Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a quick look at my post you will see I was in the past a proponent of Treadwright Tires. My first few sets were simply awesome and customer service was delightful. I have had them send me a new tire with one phone call if the tire was difficult to balance is WAS their policy. Likewise the craftsmanship was top notch. On two occasions I had knowledgable tire people at a national chain trying to figure out when BFG changed their tread design....the casings were so well prepped they didn't even know they were retreads until I told them.

Well those were the good ole days. My third set suffered a side wall separation at speed which caused significant damage and the tires were just a few thousand miles into service (3400 miles). When I approached customer service I was ignored, passed to voicemail to voice mail and then denied any claim.

Because Im an idiot and due to the excellent results from my first sets I thought I had just got a bad apple. I ordered a matched casing set and despite refusing non matching casings they showed up about 6 wks after I placed the order.

This set was so poorly prepped and cased that the casing wasn't even secured to the new tread in multiple areas because the original sidewall treads had not been ground down completely before bonding. Two were green dot blems and two were regular but all had different casings.

Five phone calls, six emails and no luck resulted in a BBB complaint that came back :company is now out of business.

As fate would have it I dropped my Jeep (not fj, there really is a difference) off for service and when I picked it up the owner has how I liked the Treadwrights. I told him the story and how this nearly wore out set was the second set I ordered and were fantastic but the most recents sets (including the ones still on my shop floor that were to go on my fj) were garbage. He smiled and said well the ORIGINAL owners was my family and we ran it well into we sold it to some folks in Texas who are going out of business. According to this guy the company web site is up in order to sell remaining stock but they are as the BBB said essentially out of business.

Obviously who knows if his tale is true but buyer beware. Too bad because once upon a time I really liked their stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Had these on my truck when I bought it.They were a good tire for retreads.They were hard to balance and two took alot of weight.My biggest complaint would be the noise it about drove me crazy.I ran these on the highway and also some offroad and they never gave me a problem.Its a shame that when a company gets sold and the new owners cut corners to make more money or forget about customer service.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bar3k I just read your past experience with these too.......interesting. All good things come to an end.

·
Premium Member
11,920 Posts
Man that sucks donkey b****. I was starting to wonder what was up with Treadwright as of late.....now we know.

I did have excellent results when I bought mine.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
You'd never know if they are in fact in that position...they are hitting Facebook hard and there is no word of their demise...I guess all the nightmare threads may be some indication, but whoknows.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
So we have no real evidence that Treadwright is "going out of business" other than an old guy in CO that claims his family used to own the company? A local BBB search indicates them "out of business". I thought they were based in South Dakota?

Did you do a BBB search there?

Somehow this company (on it's last leg?) just shipped me another Guard Dog, as promised, within the delivery window, yet they are now enhancing their deals by offering free shipping and gave me a Bead to Bead retread even though I didn't pay for one?

Sorry. :surprise Not buying it.

This was delivered to work today

Attachments

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,983 Posts
So we have no real evidence that Treadwright is "going out of business" other than an old guy in CO that claims his family used to own the company? A local BBB search indicates them "out of business". I thought they were based in South Dakota?

Did you do a BBB search there?

Somehow this company (on it's last leg?) just shipped me another Guard Dog, as promised, within the delivery window, yet they are now enhancing their deals by offering free shipping and gave me a Bead to Bead retread even though I didn't pay for one?

Sorry. :surprise Not buying it.

This was delivered to work today

Must something to the story.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140415/NEWS/140419938/treadwright-under-new-ownership-moves-to-houston

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well this is terrible to hear... :| I purchased a set of gaurd dogs in August of 2014 and they have held up pretty good. This is only the second bad review I have seen, but this claim carried a bit more weight than other complaints. I will not be attempting to try out this "new" company until there is some further research.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long as people want quality remold built in the USA TreadWright Tires is not going out of business. I ran the operations for TreadWright in South Dakota and moved with the company to Houston, TX. The major reason for moving was to grow the business, which was hard to do where we were, because of the turnover of plant employee's that was a function of our geographical location. At the new facility we have 30,000 more sq/ft, we have purchased new automated equipment, sonic balancers, more bead-to-bead molds, and new automated presses. So, from a quality and productive standpoint we are making improvements. The one that I am most excited about, which has been put into production at 100% last week, is the sonic balancing. We have some top of the line balancers now that will measure a tires round and side to side variance. These machines are dialed in to BMW's luxury car specs. We now check our tires twice, so we should see a great improvement in that area. The one area that was the biggest challenge for us after the move was our customer service. We had a great knowledgable team in SD. Our associates knew their stuff because they all had worked in the plant before. We wanted them to come with us, however we respect their decision for staying. We are a family focused/built in America company and we know family comes first. That being said we have 3 very capable young ladies in our office today who are committed to helping our customers and are diligent in improving the customer service experience at TreadWright Tires. I want to get involved personally in all issues that are unresolved, so if anyone has any comments or concerns, please feel free to send me an email: [email protected] My wife may disagree, but I think I am a good listener. :grin
Also, Please look out for us on TV. We were selected and just wrapped up filming for a short documentary titled "Built-in-America" It usually airs on cable channels like Fox Business News and the Discovery channel affiliates. Once I get details I will post for you all. If you want to see any previous tapings of other facilities google Built-in-America series or Studio1080, they are the production company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Considering buying some tires for My FJ and found the treadwright site.

I'm on a limited budget and don't really want to gamble on poor product, but am really interested in supporting a small business with good custom service. So this thread had me bummed out and then excited again, maybe.

Did anyone have any of their issues resolved after David spoke up and commented?

Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never bought from TW but the concept makes a ton of sense from an environmental and cost perspective. Seems like a great company trying to do the right thing, wish them well.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
LS,

Did it really take a month after joining the forum to find this thread to make your first post? Most drop in at the new member area first to say hi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts