Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i have not posted in a long time but have been thinking about something. i want to buy a pair of tube doors, but the only problem is i live in NJ and the weather isnt always perfect. i was wondering if anyone has or could try to create something to throw on top of the tube doors incase it starts to rain while they are on so you dont have to change the doors and will protect the inside of the rig.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I know this sounds funny, but it's a simple,cheap, and fast solution. If you have a roof rack that is... I bought two shower curtains, with cheapo rings... and just hang the curtains on the roof rack, keeps her nice and dry, easy to store, and quick to put on and take off :cheers:

they have some pretty cool curtains these days too... jolly rogers, devil ducky's, tattoo flash and what not... I can suggest some sites ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I know this sounds funny, but it's a simple,cheap, and fast solution. If you have a roof rack that is... I bought two shower curtains, with cheapo rings... and just hang the curtains on the roof rack, keeps her nice and dry, easy to store, and quick to put on and take off :cheers:

they have some pretty cool curtains these days too... jolly rogers, devil ducky's, tattoo flash and what not... I can suggest some sites ;)
This I have to see a picture of.........PLEEZE??

Doc

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
This I have to see a picture of.........PLEEZE??

Doc

X2!

Maybe finding some old soft doors from a Jeep and modding the material to make them to fit the tube doors?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
A shower curtain is a creative solution, but drivability would be a negative? Just have to wait out the storm. I would think a local soft-top repair shop could strech and afix a clear PVC skin?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Any boat cover shop could fab up a cover that would snap on and off. You could even make a frame and cover it and then attach to the tube doors either with pins or brackets that you could remove very fast.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
yeah having the tube doors is certainly a sacrifice... if you go to the extent of making panels and what not there's not really a purpose in having tube doors.. It's not bad actually driving in the rain in all honesty... it's when you're parked is when you have a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
First time I kissed my girlfriend was under a freeway bridge with no top- doors on the jeep in a heavy rain storm.

Now that were no longer together I should have just kept driving. LOL :)
________
MariPoly live

·
Registered
501 Posts
First time I kissed my girlfriend was under a freeway bridge with no top- doors on the jeep in a heavy rain storm.

Now that were no longer together I should have just kept driving. LOL :)
Naw, you was probably just trying to recoup an investment you made earlier that day, perhaps by taking her to a fine restaurant, such as Denny's. Why do you think they call one of their main dishes (and most costly!) the "Grand Slam"? You should have been rounding 3rd base and coming home.:lol:

·
fka trailman
849 Posts

thats a dam good idea

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
So... why tube doors?

Thinking outside the box here...

It's not like you've built a cage inside the body. You're not completing a support structure that you're going to lay the vehicle over on. So it's mostly just a hint of a door to keep you feeling a little more closed in, while increasing your view... right?

If so, why not just get a set of junk doors and build low cut half doors while retaining the frame?

Door removal and installation isn't terribly hard. With a set of these, you could swap back and forth just like tube doors, you'd get great wheel views, just like tube doors, and you could easily build a snap-on window made of standard 40 mil clear PVC. It would actually be pretty weatherproof because the doors would have the normal seals.

You could even put a zipper flap in your PVC window and just leave it there.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
There are tube doors available for the FJ. What I would like to see if someone make soft doors for the FJ. Then you would not have to worry about rain, you keep them off in the back of the FJ and throw them on when it starts to rain..

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
So... why tube doors?

Thinking outside the box here...

It's not like you've built a cage inside the body. You're not completing a support structure that you're going to lay the vehicle over on. So it's mostly just a hint of a door to keep you feeling a little more closed in, while increasing your view... right?

If so, why not just get a set of junk doors and build low cut half doors while retaining the frame?

Door removal and installation isn't terribly hard. With a set of these, you could swap back and forth just like tube doors, you'd get great wheel views, just like tube doors, and you could easily build a snap-on window made of standard 40 mil clear PVC. It would actually be pretty weatherproof because the doors would have the normal seals.

You could even put a zipper flap in your PVC window and just leave it there.

I would assume that, as a general statement, the only "factory" doors that will fit an FJC is FJC doors. How much are those running these days? I definitely smell what you're stepping in, and it smells good, but I think it would be more cost effective to go tube door, with a skin.

I could be wrong, JMHO.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The conversion of real FJ doors is great, but not too many doors available for a decent cost. Then if the door isn't in your FJ color you need to get it painted. It is cheaper to just buy/make tube doors. I think I spent $40 for the latches and maybe $40-50 for the steel for two doors. You've got options, neodymium magnets in the edge of a waterproof shell, just slap it on and off (probably won't hold at highway speeds but who knows). A wire frame with waterproof shell that attaches to the tube door. Creativity can solve most problems, take the shower curtain for example.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I would assume that, as a general statement, the only "factory" doors that will fit an FJC is FJC doors. How much are those running these days? I definitely smell what you're stepping in, and it smells good, but I think it would be more cost effective to go tube door, with a skin.

I could be wrong, JMHO.
I would figure on a junkyard acquisition. I wouldn't even mind if they were a little dented since they're bound for metal work. If they asked for more than 100 bucks for the pair, I'd urinate on their (non-electrified) fence and walk away.

Color wouldn't matter since they'd have to be painted anyways after cutting and fabricating. I'd basically rattle can them black because they'd be intended for abuse. Black goes with anything. In my opinion, flat black body parts are a nice addition to any dented scratched and mud spattered 4x4. ;)

The biggest problem I'd see with tube doors and fabric (other than the fact that they're often destroyed by rocks and vegetation), is that the body shape of the FJC isn't made of flat planes.

Jeeps and FJ40s which work awesome with soft doors are basically flat sided.

The FJC body form is all long arcs and subtle changing curves. That's a little more difficult to fabricate with tube, but more importantly, it's going to be even more difficult to mimic with taut fabric. You'll end up with flats, "saddle curves" and concave surfaces where you probably want convexity. Of course, maybe it doesn't matter, or even creates an effect that you like... but if you don't want it, you're going to be doing some sort of rib structure just to support the fabric.

You could do that, though. You could build a pretty cool set of doors out of light tube and maybe some 18 gauge sheet metal with dimple die holes. You could add maybe a few light ribs out of thin rod stock to help support the fabric, and then a snap on skin. It would be a fun build project at the least. It would be more than a few hours of work, though. There would be designing and shaping, grinding and welding, cuttting and sewing. It's all good.

If I did all that, I'd just friggin' cry when I destroyed the thing.

Unlike the flat soft doors for Jeeps, these things would be one-off and not easily or cheaply replaced.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ I agree with all of this. I need to learn to weld. ASAP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts