Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few times I have filled up the FJ, the gas pump has been shutting off every 10 seconds or so like it would if the car was full, but the problem is that its not full at all. I know its not the pumps cause it has happened at several different stations. Do y'all have any idea what could be causing this? It isn't affecting the performance at all. Its really just kind of annoying and inconvenient. Thanks!

-Rebel1

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Back the nozzle out a little. I usually do it about half an inch if I experience this a bad end up with no trouble

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
398 Posts
In Tucson, I really can't use any of the pre-set notches on the pump handle, or else it will shut itself off. I just think the filler neck of our tank is a little thin. I have a 2007 made in August of 2006. Maybe it is more of an older model thing. What year did you say you have?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've noticed that when I fill up with the light on the pump shuts off at about 15gal the. Pump to about 16-17gal. I've used all the techniques and nothing works. I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Tucson, I really can't use any of the pre-set notches on the pump handle, or else it will shut itself off. I just think the filler neck of our tank is a little thin. I have a 2007 made in August of 2006. Maybe it is more of an older model thing. What year did you say you have?

It's an '07. I guess its just getting backed up before it funnels into the tank so the pump thinks the car is full. Thanks for the quick responses gentlemen.

·
Registered
398 Posts
What I find that what works for me is I just let enough pressure off the pump that the hundreths digit changes every half second. No less than that though or else the very other problem will happen and you will end up over-filling. I found that out the hard way. Don't want to do that too many times or you will flood you charcoal evap canister. Same theory as topping off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've found that if you hold it more upright instead of tilting it down it doesn't click off. As in point the end of the nozzle more straight down, make sure you have a little inward force to push the boot down so it will click when it's full otherwise you may end up with gas all over you and your rig. Yes, you have to stand there and hold it but it won't shut off and you can set it on the highest notch. I think it's the more vertical angle of it causing the issue. It seems to me that because of the angle of the filler it's getting too much back pressure on the flow so it thinks your full. Holding it upright works for me everytime. I hope that makes sense, it's late lol :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
just stick your gas cap under the lever and you are good to go.
the presets even on the lowest setting is too fast for FJ's tank.
mine is 13 version.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I used to have this problem and it was worse when cold, but since I've done the body lift, I haven't had any problems. I think the fuel neck to the gas tank is a little too horizontal and causes gas to back up and kick the pump off. When my filler neck got stretched out some during the body lift, it ended up at a slightly steeper angle and there's no problem any more.

Backing the pump nozzle out some worked some of the times for me, but it was a quirk I could deal with. I still love the FJ!

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I don't really have any problem filling mine. Keeping it full is another story. :lol:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a heck of a laugh out of this... dirty mind I guess!
well I finally fixed mine , follow the vent hose after it leaves the charcoal filter on its way up to the filler neck.... there is a small box that is a filter / dirt trap. I took mine off and blew it out with a air hose and man dirt came out like crazy for 10 mins. after I put it back on the FJ fills up way better , I can fill up at super fast pumps but all the normal pumps it works a lot better and I stopped get a error code for gas cap / EGR vent problem...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts