Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was in an accident in 2008 FJ, went and bought a 2010 TT.

Wanted a 3 inch lift on the 2008, still want one now for clearance purposes. My main goal is an all-around weekend warrior type build that drives well as a daily driver but can also go up what I throw at it. Is it worth messing with the stock trail teams setup? What can you tell me about the advantages of either? I don't have much understanding of the TT hardware.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Congrats on the 2010 TT purchase! I own one of those as well :) I think it depends on the trails you go up in CO. Are you rock crawling? I've done some rock crawling on my stock suspension in Arizona (when I first bought my FJ). It was very capable. It just really depends on what you need the clearance for.

For me personally, I don't have a lift b/c I cannot fit into my own parking garage if I go down that route. I may consider it in the future, but for now, my FJ gets me where I need to go off road.

That being said, if you have the funds for a lift, certainly do it if you are so inclined. :) Lots of great options that perform well on and off road!

Reactions: Winterpeg

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
Keep in mind the kits from KING, Fox, ELKA etc will all need to rebuilt at some point (2-4 yrs depending on where you are and your maintenance habits) there is a cost.
Can you have your FJ sit on stands for a week or two while they are being rebuilt?

IMO run the stock set up as long as you can and do your homework on the various options - buy once cry once.

Reactions: FJQueue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the 2010 TT purchase! I own one of those as well :) I think it depends on the trails you go up in CO. Are you rock crawling? I've done some rock crawling on my stock suspension in Arizona (when I first bought my FJ). It was very capable. It just really depends on what you need the clearance for.

For me personally, I don't have a lift b/c I cannot fit into my own parking garage if I go down that route. I may consider it in the future, but for now, my FJ gets me where I need to go off road.

That being said, if you have the funds for a lift, certainly do it if you are so inclined. :) Lots of great options that perform well on and off road!
Some rock crawling, not super often. Haven't had any issues running stock around here (Vail CO) but was frustrated when I took it to Moab and couldn't do everything I wanted to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind the kits from KING, Fox, ELKA etc will all need to rebuilt at some point (2-4 yrs depending on where you are and your maintenance habits) there is a cost.
Can you have your FJ sit on stands for a week or two while they are being rebuilt?

IMO run the stock set up as long as you can and do your homework on the various options - buy once cry once.
What would be your recommendation for a "buy once cry once" kit?

·
Registered
97 Posts
6112 and the 5160 combo is great for adding capability without spending too much, but still pricier than 5100s (which would be the bare minimum most would put on). The 6112s and 5160s can also be rebuilt when the time comes, but the set up seems to last quite a while before needing a rebuild. Read some of the stickies in the suspension forum as it has a very well put together list of different lifts and prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts