Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my FJ stuck on a steep snowy hill today, couldn't make it up the hill without slipping so I had to attempt to turn around and ended up stuck sideways and trying to get unstuck without going off the edge of a mountain. I had it in 4LO and the wheels cut hard and giving it all she had to a few times before i was finally able to get her out and turned the right way. Noticed on the way home that when I make hard turns either direction it feels like something is grinding and it's hard to turn. When I idle and turn the wheel all the way I hear a vibrating noise that Is not normal. Any ideas what I broke?

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
Hard throttle, wheels turned, slipping then grabbing.... a recipe for a broken front driveshaft.

Or, maybe you just still have it in 4wd and it's binding a bit when you turn sharp?

· Registered
7,933 Posts
Noticed on the way home that when I make hard turns either direction it feels like something is grinding and it's hard to turn. When I idle and turn the wheel all the way I hear a vibrating noise that Is not normal. Any ideas what I broke?
When you say the noise/vibration occurs "while idling", I am assuming that the vehicle is stationary. If the noise/vibration is present when the vehicle is not moving, then it's not a CV joint problem, but may be a possible power steering pump issue (cavitation) or a drive belt issue.

1. Check serpentine belt for deterioration, missing rib segments, and correct tension.

2. Check condition of power steering fluid (water contamination, clarity, etc.). Pull the cap while the engine is running, and have someone turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock and see if there is any frothing of the fluid. If it hasn't been serviced recently, just go ahead and change the fluid and see if there is any change in the noise level.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say the noise/vibration occurs "while idling", I am assuming that the vehicle is stationary. If the noise/vibration is present when the vehicle is not moving, then it's not a CV joint problem, but may be a possible power steering pump issue (cavitation) or a drive belt issue.

1. Check serpentine belt for deterioration, missing rib segments, and correct tension.

2. Check condition of power steering fluid (water contamination, clarity, etc.). Pull the cap while the engine is running, and have someone turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock and see if there is any frothing of the fluid. If it hasn't been serviced recently, just go ahead and change the fluid and see if there is any change in the noise level.
It makes a vibrating rattling noise when stationary only when i turn the wheel far to the left. It does feel like a power steering issue but only when I turn very sharp. I'm thinking the front drive shaft is indeed broken, the boot looks like its ripped a little bit.

· Registered
7,933 Posts
It makes a vibrating rattling noise when stationary only when i turn the wheel far to the left. It does feel like a power steering issue but only when I turn very sharp. I'm thinking the front drive shaft is indeed broken, the boot looks like its ripped a little bit.
If the vehicle is completely stopped when the vibrating/rattling noise occurs, nothing in the front axles is turning, so there would seem to be no way that the axles/CV joints are generating the noise, regardless if the boots are ripped.

On the other hand, turning the wheel full lock, especially when the vehicle is stationary on a hard surface, places the maximum load on the entire power steering system.

Just to confirm, are you certain that the noise cannot be triggered when the vehicle is stationary and the steering wheel is turned to full right lock?

I'd carefully check out the entire power steering system, looking first at the pump, fluid quality, fluid level, and drive belt. Then, check out the steering rack, tie rods, and front control arms to make sure that nothing is obviously bent or binding.

· Premium Member
2,655 Posts
If it isn't any of the stuff mentioned above......and you are feeling a clunk / funky steering and your CV axle boot is ripped. Maybe you snapped your sway bar links and they ripped your cv boot and the sway bar is resonating the vibration. I have snapped one before. Something to check

· Premium Member
5,240 Posts
If the vehicle is completely stopped when the vibrating/rattling noise occurs, nothing in the front axles is turning, so there would seem to be no way that the axles/CV joints are generating the noise, regardless if the boots are ripped.

On the other hand, turning the wheel full lock, especially when the vehicle is stationary on a hard surface, places the maximum load on the entire power steering system.
I believe the CV is moving as a pivot point stopped or moving.

If the CV has dropped, this could bind.

OP, pictures would help

· Registered
7,933 Posts
I believe the CV is moving as a pivot point stopped or moving.

If the CV has dropped, this could bind.

OP, pictures would help
That's why I'm trying to get a clear statement from the OP confirming, with the vehicle at a full stop, if the noise occurs while the steering wheel is being turned, or only after the steering wheel has reached the full-lock position and is being held against the stop (point of maximum hydraulic pressure).

If the latter, the noise could also be a chattering flow control valve in the PS pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.