Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to finally install the Tuffy console I got a few months ago. Took a few pictures in case anyone wanted to see what's involved.

It's pretty easy. The only real work is drilling the hole for the security bolt. That's an optional step but since I plan to use my console for firearm storage at times I wanted that extra bolt in there.

The package comes with the console, lid seals, mounting bolts, keys, and instructions.

If you have a passenger armrest it'll have to come off for the console to fit. You'll need this part to cover up the hole. I got mine at the Toyota dealership for $9. Make sure you give them the year of your rig in case they were different earlier on. Part number for the 2012 was 72848-35010-B0.

Pull out the factory rubber divider from the center console and remove the cover from the passenger armrest. It just pops off.

Remove the bolt holding on the armrest. Keep all of the parts together with the bolt cover in case you sell the armrest. I just taped all of my parts together.

Armrest removed. The armrest delete cover just pops on.

Take out the stock center console bolts.

Read the directions to measure out where to drill the security bolt. Basically you just set the console in the hole and mark out where to drill. You start with a 1/4" bit as a pilot and step up to a 3/8" bit. The instructions say to watch out for your parking brake cables and not to drill more than 1/4" through the metal.

Here's where the bolt comes out. Mine came out right between the parking brake cables, right above the driveshaft ,and through the seam sealant. Almost like it was meant to be there. There's more room between the bolt and the parking brake cable than the picture shows. I did have to use a rotating head socket to get my ratchet up in there. It's a nylock nut so you'll have to have someone up top holding the bolt from spinning or if no one is around put another ratchet on it or some vice grips to keep it in place.

There's a fair amount of room in there. I could fit two fullsize frame handguns in there, not that I do that.

I'll have to figure out something else for the shotgun though.

All done. It makes for a good hand hold when you are getting in and is just in the right place for the passenger to use for the armrest.

I've had a Tuffy console in 4 different vehicles I've owned. One even stopped a thief who spent a fair amount of time trying to pry the lid off the one in my F250. He gave up. I'll have one in every vehicle I own from now on. Hope this helps people who wanted to see what's involved with the install. It's one of the easiest mods you can do. Well worth the money in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
looks great ... actually installs easier than the Roll-Top Console Cover that I put in my truck ...
:cheers:

07 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
ECGS 3rd/front diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor
Clazzio Seat Covers / Industrial Forming Roll Top Console Cover
DeMello Hybrid Sliders

Install Pending – Scuba Mod

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol rarely have i truly laughed on this forum, cheers
:king:

Ps, does it have more or less storage than the little stock bit?
If you mean the stock console "tub" then yes. The Tuffy extends up another 5 or so inches above the top of the center console. I'd say it doubles the space you have available in addition to the fact that it locks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a couple of pics from when the scumbag tried to break into my F250's Tuffy console. It's obviously a different model than the FJC console but they are both the same build quality. Now, I know, given enough time, they can be broken into. I saw one on another thread where someone got his Jeep stolen and that Tuffy console looked like a bomb went off in it. It does stop the casual break-in though and maybe makes the scumbag move on to someone easier.

Of course, this guy did $300 worth of damage to my door lock to get in but I was glad to see that my junk in the console was still there. The grey stuff on the lid was where the police dusted for fingerprints when I filed the case.

·
11,284 Posts
This is on my list of to do's. Nice Mossberg, love that gun. I've had one for 28 yrs. & it still looks brand new. The top strap Safety is great for us lefties.

Thx! :cheers:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is that third bolt just for redundancy/extra strength? If there are already 2 threaded holes there, why drill for a 3rd?

Thanks for the writeup.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is on my list of to do's. Nice Mossberg, love that gun. I've had one for 28 yrs. & it still looks brand new. The top strap Safety is great for us lefties.

Thx! :cheers:
Love the Mossberg 500. I still want a Mossberg 590 though. It's just not a true shotgun until you have a bayonet on the end. :)

Is that third bolt just for redundancy/extra strength? If there are already 2 threaded holes there, why drill for a 3rd?

Thanks for the writeup.
Yeah, they call it a "security bolt". Since it goes all the way through the body it would keep someone (in theory) from just ripping the console out of the plastic center console area and taking it with them. I guess it's just a bit more security than the two smaller bolts that secure it to the floor but don't go through the body.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
nice.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Looking awesome!! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Nice install and write-up! :cheers:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. It's an easy install. I just wanted to write it up since I could only find the installed pictures on the forum. Specifically, I wanted to see where the security bolt went.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Thanks for providing the Armrest Delete part number saved me a lot of time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wondering if you ever use the console to rest your arm on it? I hate the stock arm rest. It feels too close to my body. I like to put my arm out more and was thinking about getting this console to use to rest my arm on it. Do you think it would work for me like this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
It doesn't extend as far forward as the factory armrest (it's 4.5" shorter) but I can rest my elbow on there comfortably with the armrest up. I customized my Tuffy console a little.
Good install post, Texagon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts