Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is just what I was looking for! Brought my FJ in last time for this problem and they said there was no TSB's for this problem... Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
anyone had to have theirs replaced a second time yet? I'm off to Toyota dealership tomorrow morning for them to check out my seat that I had put in less than a year ago. However, it's a new dealership for me as I've since moved from MA to NC - I hope I don't have any issues; my last dealership was a breeze to work with, and had my seat and install done next day in about 1 hour.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So after reading all the posts on Sinking Seat I took my car into the dealership. I have a 2008. I explained the situation as well as my knowledge gained from this site. They told me they cannot warranty an issue unless they can recreate it. I explained it takes 5-7 days to manifest itself. They told me my only option was to leave the FJ with them for 5-7 days and let one of their employees drive it to and from work each day. I pointed out that I should not have to rent a car for a week to prove an issue that they already have TWO TSB's out on (073530088 and T-SB-0334-08) In addition, I was not comfortable with a stranger running my car around town for a week. They told me they could not help me.

I called Toyota Customer Care and they sent the case back to the dealer, who called me and said that if I did not want to leave it for a week that I could leave it with them for two days. They did not grasp that it takes 5 days to manifest itself. They also told me that the issue had been corrected before my FJ was built. My VIN starts with JTEBU11F18 and the "fix" occurred at VIN JTEBU11FX8K044833

I went out of town and placed a 50 pound box of printer paper on the seat while I was away, but it was not enough to drop the seat after 2 days.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to reproduce the seat sinking issue with weight and waiting. You have to introduce some bouncing around. Leaving it parked isn't going to prove anything. I would go back to Toyota customer care with your case number... and tell them to direct you to a different dealership that will take care of this problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My dealer tells me I need to wait for the regional rep to come inspect my FJ before they will cover it under warranty. I don't understand what kind of inspection there could be. If it falls within the VIN range and a customer reports that the seat is sinking then the TSB seams to indicate that the seat needs to be replaced. Nowhere in the TSB does it say anything about inspection.

My dealership is such a PITA. I wish it were the one that I have purchased 3 Toyotas from. Unfortunately, I moved 2500 miles since the purchase.

·
Registered
181 Posts
they are full of crap I'm on my third (3rd ) complete replacement drivers seat
they do not have to recreate the problem it is a safety hazard and you should state that to them there is a inherent design problem with the drivers seat height mechanism i have an 08 model also

·
Registered
355 Posts
My dealer tells me I need to wait for the regional rep to come inspect my FJ before they will cover it under warranty. I don't understand what kind of inspection there could be. If it falls within the VIN range and a customer reports that the seat is sinking then the TSB seams to indicate that the seat needs to be replaced. Nowhere in the TSB does it say anything about inspection.

My dealership is such a PITA. I wish it were the one that I have purchased 3 Toyotas from. Unfortunately, I moved 2500 miles since the purchase.
**UPDATE**

The TEC rep denied the claim saying that he could not replicate the problem. My service manager argued with him saying that the problem was replicated by the dealership. Apparently, after talking to someone higher up, the seat is now going to be covered under warranty. The dealer has to order he seat. Hopefully, it will arrive soon and I can see if this fixes the problem.

My dealer tells me that the seat costs $2,300, because of the airbags in it. That seems a bit outrageous. I have a Cadillac CTS-V with leather Recaro seats with heaters and blowers, 14 way power adjustable, and they are only $1,700 apiece. Ten percent of the price of a new vehicle seems a bit steep for 1 driver's seat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
**UPDATE**

My dealer tells me that the seat costs $2,300, because of the airbags in it. That seems a bit outrageous. I have a Cadillac CTS-V with leather Recaro seats with heaters and blowers, 14 way power adjustable, and they are only $1,700 apiece. Ten percent of the price of a new vehicle seems a bit steep for 1 driver's seat.
Remember, that's in DD's...Dealer Dollars...if you go to the conversion chart...

DD $2,300= $950 Real American Dollars....don't forget the markup...

I once had a Honda stealership try to charge me $2200 for used transmission. I called the SAME junkyard they did and bought it for $400. There's retail markup and stealership markup...they will do you wrong EVERY chance THEY get! I didn't give them this repution....they earned it!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Mine just broke for the 2nd time. 58,000 miles. 2007 TRD.

We will see what Toyota has to say

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a Cadillac CTS-V with leather Recaro seats with heaters and blowers, 14 way power adjustable, and they are only $1,700 apiece.
I don't buy that for a second.

For example, people who've had the seats stolen on their Honda S2000 have generally had to pay around $4500 each to replace them.

Porsche GT2 seats? $6795/pair at discount.

$1700? Perhaps the option price, but not the price you'd pay if you needed to order one from your Cadillac dealer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ugh, wish I had seem this thread a month ago. I have an '08 with 12,000 miles but its a month out of warranty today. I thought it was just because I weigh 260 lbs. I'll give my dealership a try anyways.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As previously stated, apparently the extended warranty covers this. My personal feeling was that it should be covered past teh 3/36,000 miles. I opened a case with Toyota, and I suggest that anyone else do the same, regardless of if it is covered or not, as they need a stack of complaints to really do anything

The seat is being replaced today. My understanding is that the seat was improved in 2009. My previous replacement was in 2008.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Wow!
Thanks for the resurrection of this thread!

I thought that it was just me getting used to the seat.
Gonna head to the dealer.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bought mine last August and had it replaced a couple months after due to the sinking. They couldn't replicate the problem at the dealership, but replaced it without giving me any grief. The only problem is that after they replaced the first one, I got a popping sound when I would make turns and my weight would shift in the seat, and they replaced it again, but the popping sound is still there, so I may be looking at a third seat!! Sinking issue is gone though.

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Mine just started this about a month ago, and I recalled seeing this thread way back when.

Timing is everything, now I don't have to use that bothersome search feature! :lol:

·
Registered
467 Posts
FYI -- The replacement seat is different than the 07/08 seat. It has an additional adjuster for the thigh height. Apparently the seat height adjuster was redesigned in 2009.

Anyway, a by-product is that it was a complete seat replacement, including new cover material.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I was surfing forums and found this. My 07 has this too. It's a passive annoyance, but if they'll fix it, great. I have an appt Monday to get it checked out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
FYI -- The replacement seat is different than the 07/08 seat. It has an additional adjuster for the thigh height. Apparently the seat height adjuster was redesigned in 2009.

Anyway, a by-product is that it was a complete seat replacement, including new cover material.
My '07 had leg/thigh adjustment (round knob toward front of seat). I thought the only change for the seats (I believe this was added for the '09 and after year models) was the active head restraint system for the front seats.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My '07 had leg/thigh adjustment (round knob toward front of seat). I thought the only change for the seats (I believe this was added for the '09 and after year models) was the active head restraint system for the front seats.
Did you buy it new? Or used? I had never heard of an 07 with the leg/thigh adjuster.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts