Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a new owner of a 2008 MT TT and want to install the TRD quickshifter. I found this website and was wondering if $310 is a fair price:
TRD

Seems like this is a lot of money for this part. I know the URD shifter is less expensive but I hear it adds about 3/4" to the rod length and I like the length exactly as it is.

I also haven't been able to find installation pictures anywhere. I hear the TRD version does not come with instructions. Any tips on where to buy and how to install would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Well I don't know if it was the best deal in town, but I just picked up a brand new TRD shifter off eBay for $260 that included a free TRD shift knob and free shipping.

I don't need the TRD shift knob, but if I can get a few bucks out of it, that will help drop the cost of the shifter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just installed the URD shifter yesterday, have to say that the FJ should have came from the factory with a short throw shifter. A short throw shifter is worth the investment! The 3/4" difference actually made the shift position much better for me. But shift position is all preference.

Even with no instructions, I think we could walk you through it if necessary. Installation of the URD has 3 more parts and it was not bad to get it apart and back together. (I am a novice at Mods) The only trouble I had with my URD shifter was removing the gasket/sound suppression material that was down around the shifter.

From what I know about the TRD shifter, it should be much easier to install. I am thinking 6 bolts, two plastic retainers and thats it. You also have to remove part of the center console but it lifts right out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's for a 2007 Tacoma X-Runner 6 Speed, but the procedure is probably the same. Lots of good pics.

Write-Up: TRD Short Shifter Install - XR-Underground
Thanks, this looks very similar to what the FJ installation is going to be like. The trim pieces are obviously different but the rest looks about the same. I'm going to attempt this soon. Contemplating if I should invest in a torque wrench to do this job since I've never had to use one before.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Finally got around to installing my TRD shifter and IMP knobs today. Installation was pretty straight forward. Mine came with instructions.

Don't be afraid to do this yourself. If you can use a wrench and read directions, it's pretty easy. Just take your time.

The TRD shifter and IMP knobs are a great combo! I'm very happy with the mod. :rocker:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks like a pretty good amount of change!:)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2008 MT TT and want to install the TRD quickshifter. I found this website and was wondering if $310 is a fair price:
TRD

Seems like this is a lot of money for this part. I know the URD shifter is less expensive but I hear it adds about 3/4" to the rod length and I like the length exactly as it is.

I also haven't been able to find installation pictures anywhere. I hear the TRD version does not come with instructions. Any tips on where to buy and how to install would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:
EDIT Never mind just saw the OP date.

But if anyone else needs a had, hit me up.

I am local, if you need a hand to install it, hit me up.
I have the TRD one in mine for over a year, luv it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
TRD

if you have paypal, get it from me. i sell TRD on Ebay. $275 Shipped!! my ebay id is Joeisip811 check my feedback.:cheers:
i will also send you a step by step installation instruction. COLORED:rocker:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts