Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It doesn't extend as far forward as the factory armrest (it's 4.5" shorter) but I can rest my elbow on there comfortably with the armrest up. I customized my Tuffy console a little.
Good install post, Texagon.
Thanks. I thought I was seeing things with that greenish Tuffy pad. Nice.

Just wondering if you ever use the console to rest your arm on it? I hate the stock arm rest. It feels too close to my body. I like to put my arm out more and was thinking about getting this console to use to rest my arm on it. Do you think it would work for me like this?
Yeah what ArrowFJ said. I use it for my armrest myself. I hate the stock armrests. Too close to the body and it ends right before my elbow rests on it. Unusable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quick question. I have heard the co some doesn’t come up very far. I have thought about building a center console/armrest myself but I’m not really that talented when it comes to carpentry. So is it a little low? Also I was wondering can you put a spacer in the bottom under the box to extend it up further to make it more comfortable as an armrest? How is the lid attached also? I read above it doesn’t extend far forward and was thinking was the lid removable
So you could install a lid that still locks but you can move forward and backwards to still use the cup holder when needed.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota Fj Cruiser
25 Posts
I decided to finally install the Tuffy console I got a few months ago. Took a few pictures in case anyone wanted to see what's involved.

It's pretty easy. The only real work is drilling the hole for the security bolt. That's an optional step but since I plan to use my console for firearm storage at times I wanted that extra bolt in there.

The package comes with the console, lid seals, mounting bolts, keys, and instructions.

If you have a passenger armrest it'll have to come off for the console to fit. You'll need this part to cover up the hole. I got mine at the Toyota dealership for $9. Make sure you give them the year of your rig in case they were different earlier on. Part number for the 2012 was 72848-35010-B0.

Pull out the factory rubber divider from the center console and remove the cover from the passenger armrest. It just pops off.

Remove the bolt holding on the armrest. Keep all of the parts together with the bolt cover in case you sell the armrest. I just taped all of my parts together.

Armrest removed. The armrest delete cover just pops on.

Take out the stock center console bolts.

Read the directions to measure out where to drill the security bolt. Basically you just set the console in the hole and mark out where to drill. You start with a 1/4" bit as a pilot and step up to a 3/8" bit. The instructions say to watch out for your parking brake cables and not to drill more than 1/4" through the metal.

Here's where the bolt comes out. Mine came out right between the parking brake cables, right above the driveshaft ,and through the seam sealant. Almost like it was meant to be there. There's more room between the bolt and the parking brake cable than the picture shows. I did have to use a rotating head socket to get my ratchet up in there. It's a nylock nut so you'll have to have someone up top holding the bolt from spinning or if no one is around put another ratchet on it or some vice grips to keep it in place.

There's a fair amount of room in there. I could fit two fullsize frame handguns in there, not that I do that.

I'll have to figure out something else for the shotgun though.

All done. It makes for a good hand hold when you are getting in and is just in the right place for the passenger to use for the armrest.

I've had a Tuffy console in 4 different vehicles I've owned. One even stopped a thief who spent a fair amount of time trying to pry the lid off the one in my F250. He gave up. I'll have one in every vehicle I own from now on. Hope this helps people who wanted to see what's involved with the install. It's one of the easiest mods you can do. Well worth the money in my opinion.
I installed the same console and like how heavy duty it is. I added outlets inside to charge things. center sonsole.jpg

21 - 23 of 23 Posts