Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Triple Sealed Doors???

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Macleod 
#1 ·
So we all still get the people who catch us in a parking lot and wanna look inside and around our FJs. The people always seem so enthused and almost always hit you with a comment like "Man, this is gonna be my next truck" or "I cant wait till I get to buy one of these soon"! True or not who cares, I love the attention and dont mind answering a few questions for them!

However, the other day I was asked "How deep in the water can you go with it?" and then ... "Does it have triple sealed doors?" Of course thanx to the new "Heep Crap-okee" Commercials!

So has anyone gave water penetration into the cab any thought for a mod??? AND the rear vent?

Google it and you get this from most hardware stores...

:cheers:

See less See more
#2 ·
Been discussed several times. Try a quick search and you'll see all the past discussions on it.

The FJ's not water tight nor is there an easy way to make it water tight. Even if you somehow come up with a seal solution you still have to seal the vents and install new vents to prevent pressure build up as well as seal all the bolts which attach to the frame/underside from the interior.

#5 ·
If your main concern is what people think about the FJ then you'll need a whole lot of $$ and mods to make it comparable to other 4x4s out there.

Just because it has triple door sills doesn't mean 10 other things can't fail in a water crossing. Its all advertising.

Newer rigs aren't designed for deepwater fording with all the electronics. Get a 40 or an old jeep and your much better off to begin with. :cheers:

#7 ·
Very true!!! Silly Jeeps

Didn't really want to get burnt, just start some anti-jeep propaganda!

I've been rebuilding and wheeling 66-77 Broncos for 20 years now. All I ever had to worry about was water touching the top of the engine (carb and distributer). All floor pans are bare and flat, so water goes in... Water goes out!

The FJ is my first IFS truck ever and most "technically advanced" thing at that! Got it for the wife and kids to follow me to trails and have a nicer ride, till we got to camp or trail heads. But 3 years and a divorce later, I started turning my attention to it for my new toy and moding it.
Don't get me wrong I love it, but my Early Broncos will always be tops ;) and no matter how much I mod it I know it will always be in a lower class than what I'm used too.

I just never had a wealth of information about the trucks I was working on like this place before. Just old timers I would pass on a trail. Good ole country boys like me that never owned a computer.
I just wanna see what the guys with time and money are doing to keep these things as far from "grocery getters" as possible!
:cheers:

#8 ·
Your best bet would be to remove the interior padding and install a bilge pump. Laugh, but it would work. I keep trying to get Brandon (conversejohn54) to do it because he likes to swim so much.

#10 ·
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Poor B. Sometimes I think if I'd never done his scuba mod he wouldn't keep trying to train his FJ to swim. :D

The first time loneuglyfish sinks his FJ and gets it full of water will probably be the last time I ever ride in that FJ. The FL muck smells SOOOO bad, I want nothing to do with an FJ that permanently smells like it. Seems he's determined to try to sink it though. :cry:

#9 ·
The 2011 brochure says 2'3" is the maximum safe water fording depth. I have no clue how accurate that really is and who is going to measure first?

And really, those Cherokee commericals are a joke. They make all these tough claims, but the thing looks a like a soccer mom mobile or an X5ish hybrid. Certainly not something someone would purposefully take off-road.

I bet you never see one off-road until it is at least 10 years old and on its 3rd owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.