Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how to remove the Trim between the 2 vents in front and clock. Also whats the part number for this and any idea about the price. Thaxs

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah...that's what I thought...there are two screws that are a PITA to get to. You need to remove the surround, the radio and get a short screwdriver and a flexible wrist. There is one screw on each side with the tip pointing towards the interior of the vehicle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't know the part number but it's called the 'center outlet'...costs about $133 on parts.com.

Just wondering, what'd you do to yours?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am planing to modify this piece .. just didnt get chance get to it .... its good to know how to remove it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I want the piece so that I can cut it and put my gps in there instead of the clock. Prob wont do it right away but hopefully soon. I purchased the gps a couple of weeks ago. nüvi® 3790LMT

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea! Check around on some junkyard site's....may be able to find a totaled FJ that you can pull it from for a lot less.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The junk yard is a great idea but I dont think the are too many around here. There shouldnt be too much heat generated in this area, am I missing something? My windows are tinted and I use a sunvisor for the front window so not much heat from the sun, if thats what U meant

·
Registered
458 Posts
you have 2 vents there ... ones you turn heat on in car .... even you direct air out from those vents its still air come out....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I just finished replacing this piece myself, as when i bought the FJ, one of the air vent fins was broken. Even though I bought the part a year ago, I just finally got around to swapping it in.

Let me tell you, it was a PITA. Maybe you could get it off easier, but I basically had to remove the entire dash to gain access to all the parts layered on top of the center a/c vent piece.

It has tabs on either side, the left covered by the instrument panel surround and the right covered by the upper tubing on the passenger side of the dash. The driver side was a piece of cake, but unless you have extremely flexible arms, I don't see how you'll get the passenger tubing off any other way.

As for the part number, I ordered mine from partznet.com and the part number on the package was #55405-35351-BO. On their site, it's listed as the "center outlet" but on my package it was called the Panel Sub-Assembly. Just FYI.

Sorry I didn't snap any pics. I was working late and just wanted to finish. But if you have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow U werent kidding what a PITA too get and the clock. I have most of my dash out now all I have too do is fab some sort of bracket. There isnt much there too secure a bracket too so ill just think about it for a moment. Thought I would keep U updated

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Just an alternative suggestion: You might be able to run two thin strips of aluminum from the cluster gauge housing (perhaps using the mounting bolts) down and over the dash hump, then mount the GPS to those. That way you wouldn't have to cut or mod the plastic dash piece (or rip your hands and arms to shreds trying to reach the screws).

It won't be an "in-dash" solution, but it would cover the clock and also be removable later. Paint the aluminum brackets black or graphite to match the dash, then run the power lead through the dash in an inconspicuous spot.

Anyway, just an alternative to consider...

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I found a dash in a junk yard & decided I'd get the clock and even with the dash on the ground it was a mother getting the thing out. I can't see how you can get it out without pulling the dash!

·
Registered
458 Posts
is there some space there available so i can install something inside ????
any pic inside there ... got another idea about what to use there ... but i need some space inside of dash and i have take that space from vents

1 - 20 of 43 Posts