Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08' with 100k freeway miles. I tow a 3000lb off road camper so I would appreciate having more H/P and Torque. I am interested but concerned about the miles I already have on the truck. They only sold these for the two years, so I would think they may not be selling them much longer. I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the TRD supercharger on my 07 with 60k. I just got it this winter and have yet to pull the jet skis with it, but I don't think it will be a problem. The only complaint I have is that I have to put it in 4wd if I am racing somebody, otherwise tc kicks in cuz it just wants to spin the tires...

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I am not sure what you mean when you say only sold for two years.... The FJ TRD Supercharger for the pre 2010 has been selling for several years and has been very reliable from the reports found here. If you have looked after your FJ my guess is the motor is still very strong, but you have to know you can pretty much blow any motor if you run the heck out of It.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I really like mine. I installed it at 45K and have no problems. Mileage did not change and has plenty of reserve power when towing.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I have an '08' with 100k freeway miles. I tow a 3000lb off road camper so I would appreciate having more H/P and Torque. I am interested but concerned about the miles I already have on the truck. They only sold these for the two years, so I would think they may not be selling them much longer. I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks
Well no problems with my 07 and over 200k miles but I would consider re-gearing before adding the SC. Overall when towing that will make the most difference especially if you have up-sized your tires.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You say a large amount of driven miles are freeway.....depending on how many of those were towing should be thought of before gearing down..... That is a good chunk of money to spend to be running at higher RPM possibly burning more gas when towing is a small part of the milage. The Super Charger will increase your horse power and torque power bands, making more power for everything. I know what I would be looking into, yes there is some risk boosting a motor with miles on it, there is with any stock motor. The boost is low if you don't run the bag off it probably do good.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I installed 285/70/17's on mine. When you mention to re-gear. What ratio would you be referring to?

Thanks
I run the same size tire and have re-geared to 4.56. I tow a trailer quite a bit and also drive a bunch of freeway miles. Before re-gearing my cruise control was useless and my rig was constantly shifting even at the slightest grade. The SC does add a good amount of power but the transmission still takes a beating. Now with new gears I can actually use the cruise control and I have noticed very little difference in fuel even when running at a slightly higher RPM. Towing is a night and day difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts