Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second FJ I've owned. This one is a 2014 Trails Team edition with the TRD suspension. I would image that the TRD suspension offered on all previous FJs is about the same.
The FJ has 7600 miles on it and has developed a strange popping noise in the suspension.
Driving straight, even over rough (extremely rough in Houston) roads at speed there is no noise. However, as soon I slow to make a turn there is a popping noise which comes from the corresponding side of the car, some times its just the front, some times just the rear, often is both.
I've checked everything under the car and find no problems. Also I can not duplicate the noise just by rocking or bouncing the car.
Any one have any ideas as to what is causing this noise?
Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
128 Posts
Check the sway bar bolts and make sure they did back out a little. There are two in the wheel wells and two under the skid plate.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
There is a Campaign/Recall on about 1800 of the new TTUE's where the adds on suspension parts were not properly torqued at the Port where the conversions took place.
Check with your dealer.
See below, Pink means they checked for compliance.
I have a new TTUE and there are no noises at 7k on mine...gm

Attachments

Reactions: FJ&TJ_Dude

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
There is a Campaign/Recall on about 1800 of the new TTUE's where the adds on suspension parts were not properly torqued at the Port where the conversions took place.
Check with your dealer.
See below, Pink means they checked for compliance.
I have a new TTUE and there are no noises at 7k on mine...gm[/QUOT

I would just take it in its free and enjoy a cup of coffie while u wait but agree its probably a loose bolt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2014 also (not trail team) and have noticed this as well. To the point that I actually got out of my car to check if there was anything under the passenger seat knocking around. Ironically, I'm also in Houston.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied.
Unfortunately, I still can not find the source of the problem. Everything, and I do mean everything is tight. Not loose bolts, ball joints, bushings, etc.
I have taken it back to Mike Calvert Toyota, what a joke. I took it in for 4 things, suspension noise, rear speakers don't work, compass light blinks and alarm won't go off.
Can you guess which one of these items they fixed? The compass light, which I could have fixed myself if I could have found a parking lot big enough to turn circles in. (I live in mid town Houston, not too much space to be found.)
Oh, but they were excellent at coming up with excuses as to why they couldn't or wouldn't fix the other issues.
They claimed they couldn't hear any suspension noise.
They claimed the rear speakers were installed "by mistake at the factory, they're wired in but they were never intended to be used."
And finally, they claim that if someone breaks out a window AND opens a door the alarm will go off. Unfortunately there's only one way to test that claim.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Don

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same popping noise from my 2014 nonTT, before and after the lift. I.e. process of elimination, it was not the shocks. Soon after I removed the rear sway bar to get the most out of my metal tech LT kit, I realized there was no more popping in the rear. Just the front. So I removed the front sway bar and got sum 1.5" spacers for the front to widen the track a little. No More Popping, it's the bee's knee's. On road, its not as bad as sum make it seem. Just drive to the conditions and remember it's not a Lamborghini.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts