Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once you start using synthetic oil in the FJ you cant go back to regular oil?? I call BS but this is what I was told......want to know as I am going to be doing my own oil changes from now on. THANKS!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
FALSE: there is absolutely no reason you cannot use synthetic oil and then go back to regular. It is in fact oil that the molecules have been altered to give it the performance and characteristics we desire. It is still oil.......

The only caveat is that if you are running regular oil I would not mix the two....am not sure if it will cause a problem or not as some mixing happens in bottom end during oil change as not all is every fully removed.....but you will have no problems going back and forth as your wallet or intentions warrant. I have used it in trucks, cars and motorcycles....and for many many years and have had to go back and forth sometimes in past when money was tight. No worries.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Both are typically fully compatable with one another (think synthetic blends). It also does not matter if you switch from one to another and back again. I do however like to use a brand/type that I have had many years of trouble free engines with (no sludge or wear problems). I understand (and may be wrong) that synthetic oil is comprised of a single sized taylor made molecule to get the viscosity desired and dino oil is a homogenized oil of various sized molecules to get the desired viscosity, this is what I understand (and again may be wrong) to be the main reason why synthetics hold up better than Dino oils.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I sell AMSOIL, hence the link at bottom, and prefer it but used Mobil 1 for many years before switching over a few years ago.... I would not try to convince someone to stop using MOBIL 1 as I believe it is also an excellent product and also not into the hard sells like some. If you want to give it a try just click the link and we can start there...if not then no worries.
Some of the others I do not have the confidence in...based on independent studies we have...but the MOBIL 1 always performs near the top of the list. A good choice for all around performance.

Here are some links and you will see Mobil 1 is near the top or at the top...in most cases.

AMSOIL - A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes

Comparative motor oil testing
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf

AMSOIL - Ea Air Filter Video Clips

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Both are typically fully compatable with one another (think synthetic blends). It also does not matter if you switch from one to another and back again. I do however like to use a brand/type that I have had many years of trouble free engines with (no sludge or wear problems). I understand (and may be wrong) that synthetic oil is comprised of a single sized taylor made molecule to get the viscosity desired and dino oil is a homogenized oil of various sized molecules to get the desired viscosity, this is what I understand (and again may be wrong) to be the main reason why synthetics hold up better than Dino oils.
yep, my reasoning for not mixing is not so much incompatibility...but that when people mix syn with dino they seem to want to apply the syn characteristics to the vehicle rather than knocking it down....especially on air cooled motorcycles the difference is significant in hot weather and heavy traffic whereas a dino filled bike may start losing viscosity around 220*F the syn filled bike can go up to 300*F before it is going to break down the same way......so the hot protection is greater. Some guys do the mix to save money and expect the dino to mysteriously pick up the better qualities rather than thinking of it as really just slightly better than dino. As rule of thumb if you mix them yourself.....take precautions as you would with regular dino...and the slight benefit is your emergency buffer.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I've used various weights of M1 in all kinds of vehicles and equipment since 1984, never had a single problem. Even changed a vehicle over to M1 at 109,000 miles. And, yes you can switch back and forth if you like, it will hurt nothing.

DEWFPO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts