle (at Florence). A little too much speed for the approach angle. Haven't gotten to it yet :). Front washer works but rear doesn't. Also when filled to the brim, leaks until level is below the neck.

Don't know that the front skid would help with that but I'd feel better knowing a limb wouldn't get jammed up there.

Was looking at the Ricochet but it does both the engine and front. The TRD looks good and I would think works well also.

Just fishing for some thoughts.

Thanks,
Lee

skid plate.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just installed the TRD one and it seems pretty solid 1/4" aluminum
I got mine line-x coated as well for added strength
Easy to install

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I've replaced the standard front skid plate on my '10 with the TRD one. It's definitely a lot more substantial than the OEM. Thicker aluminum and also wider coverage along with the extended piece closing the gap to the front bumper. I like it a lot!

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: Overboost44

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
PT938-00140 (2010-2014 FJ Cruiser)

Amazon price is higher but with Prime the shipping is 2 day and free..

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-PT938-00140-Plate-Front/dp/B00O25CWZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527799615&sr=8-1&keywords=PT938-00140

Amazon says it won't fit my 2013 but it does according to TRDparts4U and others..

https://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-10212

Lee
Thats great. According to camelcamelcamel, this is just about the cheapest price it has been for the past two years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2013 FJ and the same skid. It fits for sure but if you have sway bar spacers from a front lift like the Icon set you may need to get longer front bolts for the skid.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
814 Posts
Checked with Cool Springs Toyota, doesn't fit my 13 or your 11.. Maybe needs more checking...
Au contraire mon Frere...

I just put one of these bad boys on my 2012. This part number supersedes the old part number for the FJ.

Be advised, the rear bolts that come with are too long and you’ll have to reuse the ones from the stock skid

Price is kinda high though considering you’ll get no warranty or support from a private seller. For a few bucks more you can just get it from the dealer

Dan

·
Registered
291 Posts

I just put one of these bad boys on my 2012. This part number supersedes the old part number for the FJ.

Be advised, the rear bolts that come with are too long and you’ll have to reuse the ones from the stock skid

Price is kinda high though considering you’ll get no warranty or support from a private seller. For a few bucks more you can just get it from the dealer

Dan
Yep, these are the ones they just sold a crapload up at "40% off" a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Dan
I used the new bolts but I had to chase the threads with a tap. The new bolts are much longer and have to go through threads that were previously unused and had a bit of rust in them.

Yep, these are the ones they just sold a crapload up at "40% off" a few weeks ago.
That is how I got mine. Looks great. Very heavy for a piece of aluminum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can also confirm the new part that superceeds PT938-00140 >- PTR6089190
Fits my 2010 using a tap to continue threads through the last necked threads. If you look at the strange bolts from the rear two locations, they are dual sized necked down. Chasing the holes with a 10mm x 1.25 metric tap fixes the issue.
Not sure why toy decided to use a dual sized bolt in this application. Possibly to make it easier to align the pieces during mfg?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can i make modifications to a 2007 FJ I would love to put ones of these bad boys on my Cruiser But they don't make one for a 2007. If anyone has done it let me know Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can i make modifications to a 2007 FJ I would love to put ones of these bad boys on my Cruiser But they don't make one for a 2007. If anyone has done it let me know Thanks
Don't know, got a '13. Someone knows I'm sure. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts