Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
is there some space there available so i can install something inside ????
any pic inside there ... got another idea about what to use there ... but i need some space inside of dash and i have take that space from vents
This is a shot of my dash when I was replacing the center vent piece a couple days ago. You can see the opening where the clock goes. If you remove the clock from the center vent and push back the harness, you'll have about 5" to 6" of depth and about 4" of width between the vents.

Sorry about the quality. I didn't feel like running in and getting my camera, so it's my iphone.

This was a small victory for me. :king:

Just for the folks who are curious how much room is back there in the clock opening.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
That looks great BOYD, happen to have any pics from behind the vent piece? Just curious to see how you have the GPS bracket mounted.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
That looks great, and it seems to be reversible too. Not bad. I would do something similar, but I use a tomtom GPS app on my iPhone as my GPS, and I have a panavise mount and swiveling dock as my phone/GPS mount.

Off topic but take a look.
(BTW, you can see the broken right center vent that gave my OCD enough reason to change that part out!)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yea I would have too fix that as well lol. Yea its reversable thats the part I like the best part and it works really good in this position. I am overall very pleased with the install

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Great job. It's nice to see the amount of ingenuity, from all the different forum members . If I didn't go another direction, this would be a really useful mod. Many will benefit from this
Thanks for sharing :bigthumb:
thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Great job. It's nice to see the amount of ingenuity, from all the different forum members . If I didn't go another direction, this would be a really useful mod. Many will benefit from this
Thanks for sharing :bigthumb:
thanks
Don
Don, you went an ENTIRELY different direction. I have to say that if I had the knowledge and resources to do so, I would attempt to create something like your cam system/GPS mount. Your setup is absolutely amazing. Just thought I'd say. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
Joel
Knowledge and resources are both a struggle, on this part of the process. I'm scraping, the inside of my wallet and scratching, the top of my head alot, these days.
Thanks for the nice comments
Don

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Hey Don what direction did u go, what it a built in gps unit
I can't get pictures or a link quickly but check out his build thread. He has a self spotting system with four screens where the vanity mirrors would be and a center console mounted lowrance gps. It's quite the badass setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the panavise mount does it come with the device mounts for the iphone? I have also seen an iPad version does anybody know? If not where can I find those?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
On the panavise mount does it come with the device mounts for the iphone? I have also seen an iPad version does anybody know? If not where can I find those?
No, the panavise bracket doesn't come with the iPhone/iPad mount. The mounts are from RAM mounts. They make various types of mounts for the iPhone and iPad so check there for options.

Oh, and on my mounting setup, I also use a Bracketron swivel piece I got from Amazon between the panavise bracket and the RAM mount. I screwed the swivel bracket to the panavise mount and used automotive adhesive tape to secure the RAM mount.

The RAM mount has the same mounting holes for the panavise bracket, so if you don't want the swivel, you can go that route too.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
My Parrot Bluetooth display is mounted in the clock location.

Playing music from the iPhone/iPod via the Parrot Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I really like the parrot screen in place of the clock. It looks like it should have come that way from Toyota.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Here is how the display is mounted inside the center vent.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wow, removing that trim was the biggest PITA ever!

Not only were the 2 screws on the back difficult, but the passenger side trim piece that holds it in has 3 screws, one on other side and one in the middle that all need to be removed/loosened

And I chipped the stupid click face when I drilled the hole! Anyone have an extra clock face they wanna sell me?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yup, that's the remote display. someone else on here had done it but replaced the clock piece, but the unit was a little smaller and I would have had to figure out a way to mount it and fill in the gap, so instead i just jammed it into the clock face and glued it

21 - 40 of 43 Posts