Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. I guess asking for pics was asking for too much. :lol:

So, I'll post some potential color combos. Thoughts? Suggestions? I think I like the first one the best, although these samples are leather, not Okole.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
They all look good

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Yeah, i am not a fan of the Cabo Cruiser seats. I am going to end up getting black with perforated black inserts. I am not too crazy about wild seats. Also, good luck having white on your seats. Whether it be leather or neoprene, it will be dirty very quickly.

I like the picture of the first seat you posted.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I ended up ordering my Okoles in all black. I would have done black outside and white inside, but that would show dirt and wear so much more - a lesson I learned from my last xterra with Okoles - black outside, matching yellow inside. Those showed dirt badly and had to be washed constantly - because I was real picky about appearance there.

Black all around - more function than form - excellent protection with less worry about staining as they get used.

Good luck in your decision tho.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
42 Posts
what about the airbags, I think I remember my TT seats having an airbag tag, and i thought it meant they had airbags in the side of the seat which meant no seat covers, but I could be completely off. I'll double check again.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
OK. I guess asking for pics was asking for too much. :lol:

So, I'll post some potential color combos. Thoughts? Suggestions? I think I like the first one the best, although these samples are leather, not Okole.

for Wet Okole's, i don't think you can get the covers to look like the first picture. you can do the second combo if you don't put a cover on your headrest. the third combo, with black on the outside and white on the inside with white piping, is exactly what wet okole can do. teh fourth picture, i'm not sure is wet okole can do...can't remember if they do two-tone without black being the outside color. i may be wrong on all my assumptions, but i know with almost 100% certainty that Wet Okole can do the third option.

Here are my Wet Okoles. i don't have a Trail Teams FJ, but the light gray inset with black outer will give you an idea of what white and black may look like. also, the Wet Okoles do have an opening for air bags...you just have to tell them when you order.

·
Registered
268 Posts
what about the airbags, I think I remember my TT seats having an airbag tag, and i thought it meant they had airbags in the side of the seat which meant no seat covers, but I could be completely off. I'll double check again.
The Okoles have a covered slit provision for the airbag equipped FJ's.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great advise guys thanks!

I guess I'm going to have to agree with not going with white because of the dirt factor. :( Would look great though! It's probably why Toyota went with all black too.

Black with grey might be OK right? Does grey show dirt badly too? FloJo, does the grey match the grey in the FJ well?

I've read from a few that going with perforated centers could be a problem for dirt/mud. Comments? I've noticed in my TT that the current seats seem to be dust magnets and they seem to look smudged and dirty often.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Great advise guys thanks!
Does grey show dirt badly too? FloJo, does the grey match the grey in the FJ well?
i've had mine on for a few months now and they still look great! i have cleaning solution, which you are supposed to do regularly, but i haven't used it yet, except for an initial coating before i installed them. the grey does not match perfectly, but it is damn close. before they were installed, they looked much darker than the factory grey. after they were installed, it looks almost perfect.

hey.. someone put a trd on your seat..

yeah...i TuRDed my seats

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wolf,

When you get your Okoles installed, would you share a few pics?

Thanks.

I ended up ordering my Okoles in all black. I would have done black outside and white inside, but that would show dirt and wear so much more - a lesson I learned from my last xterra with Okoles - black outside, matching yellow inside. Those showed dirt badly and had to be washed constantly - because I was real picky about appearance there.

Black all around - more function than form - excellent protection with less worry about staining as they get used.

Good luck in your decision tho.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, i am not a fan of the Cabo Cruiser seats. I am going to end up getting black with perforated black inserts.
I like the picture of the first seat you posted.
What is it that you don't like about the Cabo Cruisers..fit, durability, practicality, cost? If it is the color (as in the pic), I undertand and agree. I would go for perforated black in the seat bottom and black as well. What vendor and style are you considering?

Are those do-it-yourself covers or the real deal reupholstering?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Wolf,

When you get your Okoles installed, would you share a few pics?

Thanks.
Ask and ye shall receive. Just got them today and put them in. Took me about two hours as it was a much more involved install than my xterra ones were. The custom decals are iron-ons but mighty cool regardless. Don't know why I thought they were embroidered. What can I say, I'm a tard.

A couple of things to note from my install...

• The rear seat covers require removal of a seat belt anchor bolt so the cover can be wrapped around the seat. Look at your rear seats and you'll see what I mean.
  • The stock front FJ seats have a nice protective splash-flap on the lower back areas. Those must be flipped up under the seatcovers on install. Simple to do, they are held in place by elastic bands hooked beneath the seat to a couple of rings. You will later use those rings to secure the Wet Okole flaps the same way.
  • Wet Okole says the seatcovers have a hole for your armrests that can be manhandled OVER the armrests... HAHAHA... Yeah right. It was like an elephant trying to cornhole a zebra. So, I removed the armrests to facilitate the install. Sidenote - They cut the damn holes wrong too and even forgot the passenger-side one as well, so I had to cut that from scratch (just put the seat-cover on and feel for the hole like a blind man at an orgy - then pinch, pull, and cut with ordinary scissors. Widen as needed).
  • Lastly, the back seatcovers are a bit of a trick to get the bottom flaps around the plastic backs for velcro attachment to the back cover fabric. It is easiest if you angle the seats slightly toward you so the gap will be the largest underneath the seat backs.
Other than that, it is a simple install - just stretch, yank, pull, and snap...

Alright, enough yap - here's the money-shot.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i did mine all black heres a pic so u can see what that looks like, i wanted grey and black but also didnt want to worry about them always being dirty.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Thanks for the pics guys! I still haven't made up my mind between Okole and the Cabo Cruiser leather.
That's a tough call really. It depends on what you intend their use to be. I think the leather looks better honestly - I'd do a white insert, black outer panels in a leather cover. But for me, I chose the Wet Okoles so I can get in after kayaking or with muddy legs/paws from hiking and if necessary just yank the covers off and wash them. With leather, there's a bigger chance of doing damage if you spill something on them, etc. Wet Okoles even last longer the more you wash them. If you do go the Wet Okole route, be sure to get the "maintenance kit" which includes cleaner, deodorizer, and a UV protectant (they will degrade in direct sunlight faster without it).

Best of luck in your decision. Be sure to post up pics when it's all said and done. :bigthumb:

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
My FJ is my daily driver and most of the time it won't get off the pavement. I'm hoping to do some easy FJ camping in the future, but that is as rough a life as this FJ will ever see. :lol:

I think a white insert Cabo would look really good, but I'm concerned about the white not looking so white in a short period of time, even if I'm careful. If this is true, what other color besides white would look good with the TT? (edit: and don't say black! :lol:)

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts