Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used one for my camping trip in the UP. Never slept in the FJ, used it in my tent. Comfortable and quick to fill/deflate. Seems very durable also. May try it out in the FJ just to say I did.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Didn't work for me. Got turned on to the idea of getting one through this forum, and I bought one of the expensive ones ( $ 160 or so ) early August for my month long Colorado/Utah camping trip. It gave out and sprung what I believe may be an unfixable leak my last week (left me in a bad spot too). It will be my first and last air mattress. From now on I'm going to just go with backpackers padding - lower tech and won't leak.

I'm sorry if I'm deflating anyone's bubble about this. I've read all the wonderous reviews and such. Perhaps I'm just someone who's hard on things. All I can say is I won't be using anymore of these and wouldn't recommend it. Sorry again.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Didn't work for me. Got turned on to the idea of getting one through this forum, and I bought one of the expensive ones ( $ 160 or so ) early August for my month long Colorado/Utah camping trip. It gave out and sprung what I believe may be an unfixable leak my last week (left me in a bad spot too). It will be my first and last air mattress. From now on I'm going to just go with backpackers padding - lower tech and won't leak.

I'm sorry if I'm deflating anyone's bubble about this. I've read all the wonderous reviews and such. Perhaps I'm just someone who's hard on things. All I can say is I won't be using anymore of these and wouldn't recommend it. Sorry again.
Hey that's an honest experience, and I want to hear all sides. I got stuck sleeping in my FJ with only a thin thermarest and it was miserable! I'm on the fence for an air mattress due to leaks, and lack of insulation in cold as with all air mattresses. An RTT is too much for me, and heavy as hell. The old fashioned tent has been my home lately;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I returned mine for a tent and queen sized air mattress for same price as the Truck-Bedz mattress. The Truck-Bedz mattress was decent, but just not worth the price and the hassle. Had to clear everything out of the truck, remove part of the back seat so it layed somewhat flat, move the front seats way up, then you still only had room for 1 avg sized person comfortably.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I returned mine for a tent and queen sized air mattress for same price as the Truck-Bedz mattress. The Truck-Bedz mattress was decent, but just not worth the price and the hassle. Had to clear everything out of the truck, remove part of the back seat so it layed somewhat flat, move the front seats way up, then you still only had room for 1 avg sized person comfortably.
Exactly FJC Mike. Its a really tight fit. My theory as to what happened to mine is that there are two valves that ram up tight against the driver's side and passenger side front seats, which, as FJ Mike said, must be slid all the way forward, and the backrest part tilted all the way forward too, to get the thing to fit. I may have got one of those two valves kinked against the back of the seats while inflating the thing, or forcing the inflated thing into position against the seats, and overly stressed the seams on the valves, as that it where it seems to be leaking. That's why I suspect it may be unfixable. But if I'm right about that, then the thing's too delicate for me. That's why I currently have no plans to use it anymore. When it left me down I was out in the middle of nowhere, and I had to struggle to come up with a setup on which I could sleep, and I had to use some of my blankets for padding that I needed on top of me to keep warm (nights were cold high up). Finally, in Silverton CO I found a sporting goods store where I was able to buy myself a therma rest backpacking pad, and that helped. My intentions at this point are to buy a couple more of those.

By the way, my wife and I were able to sleep comfortably in the back of the FJ, when setup as described above. I'm about six feet; 215 lbs. She's a bit on the small side; not exactly sure her height. But we managed. That was before I sprung the leak in the Truck-Bedz. I was alone at that point as she had flown back home.

We're thinking of buying a small tow behind camping trailer. The problem with going camping for a month 2000 miles from home is that one needs a fair amount of stuff. If one's intent is to sleep in the FJ, then one is forced to just about unload the truck every night in order to set it up to sleep in. What I did was set up a lean too out of plastic tarpulin under which I put my stuff. It was workable but quite a hassle.

·
Registered
76 Posts

You may want to consider a foam matteress from Ikea. Remove cover and cut foam to fold. Mod the cover to fold as well. I did this for my off road teardrop and it works great as I prefer a mattress that is firm and close to my bed type. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,293 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Looks nice! It's like memory foam and doesn't bottom out, right? Do you level the seat ridge with anything? :cheers:
Does not bottom out. That was the whole point in my case.
I sleep like a princes without the pea.:laugh

·
Registered
272 Posts
Reactions: sonof40

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Twin. It fits with the seats all the way forward, or you can remove one of the small sections from the end but have a shorter bed. I put a 1" piece of memory foam on top, then a mattress cover, then a twine sized fitted sheet. This has worked well for years now.

I don't know if this is the same quality as the Lucid but you can't beat the price:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Best-Choice-Products-4-Folding-Portable-Mattress-Twin/54051679?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.1&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=c169d12f-8833-4664-8876-05b9d07c219a&config_id=106&customer_id_enc=&findingMethod=p13n&guid=c169d12f-8833-4664-8876-05b9d07c219a&parent_anchor_item_id=47961640&parent_item_id=47961640&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=d-U6MYsbgXeqK3TCYvxX4o

I'll try to take a pic later today.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts