Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the rear passenger bolt alignment issue. The person who owned my FJ before me must have had grease monkeys with pneumatic tools doing the removal and replacement of these bolts. Luckily for me, only the right rear passenger bolt and the frame nut were both stripped out about a 1/4 -3/8ths of and inch. I ordered up the tapset M10-1.25, and I also got 2 bolts that are M10-1.25 x 50mm. (Reason being that I got the longer bolt, is that I wanted that bolt to get up into that right rear hole further that the original bolt that was stripped so it could grab fresh threads that are undamaged.......)I then carefully tapped the bad rear passenger hole all the way through, and also ran the tap with TAP-MAGIC tapping fluid as a cutting fluid for the tap,(Good stuff for tapping by the way), through all the other 3 skip plate mounting holes as well. (Cleaned them all first with a small nylon bottle brush with wd-40 before tapping to keep the tap sharp). I then used my mill and milled about 1/4 of an inch of aluminum from the right rear passenger side skid plate hole with a mill that was the same size diameter of the original hole in the skid plate. THAT was the ticket! Now all bolts go in in perfectly and there is no bolt alignment problem whatsoever. Problem solved and man that baby is ON THERE!!! Plus I also ordered the big red domed letters from Ebay to fill in the TRD letters. I like the look of those big red domed letters!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also neglected to mention that I milled the right rear passenger hole rearward .250‘s of an inch. milling the skid plate hole was the entire key and it does not go off the boss of the aluminum out of tolerance whatsoever. Mill the skid plate by elongating the right rear hole rearward .250 and you are money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, all. Can anyone definitively say whether the new TRD plate, number PTR60-89190, will fit a 2011 FJ, stock suspension setup? No dealer seems to be willing to say, and just tells me these are for Tacomas. Toyota parts websites say the original FJ TRD plate, number PT938-00140, has been discontinued. Thanks!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi, all. Can anyone definitively say whether the new TRD plate, number PTR60-89190, will fit a 2011 FJ, stock suspension setup? No dealer seems to be willing to say, and just tells me these are for Tacomas. Toyota parts websites say the original FJ TRD plate, number PT938-00140, has been discontinued. Thanks!
I’ve got one on my 2012. Easy peasy installation. I think they’re basically the same truck 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
146 Posts
Looking at skid plates also. I am not sure if this will work due to access but in the past ... I take the bolt and insert it from the backside where the threads are good and as it goes through it cleans up the threads on the front side. <>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, all - I just installed the new front skid plate, part number PTR60-89190 (the latest version with the red TRD letters attached) on my 2011 FJ. Perfect fit, no issues. I reused the original bolts in the rear mounts instead of the longer kit bolts and had plenty of thread engagement. No need to tap out the smaller shoulder threads, although that would have worked nicely also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wonder why you have to buy them separately? Should be part of the kit. Right in the box. That kind of thing drives me nuts.
Great find!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts