81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
mine too

·
Registered
439 Posts
My dealership thought I was crazy, as you all have experienced as well, when I tried to convince them that the seat was sinking. I am soooooo glad I am not alone here. I thought it was just my seat and decided I would live with it. But, this sucks and I don't want to have to deal with this. I adjust the seat ALL the time! Because I notice damn near everything, and had a case with Toyota regarding a rare instance of my own, I started to notice that my line of sight in my rear-view mirror was changing. That's when I noticed the seat was sinking. My dealership refuses to do anything because they can't replicate it. No kidding, it doesn't happen every 30 seconds!!!!! Arrrrrgh. So, I will show them this email and see what we can do. Thanks for being the best forum out there!!!!!!

My other issue was related to a vibration or loud hum between 18 to 30 miles an hour. It was quite evident and Toyota refused to acknowledge it. Long story short, after much persistence, they issued one of their regional representative to take a look at it. They mounted all kinds of vibration sensors and realized it was in the front differential. If I said that right. LOL They basically said that it happens in only a few FJ's and I was one of them. I hope no one else comes across that. It was crazy. It started out as a very low hum, but I can pick out any difference from one day to the next. Not sure if that's a gift or a curse LOL. Gradually, it became louder and louder until they could actually hear it and feel it themselves. It was a crazy experience none the less.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jim Norton Toyota in Lawton, OK just replaced mine at no charge. The whole seat was replaced, even the armrest! I have over 48000 miles on my '08 FJ, but they covered the replacement due to it being a safety issue, even though I was over by about 12000 miles. Mine would drop all the way down if I hit a bump, pretty scary when it happened the first time on the freeway! I would try calling some other local dealers, or not so local if that is what it takes, would be worth the drive, since they can do it while you wait. It took them about 30 min to remove my seat and install the new one. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brand new, off the lot, July 2007.
Bought mine new in July '07 too. I've owned several Tacos in the past and I've learned if you buy anything the first year it's out (cars, TV's, etc.), you buy the extended warranty too...because there always seems to be some sort of bug-a-boos that they don't find till they've been on the road for a while.

So far the only thing I've had to use it on, was for the drivers seat sagging as noted here, several months ago. Had an interesting discussion with the factory rep. that came out to review how I got in and out of my FJ....seemed he was of the opinion the seats were sagging because owners legs were pushing down the adjusting lever....we had words and I did a couple of entering and exiting demonstrations to show him how misplaced his opinion was....so that was finally ruled in my favor. Funny enough the first seat they installed had the same problem, it wouldn't stay up when adjusted. The dealer contacted the factory rep. and had another one shipped out that was double checked before offering it up to replace mine. Fortunately the second one was a charm and it does not settle down at all, unless I adjust it down:soapbox:

I think the only other problem I've had with my FJ is one of the internal lights burnt out and I had to replace it. OH YEAH and the bird that was stuck in my transmission was taken care of too......but that wasn't an extended warranty coverage issue, factory took care of that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have 1400 miles on a new 2011, and I have this problem. Relayed my concerns and the dealer service advisor is talking to his warranty clerk, but anticipates no problem replacing the entire seat, due to the inclusion of the airbags. Just thought I'd let all know it was not resolved a long time ago as it should have been

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK I have a 2010 do I have the updated seat that does not sink? The only time mine has sunk so far is when one of the parking attendants parks my FJ and screws with the seat. I have noticed that sometimes I get a small move down but only like 1/2 or less pump. But I weigh 245 lbs.

Toyota Support Case No. 073530088 Issued For Sinking Seat Syndrome

dukeofjuke previously said:
My dealership was issued a Support Case Number by Toyota Motor Corporation based on my complaints about the driver's seat gradually sinking from its highest position to its lowest position.

When my FJ was new, I thought my sinking seat was merely an inconvenience, but it quickly progressed into an annoyance followed by a genuine concern for my safety and the well being of the occupants in my vehicle. I now realize that this situation may develop to a point where the driver's seat may suddenly and without warning drop from an elevated position while the vehicle is in motion.

My Southeast Toyota (SET) dealership and Toyota Corporation share my concern for the safe operation of my vehicle as evidenced by the issuance of a support case number. Now it's time for all FJ owners plagued by this problem to insist that their respective dealerships formally document their "sinking seat" problem by notifying Toyota Corporation. Please refer your Toyota Service Advisor to Toyota Support Case No. 073530088 and you can mention that this support case number was issued to Toyota Of Melbourne, 24 N. Harbour City Blvd., Melbourne, FL 32935 (321) 254-8888.

By the way, I know one forum member whose seat (refer to thread "Sinking Seat Syndrome" dated 07-24-07) was replaced under warranty by his dealership and sent to Toyota in California for evaluation. Hopefully, his defective seat, my Support Case Number and all forthcoming forum members' complaints will provide the impetus for Toyota to solve this problem and issue corrective action in the form of a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

I'm pleased to report that my dealership finally agreed to replace my sinking driver's seat after thirteen (13) months, five (5) service visits and 27,191 miles.

The proverbial "squeaky wheel" got the seat but I could not have done this without the help from all the forum members who posted their SSS (sinking seat syndrome) complaints. During every service visit, I gave my service advisor copies of all the recent posts regarding SSS. Finally, a post by forum member "bph" on 08-24-08 tipped the scale in my favor. bph reported that his driver's seat failed in a dangerous manner and his dealership replaced it under warranty.

Please be advised that a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) has NOT been issued for this problem. My service advisor said that Toyota made a change to the driver's seat as evidenced by a revised part number 71020-3D032-B0 SEAT ASSY, FR LH. As the result of this part number change, my documented complaints and the help from my fellow forum members, my service advisor said the replacement of my seat was warranted.
I find this very interesting since the 2003 up 4runners still have seat problems with the manual versions of their drivers seats. I cannot believe Toyota has not fixed this yet!

Toyota 4Runner Forum

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Driver seat movement

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Seat problem part 2

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Seat Problem Part 3

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Clunk/Loose Drivers Seat
Here is an older (2003) but very informative thread on the seat issues the 4runner has been seeing. The second page has the best information:

Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - 03 4Runner seat rattle
Lastly, and most importantly, you need to make them aware that you are concerned for your welfare because this defective seat could potentially fail suddenly while driving and injure you, the occupants of your vehicle or any other vehicles in harm's way. Check out bph's post on 08-24-08 where he reported "my seat height adjuster completely failed today. It felt like I was going to fall into the back seat when it let go. A bit scary to say the least." This will get your dealership's attention.
The TSB for this appears to be 0334-08, according to my repair ticket.

The seat seems identical to the original. Well, maybe a bit harder
because I haven't had two years of breaking it in. The arm rest doesn't
feel like it pivots forward quite so much. Maybe 10 degrees less forward
pivoting. Not an issue for me since I always lift it up a bit. Otherwise,
no immediately obvious differences.
Your test for "sinking seat syndrome" aka SSS is straight forward. Elevate your seat to the highest adjustment possible and then wait at least five (5) days. After the fifth day, pull up on your seat adjuster lever. If the seat cannot be adjusted any higher, your seat is not sinking. If the seat is able to be pumped even one notch upward, then your seat suffers from SSS.

Note: Make sure that no one drives your FJ during the test period otherwise the adjustment my be compromised. Also, be aware when you enter and exit your vehicle that you don't accidentally catch the adjustment lever on your clothing.

By the way, my old seat sank faster as the FJ got older. My new seat does not sink at all.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
OK I have a 2010 do I have the updated seat that does not sink? The only time mine has sunk so far is when one of the parking attendants parks my FJ and screws with the seat. I have noticed that sometimes I get a small move down but only like 1/2 or less pump. But I weigh 245 lbs.
Try this:
Raise your seat as high as it will go.
Drive like this for about 2 weeks (assuming you drive the FJ every day)
At the end of the two weeks, try and raise the seat as high as it will go again. If it won't raise, you probably don't have the issue. If it needs a few pumps or more to get all the way up, you might have the problem.
Do this again for another two weeks. If you again have to pump the handle a couple times to get it all the way up, then you for sure have the sinking seat issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Try this:
Raise your seat as high as it will go.
Drive like this for about 2 weeks (assuming you drive the FJ every day)
At the end of the two weeks, try and raise the seat as high as it will go again. If it won't raise, you probably don't have the issue. If it needs a few pumps or more to get all the way up, you might have the problem.
Do this again for another two weeks. If you again have to pump the handle a couple times to get it all the way up, then you for sure have the sinking seat issue.
Thanks, I've done this and the best I can get is 1/2 or less pump. Do you think I have the problem?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Thanks, I've done this and the best I can get is 1/2 or less pump. Do you think I have the problem?
If after about two weeks thats all you have, i'd say no.

Just wait until you are close to the end of the 3year/36K mile original warranty. If you are having the problem then and it is requiring a few pumps, you will then get an entirely new seat. Its what i did.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is there a TSB for the 2009 too?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
TSB-0334-08 states it is for model year 2007 & 2008 only.

The production change at the assembly point was made:

for 2WD vehicles change was made after production number 006989
for 4WD vehicles change was made after production number 044833

And according to the TSB (which I have in front of me) it is covered under the "Toyota Comprehensive Warranty" which is in effect for 36 mos or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date (the date of first sale).

So unless there is a new TSB I doubt the 2009 model is covered. They actually made production changes in mid 2008 to correct the problem.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Weird? I have a 2010 that sinks weekly. I am scheduled to meet the service manager the next time I bring it in so that I can talk to him about the seat. If this was supposedly fixed in 2008, I may have some troubles here. :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just bought my 08 TT and adjusted the seat when I drove it home. I noticed within the week that my rear view mirror was no longer where I wanted it. No one else had driven it yet. Weird, I thought, so I readjusted it thinking maybe my wife got in it or something. Then it happened again and I thought, weird, I'll check the forum. Saw this here so I boosted the seat back up and sure enough within the week again it was back down! I'm at 80k miles no warranty so we'll see how this goes. I'm in SLC, Utah area if anyone knows of a dealer that has already done this. I'll print out the TSB and take it in this week. If I find someone that does it, I'll post here so others know. I think it IS a safety issue, especially since some members here have had theirs jolt to the bottom and not just be slowly. My first Toyota and my dream vehicle, don't let me down Toyota. Here we go . . .

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am having all kind of problems with my FJ including the seat thing. They won't do **** for me and I have a CostGuard warranty. They said that there is no bulletin on the issue today at Boch Toyota in Norwood MA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, I too thought I was losing my mind on my seat sinking in my 07 FJ. I have to repump the lever about once a week. It's not a terrible change, but I noticed it because I kept having to readjust my rearview mirror. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ive been noticing that the seat in my 2011 seems to sink after about a week also. I was going to do a search to see if anyone came up with a SAFE way to shim the seat up a bit.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts