Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to pull the trigger on a TRD supercharger for my 08 TT w/50,000mi. I am considering tackling the install myself (I've got a sweet set of tools:)) but was looking for any tips/advice from you guys who have done the install yourselves. Any special tools required or things to watch for? Anything especially tricky with the install. I plan on posting pics as I go so I'll be sure to post. Thanks in advance and wish me luck.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
The number of people on this forum that have installed the SC themselves can be counted on one hand I would think. I'm not one of them. :lol: I had a dealer install mine. The biggest issue people seem to run into is having to relocate the inter-cooler pump because of an aftermarket bumper.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Tricky parts:
Removing the flywheel bolt. I believe it is around a 28mm bolt (i had to buy the socket as i didn't have one) and it's torqued to about 275ft/lbs. I had to use essentially a 5ft breaker bar to get it loose and it still took some muscle to get it off). Some like to use the starter to "bump" it and knock it loose. I used a screwdriver through the flywheel to hold it inplace though there are better solutions and tools available to hold it in place i didn't have.

Mounting the intercooler pump if you are running an aftermarket bumper. Not hard, just need to be clever.

Plan a good solid 8-10 hours or so of wrenching. None of it is hard by any means if you have any experience wrenching. If you don't even know righty-tighty, lefty-loosey though, take it to a dealership or a good shop. :)

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
If you can turn a wrench and follow instructions then you can do it without too much trouble. You will still have to let the dealer flash the ECU but you can drive it to them for that.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If you can turn a wrench and follow instructions then you can do it without too much trouble. You will still have to let the dealer flash the ECU but you can drive it to them for that.
x2, that is what i did.

Just drive it like a grandma on the way over i was told.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done this a couple of times on X-Runners. As others have said, you will need a little help from a buddy with the crank bolt.

TRD instructions are very thorough.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
What is mentioned above X2. The aftermarket front bumper does require a change from the instructions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts