Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the sinking drivers seat syndrome with my 2007 FJC. When you set the seat height over a few days it gradually sinks and has to be reset.

I read on this forum that there was a TSB for this and even a thread where someone said it had actually been repaired by their dealer as part of the TSB.

I just dropped my FJ at the dealer this morning and explained the problem. He just called me back and said that they could not find the problem with the seat and there was no TSB.

Does anyone know the info on the TSB? Wondering if my dealer made a mistake, or??

Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Toyota Support Case No. 073530088 Issued For Sinking Seat Syndrome

dukeofjuke previously said:
My dealership was issued a Support Case Number by Toyota Motor Corporation based on my complaints about the driver's seat gradually sinking from its highest position to its lowest position.

When my FJ was new, I thought my sinking seat was merely an inconvenience, but it quickly progressed into an annoyance followed by a genuine concern for my safety and the well being of the occupants in my vehicle. I now realize that this situation may develop to a point where the driver's seat may suddenly and without warning drop from an elevated position while the vehicle is in motion.

My Southeast Toyota (SET) dealership and Toyota Corporation share my concern for the safe operation of my vehicle as evidenced by the issuance of a support case number. Now it's time for all FJ owners plagued by this problem to insist that their respective dealerships formally document their "sinking seat" problem by notifying Toyota Corporation. Please refer your Toyota Service Advisor to Toyota Support Case No. 073530088 and you can mention that this support case number was issued to Toyota Of Melbourne, 24 N. Harbour City Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32935 (321) 254-8888.

By the way, I know one forum member whose seat (refer to thread "Sinking Seat Syndrome" dated 07-24-07) was replaced under warranty by his dealership and sent to Toyota in California for evaluation. Hopefully, his defective seat, my Support Case Number and all forthcoming forum members' complaints will provide the impetus for Toyota to solve this problem and issue corrective action in the form of a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

I'm pleased to report that my dealership finally agreed to replace my sinking driver's seat after thirteen (13) months, five (5) service visits and 27,191 miles.

The proverbial "squeaky wheel" got the seat but I could not have done this without the help from all the forum members who posted their SSS (sinking seat syndrome) complaints. During every service visit, I gave my service advisor copies of all the recent posts regarding SSS. Finally, a post by forum member "bph" on 08-24-08 tipped the scale in my favor. bph reported that his driver's seat failed in a dangerous manner and his dealership replaced it under warranty.

Please be advised that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) has NOT been issued for this problem. My service advisor said that Toyota made a change to the driver's seat as evidenced by a revised part number 71020-3D032-B0 SEAT ASSY, FR LH. As the result of this part number change, my documented complaints and the help from my fellow forum members, my service advisor said the replacement of my seat was warranted.
I find this very interesting since the 2003 up 4runners still have seat problems with the manual versions of their drivers seats. I cannot believe Toyota has not fixed this yet!

http://toyota-4runner.org/attachment...&postid=214936

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Driver seat movement

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Seat problem part 2

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Seat Problem Part 3

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Clunk/Loose Drivers Seat
Here is an older (2003) but very informative thread on the seat issues the 4runner has been seeing. The second page has the best information:

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - 03 4Runner seat rattle
Lastly, and most importantly, you need to make them aware that you are concerned for your welfare because this defective seat could potentially fail suddenly while driving and injure you, the occupants of your vehicle or any other vehicles in harm's way. Check out bph's post on 08-24-08 where he reported "my seat height adjuster completely failed today. It felt like I was going to fall into the back seat when it let go. A bit scary to say the least." This will get your dealership's attention.
The TSB for this appears to be 0334-08, according to my repair ticket.

The seat seems identical to the original. Well, maybe a bit harder
because I haven't had two years of breaking it in. The arm rest doesn't
feel like it pivots forward quite so much. Maybe 10 degrees less forward
pivoting. Not an issue for me since I always lift it up a bit. Otherwise,
no immediately obvious differences.
Your test for "sinking seat syndrome" aka SSS is straight forward. Elevate your seat to the highest adjustment possible and then wait at least five (5) days. After the fifth day, pull up on your seat adjuster lever. If the seat cannot be adjusted any higher, your seat is not sinking. If the seat is able to be pumped even one notch upward, then your seat suffers from SSS.

Note: Make sure that no one drives your FJ during the test period otherwise the adjustment my be compromised. Also, be aware when you enter and exit your vehicle that you don't accidentally catch the adjustment lever on your clothing.

By the way, my old seat sank faster as the FJ got older. My new seat does not sink at all.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So whats the deal with TSBs? If you are out of warrenty are you SOL? I have a very early build (3/06) and I am concerned about my rear diff, sinking seat, and the brake noise in reverse. If I take my FJ into a dealer will they just send me packing? Will I have to pay for toyota's mistakes myself? We bought my FJ with 30k miles on it and I was past that before I knew about any of these. Is there any hope?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
So whats the deal with TSBs? If you are out of warrenty are you SOL? I have a very early build (3/06) and I am concerned about my rear diff, sinking seat, and the brake noise in reverse. If I take my FJ into a dealer will they just send me packing? Will I have to pay for toyota's mistakes myself? We bought my FJ with 30k miles on it and I was past that before I knew about any of these. Is there any hope?
I'm sorry to tell you but you are probably SOL, unless they do a blanket recall.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I have the sinking drivers seat syndrome with my 2007 FJC. When you set the seat height over a few days it gradually sinks and has to be reset.

I read on this forum that there was a TSB for this and even a thread where someone said it had actually been repaired by their dealer as part of the TSB.

I just dropped my FJ at the dealer this morning and explained the problem. He just called me back and said that they could not find the problem with the seat and there was no TSB.

Does anyone know the info on the TSB? Wondering if my dealer made a mistake, or??

Thanks!
I have the TSB number at work and will get that for you tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Most TSB are for 36 months / 36,00 miles. Have not seen a TSB on rear diff. I have all the TSB info at work can get you numbers if need.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the TSB number at work and will get that for you tomorrow.
That would be fantastic, thanks!

The sinking seat is going to be quite an annoyance if it's going to get worse over time...

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I will try and post it from work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just stumbled on this thread. I have the sinking seat problem also('07 model). I used to notice it the very next day after setting it. At first, I thought it was me not recalling where I had the seat set. Now I set it a maximum height and still have to crank it up a notch or two the next day. I'll check w/ my dealer and report back.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
yeah the TSB 36k mile waranty thing sucks. I have the squeaky brake in reverse and the background noise from the stereo when using aux port.

I thought it was normal or I was the only one... I told them they should fix it when I found out about it because they should be sending these out to customers so they know they can get them fixed if they have issues. Plus, I think the brake issue became a TSB after I already had 36k on it. They won't budge though... that's a rule they don't break. Unless the dealership just does it privately for a good customer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah the TSB 36k mile waranty thing sucks. I have the squeaky brake in reverse and the background noise from the stereo when using aux port.

I thought it was normal or I was the only one... I told them they should fix it when I found out about it because they should be sending these out to customers so they know they can get them fixed if they have issues. Plus, I think the brake issue became a TSB after I already had 36k on it. They won't budge though... that's a rule they don't break. Unless the dealership just does it privately for a good customer.

You gotta love paying out of your pocket for someone elses mistakes. :flame:
What ever happened to the customer is always right? I love my FJ but every day I keep hearing stuff that makes me more and more dissapointed with Toyota and how they cover and care for their customers. If I spend 20+K on a vehicle I would really expect a bit more than just 3 year/36Kmi warrenty.
Honestly for most people who drive their car daily they hit 36k quite a bit earlier than 3 years. If Toyota's reliability is as good as they claim ( back in the 80s and 90s, today's reliability is questionable) they know that their product will easily go past 3y/36k with out much or any issues. They should have the extended warrenty be the factory warrenty instead of another money making scheme to screw the customer.

....Sorry about the rant. Its Finals Week and I am lacking much sleep. This subject just happened to grind my gears.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
ahhh... IMO there are more problems on other manufacaturers vehicles. I have friends with Subarus, Jeeps, and Chevys that have had a lot more problems than I have had with all of the Toyota I've owned combined. All manufactures are skimping these days. Plus, the FJ is a completely new model... every new release of a vehicle has kinks to be ironed out.

As far as the warranty... in most cases, it is sufficient... However, My fiance's Jeep, on the other hand wasn't. It came with a manufacturers 15k bumper-bumper and 36k mile drive train waranty. That sucked! Then you had to dish out another couple grand to get it extended to 60k drive train. We had to bring it in to the shop a dozen times the first year to fix things.... and now it's litterally falling apart with 50k miles on it. Everything we had replaced the first year has broke again... and now isn't covered under warranty. Sure it runs and goes down the road. But, it rattles like an old junk yard truck... and we baby that thing. My FJ gets used pretty hard and has almost the same miles as the jeep... but it is as solid as the day I bought it. I could go on and on... bottom line: We'll never buy a Jeep again.

We're looking to buy a Tacoma by the end of year. So, I'm not dissapointed one bit with the service or the quality of Toyota.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Everyone always thinks the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Well it's not! In most cases there is a pitbull waiting on the other side ready to take a chunk out of your ass.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The TSB # is T-SB-0334-08 Front Seat Cushion Gradually Lowers

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Sponge Bob! Going to call my dealer in the morning...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey all, i didn't have the sinking seat syndrome. mine actualy broke something in the base. i pulled up to a stop sign, gave her the go pedal and it went POP and droped all the way to the floor. pulling the handle was worthless as it felt as it wasnt attached to any thing. took her back to my dealer and they said we'll get you a new seat. i was told that because it has air bags in it they cant replace just the base. true or not i dont know, but im happy they didnt give me any hassle.

scotty

1 - 20 of 104 Posts