Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

261 - 280 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anyone have this? Thinking of getting it. Steering wheel control functionality and fewer wires flying around is a nice bonus.
https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/toyota-fj-cruiser-2007-2013-iphone-aux-kit/
Bluetooth Kit for Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2013 by GTA Car Kits - YouTube
Before I spent $140 to add bluetooth to my stock stereo, I would probably just buy an aftermarket stereo that has bluetooth and better sound and features. But if you are happy with the oem stereo, then this seems like it would be a clean install.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #262 (Edited)
Before I spent $140 to add bluetooth to my stock stereo, I would probably just buy an aftermarket stereo that has bluetooth and better sound and features. But if you are happy with the oem stereo, then this seems like it would be a clean install.

I've added a GPS navigation to my 2 previous vehicles and the cost for something decent like a Jensen (requires Map updates for Canada-additional cost) or a Kenwood runs at least $600 Canadian. Add in the Steering wheel controls and it could be a little more. Any cheaper and the Navi unit is flaky. I got some no name brand for my first GPS unit and it was terrible.

Then you have to update the maps usually every 2 years it seems with all the new roads and construction in our area but the subscription to the map site expires annually. I believe the annual fee was $50 or $70 Whereas using your phone with Google Maps is simple and streamline with free updates and traffic features built in are handy.

Still $180 Canadian is a fair chunk of change but it's clean and the steering wheel controls is a nice touch. What to do What to do...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
On to the next thing and thinking out loud. Gimme some feedback if I'm going about this wrong. 2 of the bolt holes for my front skid plate is rusted out. There's still some threads where the bolts will go in a few revolutions.
I got myself a tap and die set from Harbour freight to tackle this.
Skid Plate Bolts apparently are: 8mm x 1.25 mm pitch x ~ 25mm long
My plan is to drill to 9mm first and based on that see if I need to go to 10mm? And then start the tapping process? Not even sure if I am using these terms correctly.

Is that how this is done? Should'a paid attention in Metalworks class goddamnit!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ran into that one a while back..pretty cool to see it transform..some of the comments by the trolls can be annoying when I know it’s one of our forum members’ video that’s getting trolled by those idiots. I’m glad you posted that here

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've added a GPS navigation to my 2 previous vehicles and the cost for something decent like a Jensen (requires Map updates for Canada-additional cost) or a Kenwood runs at least $600 Canadian. Add in the Steering wheel controls and it could be a little more. Any cheaper and the Navi unit is flaky. I got some no name brand for my first GPS unit and it was terrible.

Then you have to update the maps usually every 2 years it seems with all the new roads and construction in our area but the subscription to the map site expires annually. I believe the annual fee was $50 or $70 Whereas using your phone with Google Maps is simple and streamline with free updates and traffic features built in are handy.

Still $180 Canadian is a fair chunk of change but it's clean and the steering wheel controls is a nice touch. What to do What to do...
look at pumpkin audio headunit (thread in electronics about it) not sure what the preferred unit is these days. usually $300+/- and plug and play. lots of goodies packed into the unit. also seems alot of folks have figured out any issues it may have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Ran into that one a while back..pretty cool to see it transform..some of the comments by the trolls can be annoying when I know it’s one of our forum members’ video that’s getting trolled by those idiots. I’m glad you posted that here

Really?!?!? How could you not love that vid and the truck? Not practical for me (camping and such) but I can dig the workmanship and the documentation of the build. You can learn so much from those pics and how I need a garage that doesn't have my wife's convertible in it :)

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
look at pumpkin audio headunit (thread in electronics about it) not sure what the preferred unit is these days. usually $300+/- and plug and play. lots of goodies packed into the unit. also seems alot of folks have figured out any issues it may have.

Sweet I'll dig into\research that. Thanks brother!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sweet I'll dig into\research that. Thanks brother!
I just looked it up it under "Android stereo upgrade" it has grown to a huge thread.for the latest and greatest I'd prolly start from the end and work my way back.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #270 (Edited)
Its gonna take a while to make it through it but it will definitely help with the final decision.
But thanks though for the headsup. It's appreciated
I just looked it up it under "Android stereo upgrade" it has grown to a huge thread.for the latest and greatest I'd prolly start from the end and work my way back.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
AHAHAHAHA! The wife's Mini needs a new HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) The combo of direct fuel injection and a turbo that runs at high temps in a small engine bay makes these susceptible to breaking down apparently.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just poorly built to begin with.

Just got a quote for the part:
HPFP $2080 Canadian or $1607 U.S.
Labour $175 Can $125 U.S.
Total $2255 Can $1742 U.S.

Found the part for $808 Canadian equals $625 U.S. It's a genuine Mini part too not some knockoff. RIDICULOUS!

Anyhow... That means my FJ stuff gets pushed back but I get to do some wrenching. AND after learning a **** load researching this I thought I would share some links.

GDI Direct Injection overview and dirty valves.

Found this recently too. Landcruiser build.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #273 (Edited)
Also... I got myself a Bluedriver OBD2 scanner to confirm that it is indeed the HPFP on the wife's car. It was and the sweet part is I found a refurbed part on ebay with great reviews and a warranty. $380 U.S. $500 Canadian, shipped and I will do the simple install. SUCK IT MINI!

However, the lame part is that the Bluedriver tells me I have a Knock Sensor issue on das FJ Cruiser. I had suspected it as she was revving pretty high staying in 4th gear when I was on the hwy. Pretty involved to get to the knock sensor harness and knock sensors. AND initially I was pretty choked about it but then I settled myself down and realized it's an opp to dig into my engine bay and learn some **** about my FJ.

Bluedriver: Installing the corresponding app and pairing was super straight fwd. Easy to use. Also has this database that gives you a list of repairs that will most likely resolve your error codes. Looking fwd to live stats that I can see on my phone as well through the Bluedriver device.

Question: does anyone have any experience with FJ cruiser service manuals? The more detailed the better. Gonna need one as there's not much out there on the Knock Sensor DIY tip.

Attachments

·
Admin
7,244 Posts
Also... I got myself a Bluedriver OBD2 scanner to confirm that it is indeed the HPFP on the wife's car. It was indeed and the sweet part is I found a refurbed part on ebay with great reviews and a warranty. $380 U.S. $500 shipped and I will do the simple install. SUCK IT MINI!

However, the lame part is that I have a Knock Sensor issue. Pretty involved to get to the harness and sensors. AND initially I was pretty choked about it but then I settled myself down and realized it's an opp to dig into my engine bay and learn some **** about my FJ.

Bluedriver: Installing the corresponding app and pairing was super straight fwd. Easy to use. Also has this database that gives you a list of repairs that will most likely resolve your error codes. Looking fwd to live stats that I can see on my phone as well through the Bluedriver device.

Question: does anyone have any experience with FJ cruiser service manuals? The more detailed the better. Gonna need one as there's not much out there on the Knock Sensor DIY tip.
Does that obd2 sensor and accompanying app also read ABS codes? According to the website it does.

That's great! :cheers:

How much was it... all said and done with the app?

Reactions: thesilkiest

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #275 (Edited)
Does that obd2 sensor and accompanying app also read ABS codes? According to the website it does.

That's great! :cheers:

How much was it... all said and done with the app?
Yeah it does. $99 U.S. Shipped to the States for p/up. App is free or already rolled into the cost depending how you want to look at it :)

https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bluetooth-Professional-iPhone-Android/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521406561&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=bluedriver&psc=1
But to be sure it has anything else you need that pops up? Here is the email address. Their support and response time was excellent. [email protected]

I asked them about live data and they responded with the following. Mini themselves? 2 local Mini shops never got back to me about some other parts I had questions about. It's been 2 plus weeks LOL!
See below for detail response about the Mini from Bluedriver Support.

Chris replied:
Hello!
Your Mini will support all features including enhanced codes (ABS, SRS, etc) as well as the following live data:
Fuel system status
Calculated LOAD Value
Engine Coolant Temperature
Short Term Fuel Trim – Bank 1 / Bank 3
Long Term Fuel Trim – Bank 1 / Bank 3
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure
Engine RPM
Vehicle Speed Sensor
Ignition Timing Advance for #1 Cylinder
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow Sensor
Absolute Throttle Position
Bank 1 – Sensor 2
Time Since Engine Start
Distance Traveled While MIL is Activated
Fuel Rail Pressure
Commanded Evaporative Purge
Fuel Level Input
Number of warm-ups since DTCs cleared
Distance traveled since DTCs cleared
Barometric Pressure
Bank 1 – Sensor 1 (wide range O2S)
Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1
Control module voltage
Absolute Load Value
Fuel/Air Commanded Equivalence Ratio
Relative Throttle Position
Ambient air temperature
Absolute Throttle Position B
Accelerator Pedal Position D
Accelerator Pedal Position E
Commanded Throttle Actuator Control
Long Term Secondary O2 Sensor Fuel Trim – Bank 1 / Bank 3
If you have any other questions please contact us any time!
Regards,

Chris Nevin
Technical Support
Lemur Vehicle Monitors
Toll Free: 1.866.302.0054

BTW Chris Fix\Eric the Car Guy and HumbleMechanic have some decent reviews on this. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bluedriver
A good friend of mine got some cheap $20 one but I get the impression he's having some issues with his already.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #277 (Edited)
Hey silk before you start ripping and tearing to get to your knock sensors check the wiring for rodent damage. Knock sensors don't come up often as a problem that's the only reason I say that.
Also should mention that I have a low high voltage error as well. This started when I swapped out the old alternator and threw in some new spark plugs. So I'm hoping its the plugs and it's all tying back to odd error messages? although doubtful... I'm gonna test them and the alternator first.

Would you be talking about rodent damage on the knock sensor wire harness? It's buried deep in there also isn't it?
I also cleaned up a bunch of wire connectors\plugs with CRC electronics cleaner. So much grease and oil flew around in there after a botched oil change. It was a mess when I bought the FJ and I think that's what killed the alternator. Oil fell in there then it started to pick up dirt and dust.

Unfortunately that didn't work but you can be sure I exhaust everything else before I go rooting around after the knock sensor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
So here are the error messages. I've done a bunch of things on my FJ which includes new alternator, new sparkplugs, etc...
I also have an odd click I can feel through my foot when I depress the brake pedal. Brake Switch sensor? I have one of these on order. It was cheap and may be causing the ABS portion of my errors?
Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #280 (Edited)
Been working on the Knock Sensor error P0333 - Knock/Combustion Sensor 2 Circuit High Bank 2
Can hardly find anything online about how to replace the Knock sensors but did find a post by Jimiee saying that it would be a 20 hr job. ALARMING! If that's the case I would have to most likely put aside the whole weekend even 3-4 days just to give myself a cushion.

I did find a pic online and it didn't look like the sensor was buried too deep though. BUT I can't seem to find anything like a DIY

In the meantime I found some oil in my sparkplug well. COINCIDENTALLY in bank 2. I believe it's because I put too much oil in. Hoping this is the cause of the error. Although she runs smooth.

I have the hardest time reading that oil gauge BUT I think I figured it out. Everytime I need a reading on the oil I leave the dipstick out for 20 minutes. That way the oil runs back down the tube and it doesn't smear up the length the back end of the dipstick.

Cleaned out the spark plug well as best I could and threw some new plugs in but same error popped up again. Question: will the remainder oil that I could not clean out of the well settle back now that the oil levels are where they should be?

Also I am thinking I may have ruined one of the ignition coils or all 3 on bank 2. One of them is particularly bad. The rubber is much softer than the others

Which leads me to the following question: Does anyone know how to test ignition coils on the primary side of the Ignition coil? There are 4 terminals on the coil and I cannot seem to find which ones to use or what the readings should be. Or maybe I did find it but I can't make any sense of it.

I'm a noob when it comes to electronics and multimeters. I suppose I could just test them all then eliminate the one that is not the same as the others?

See screenshots. I imagine it's all there but how it corresponds to testing with a multimeter is the part I cannot resolve. 7 and 8 is where I think the info lies for what I need?

Attachments

261 - 280 of 316 Posts