Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago, the high beams on my 2008 FJ ceased working. I have done little night driving outside of local freeways, so it hasn't been a crisis. More of a puzzle. I am always interested in learning more about my ride's electrical system, and I have done multiple searches here to find a thread created by someone else with this problem. However, most headlight threads somehow end up being HID vs LED, DRL /pro/con conversations, which are not addressing my question.

First, some details:

2008 FJ base
OEM headlight units, h4 halogen bulbs, DRLs.
DRLs work perfectly.
Low beams work perfectly.
High beams do not work, either on full-time or flash setting.

Modifications:
The previous owner added a set of Angel Eyes halos to the headlight configuration. These are powered through a tap on the forward (under hood) fuse panel and don't appear to be in conflict with the headlight circuit.

Troubleshooting (and results):

Replaced BULBS with same (nope)
Replaced HEADLIGHT RELAY on fuse panel (nope)
Replaced MULTI-SWITCH on steering column (nope)
Examined visible connections, and the 3-prong power connection behind headlamp units. Power on low setting, no power on high or flash setting.

Still, no high beams.

It seems like it would be a simple fix, but I'm stumped, and the answer is not obviously (to me) found in the existing threads. If anyone has some advice or a link to a thread I may have missed, please share. I would really like to fix this myself if possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The EWD makes me suspect the DIM Relay. It clicks loudly when I try to activate the highbeams--not sure if that's normal or not. Anyone have advice on how to test one of these things using a multimeter?

·
Registered
486 Posts
The EWD makes me suspect the DIM Relay. It clicks loudly when I try to activate the highbeams--not sure if that's normal or not. Anyone have advice on how to test one of these things using a multimeter?
Sounds bad and for a few bucks you can replace it. Not worth messing around with IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you check the fuses? Each headlight has a separate fuse for both the high and low beams.

Checked every fuse 3-4 times. No luck. I'm going to try to pick up a new DIM relay tomorrow, since it's making suspicious noises. They're fairly cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked every fuse 3-4 times. No luck. I'm going to try to pick up a new DIM relay tomorrow, since it's making suspicious noises. They're fairly cheap.
AND . . . an update. The DIM relay was not the issue. Looks like I will now be tracing every inch of that circuit to find the short. Pulling random components isn't getting me anywhere. Should have done this in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stupid question: Did you check fuses in both fuse boxes?
I'm looking through things and saw their are fuses in the under dash fuse block as well as under hood box.
Since I'm still in the dark, not a stupid question AT ALL. My only question would be, which fuse on that panel might be involved?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at it further you would have other problems if those fuses were blown but if you want to check anyway it's the 10a ecu/ig and 7.5a acc fuses.
I appreciate the tip. I'll check it out. This has been educational, even if I wind up taking it to a shop.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Unfortunately without having the truck sitting in front of me it makes it difficult to give better directions because I can't tell you where to take readings from or test for power and grounds at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think your high beams are neg/neutral switched.
Unfortunately without having the truck sitting in front of me it makes it difficult to give better directions because I can't tell you where to take readings from or test for power and grounds at.
One Shot- How can I verify this? I seem to remember a discussion on this topic (which now I can't find).

Gearwrench-- I just appreciate the input. Even as a lurker, I've become a much better mechanic just by reading the posts by veterans here. It helps that these Toyota/Hino designs lend themselves to modification and tinkering. In college I had a 1985 Hilux 4x4-- last year of the straight front axles-- that I could dismantle in my backyard. My FJ is helping me reclaim some of the fun I had back then, and share it with my sons.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
One Shot- How can I verify this? I seem to remember a discussion on this topic (which now I can't find).

Gearwrench-- I just appreciate the input. Even as a lurker, I've become a much better mechanic just by reading the posts by veterans here. It helps that these Toyota/Hino designs lend themselves to modification and tinkering. In college I had a 1985 Hilux 4x4-- last year of the straight front axles-- that I could dismantle in my backyard. My FJ is helping me reclaim some of the fun I had back then, and share it with my sons.
My thought was even if there's power going to the lights, they won't turn on without the negative/ground, which the switch supplies.
Looking at the threads discussing this, I know enough to know I don't know enough to walk you through it, but you could check your grounds, vice positive.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/138659-tapping-highbeam.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/125522-negative-grounded-hid-lights.html

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
One shot is correct that they switch the grounds but they use that to trigger ther relay and the relay sends power to the headlights, like I said this is so difficult not being with the car. Now in your first post you said you have no power at the lights on hi beam or flash to pass mode and you replaced the relay. Dude my light bulb just turned on: Which relay did you replace? If you replaced the headlight relay you might want to look for the dim relay and replace that. It's in the small relay block(R/B No.4) right behind the fuse/relay panel under your hood. Look at page 21 of the wiring file NW FJC sent you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was there any conclusion to this? My high beams died the other day as well and was wondering where I should check next....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts