Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Metaltech Tube Doors for about a month now and absolutely love them. The time me and my tube doors get to spend together is very limited though, since my wife doesn't want the baby in the FJ when they're on. So I'm switching them out almost every weekend. Taking the factory doors off and putting the tube doors on is easy, I can do it myself in under 20 minutes. Getting the factory doors back on sucks though. I've been experimenting with ropes, pullies, floor jacks, creepers, cable winch puller, anything I can think of to make it an easy process. Has any one perfected a system for doing this that requires minimal lifting and finger smashing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Build a crib for the doors out of wood. Place the crib on a floor jack for mobility and height adjustments and its like having a third hand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ps. Place old beach towels over the ctib as too not scratch you paint....hope this helps. I do this were I work when dealing with over sized truck body panels.
Bill

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
159 Posts
Open the door and, while it's still attached, build some type of rolling cradle that you can store the doors on when they're off. Then to put them back on, just roll them up and line up the bolts...My initial thought would look like an engine stand with a couple of forks sticking straight out that would protrude into the window (rolled down). Loosen the bolts, one or two pumps to take the tension off them, then remove them and roll away...zero lifting at all...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Whenever I get mine, I will probably get a motorcycle jack from harbor freight ($130 w/coupon) and use that. Item 94715. It has a flat surface that will make balancing easy. I might attach a piece of plywood with some extra carpet that I have so I don't scratch the door.

They also have a hydraulic table cart ($113 w/coupon) that might be even easier. Item 94822. Max lift height is 27-1/4". This is my preferred method but my garage is getting low on room.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw an electric hoist with remote control at harbor freight for $100. That's a little more than I was looking to pay, but I'm sure I could find a ton of other uses for it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mine required a ARB roof rack and a ratchet strap. I still would rather use a harbor freight winch though.

·
Premium Member
10,902 Posts
G'day,
Don't have tube doors, but maybe build a gib crane on your ceiling, 90 degrees to your FJ.
Slide it from side to side to secure each door, lift n separate ...
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a couple shots of the current set up. It's actually not too bad. The trick is not cranking the door up to high, then it's a complete struggle. Better to be too low. I made the part that attaches to the door out of 12 gauge hanger wire and a $.99 pool noodle.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
now i want to get tube doors.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Whenever I get mine, I will probably get a motorcycle jack from harbor freight ($130 w/coupon) and use that. Item 94715. It has a flat surface that will make balancing easy. I might attach a piece of plywood with some extra carpet that I have so I don't scratch the door.

They also have a hydraulic table cart ($113 w/coupon) that might be even easier. Item 94822. Max lift height is 27-1/4". This is my preferred method but my garage is getting low on room.
The motorcycle jack works great. This is what Wilson and I use.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Harbor Freight used to sell a jack and cradle just for installing doors. I believe it was around $200. You might check their website to see if they still have them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
878 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts