Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great solution & thanks for posting this!

I've been fiddling with where and how to mount mine. Was thinking of yet another four treks set of clamps with some type of L bracket. I was thinking I might mount mine vertically (i.e. on edge) but yours may be a better solution. Great brain food for me to go back to the drawing board and rethink some nuances I had been struggling with

Again thanks for posting this!

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Those look great! I have been struggling to do something similar. One suggestion would be to countersink the bolt on the front mount, just in case it gets pushed into the roof, that way the bolt head won't be what hits.

I am guessing you drilled holes through the Tred? That really provides more flexibility than trying to work around pre-existing openings in the product...

Thanks
Shawn

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Nice work! Looks like it will last. Good solution! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thumbs up, excellent use of a solid mount and something that won't rust.
Nice job MattM 👍

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those look great! I have been struggling to do something similar. One suggestion would be to countersink the bolt on the front mount, just in case it gets pushed into the roof, that way the bolt head won't be what hits.
Yeah, I did consider that... It's pretty solid as far as resisting attempts to push it down onto the roof, and the ridges on the roof seem to make the plastic arm hit before the bolt head. However, first chance at a re-do and I will use a countersunk flat head phillips instead of a hex head cap screw.

I am guessing you drilled holes through the Tred? That really provides more flexibility than trying to work around pre-existing openings in the product...
No, there was actually already a hole at that location. Had to use those aluminum plates on top though. Otherwise the wing nut would not make it down to the bottom of the gully where the hole is.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Where do you buy delrin like that?

Local hobby shops dont seem to have it nearby.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Where do you buy delrin like that?

Local hobby shops dont seem to have it nearby.
You can get it through Amazon, but it's pretty pricey: http://www.amazon.com/Acetal-Copolymer-Standard-Tolerance-Thickness/dp/B00CPRAC9U/

Better choice is any local plastic suppliers. Local to me is: Plastic Supply Inc

I got this particular piece from TAP Plastics in Mountain View, CA when I was out there on business. 12" x 12" x 1" for only $12 because it was a scrap cut-off from a bigger job.

We used to have a place near here called Cadillac Plastics that had a HUGE scrap bin in their lobby. You could find almost anything super cheap. Unfortunately, out of business...

Check local suppliers to see if any have scrap regularly available. If they don't normally sell their cut-off pieces, you might even find them in their dumpster.

·
Registered
955 Posts
cool, there is a tap plastic local to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts