Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advantages to either. I love the look of a tube bumper but they don't look very aerodynamic. Just mean:bigthumb: Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
210 Posts
First off, check out this thread: Complete Front Bumper Comparison

I'm not sure there is a definite advantage of one over the other. There are pros and cons for each in general, but there are real differences among the various brands of each style.

I think in general, the plate bumpers may offer a bit more protection in full on impact (auto vs auto, auto vs. animal, etc.) but the trade off is that they are usually heavier and will cause front-end sag (or at least a nose dive when braking) if you don't beef up the suspension. However, the protection that a particular bumper offers varies considerably. To me, it appears that the ARB bumper offers the most protection. Not only does it have the regular plate bumper but also has the tubing that protects the grill and actually wraps all the way around the marker lenses. In an accident, as much of that front end plastic you can protect, the less it costs to repair. But, again, the ARB is the heaviest (I think) bumper out there. Some of the other bumpers can be configured with various hoops and may offer similar protection.

For off-road purposes, I think they are equivalent. They both offer protection up front that is superior to the stock bumper and there is no plastic to get destoyed (especially those pesky wings.) Both styles can have a winch installed. But adding a winch adds weight and without beefing up the suspension you may have some sag even with the lightest bumper (except maybe the Lucrum bumper.)

As far as aerodynamics go, the style of bumper doesn't matter. The FJ has the aerodynamics of a brick and no bumper is going to help. But, the more weight you add, the worse your MPGs will be.

So look at the thread above and then decide what you want. I agree that the tube bumpers look way cool:ninja: and I prefer the lighter weight but that's just my personal preference. Others prefer the look of the plate bumpers. So the choice is really up to you.

Good luck. Enjoy the madness.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
When driving a "brick on wheels",I am certain that the aerodynamics of the bumper are a moot point. Either flat or tube, will be better than the stock bumpers in terms of aesthetics.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My vote is a well designed tube bumper.....less weight and they are strong.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I've run big steel flat plate heavy bumpers...I've run railroad tie and concrete 4" tube front protection. After many years of watching Nascar and many other race motorsports I just will stick with what I believe is best for me....I will just leave it at that! I know everybody develops a opinion... over time...Sooo if you have enjoyed and participated in a motor sport...Like I said...I just follow what the Pro's do... and I try and follow what they do and use! :rocker:

Don't take my advice...Just do some research and see for yourself :bigthumb:

·
Registered
524 Posts
fj6high-
That is a nice tube bumper is it a toy outfitters bumper or home made?
Did you have the universal winch mount fabricated? If so, who made it.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but this style of bumper is very nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts