Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I gave this a lot of thought and finally got it with the plan of, if I didn't like the look of it, taking the padded lid to an upholsterer and have them cover it with material that matches the seats.

But I just installed it and I think it probably looks fine. Regardless, it's an easy thing to remove - four screws and I can hand off the lid to someone and it shouldn't cost that much.

One thing that really is making me mad is that a few months ago when I got a passenger side armrest I took off that cap that covers the bolt where it attaches and put it SOMEWHERE. I can't find it anywhere.

I guess if I end up selling it (the armrest) I could make the cap part of the deal, since the buyer won't need it. But I'm irritated because I knew I set it aside somewhere and will probably find it in like ten years and wonder what the hell it is.

I will put a picture up soon of the Tuffy box. But it is really, really well made.

Here is the photo. It is misleading though, because the appearance of the different materials, visually, is much, much closer to eachother. But the Tuffy box and the FJ interior handle light very differently when photographed, evidently.

But I'm very happy with it. I still might get the top redone, but it's fine for now the way it is (and I'm picky!).

·
Registered
499 Posts
the light looks funny because you used your on camera flash
try getting some pics in the daylight without the flash, direct sunlight would be best. looks good besides the color!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks good.

Just wondering, how does it mount? I'm assuming there is some drilling involved, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i like it!

i was looking for a solution to a locking glovebox, locking dashbox (actually was gonna install a cabinet lock on my dash box)....still might.

but i do like the locking console.

reason being is that in the event of a traffic stop...a locked glovebox (etc...) is off limits to a search by the cops w/out a warrent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good.

Just wondering, how does it mount? I'm assuming there is some drilling involved, etc.
There are two ways to do it. The basic way (all I did today), if you take out that rubber divider you'll see two bolts. Take those out and they supply new ones that go in those holes and you're done.

They have a more secure install that requires some drilling but they give you additional hardware. I plan on mounting a holster in mine, when I take it out again to do that, I'll go ahead and do the extra steps to make it more secure.

The lock itself seems very, very secure.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I just installed mine on Wednesday. I'm happy with it, solid construction and takes all of 30 seconds to install. I didn't add the mongo sized bolt because I don't want to drill through the floor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but how secure is it? If it only takes a couple minutes to install wouldnt it take seconds to steal? I guess im just worried that somone would just take the whole unit.
Well, when it's locked, even the basic install requires you to remove bolts from the inside bottom of the unit. But they do offer an additionally secure installation step as well.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
comes with two bolts that insert into existing mounting locations but only mounts it to the existing console. It is solid but with some heavy duty pulling you could rip it out. The mongo bolt...requires a quick drill through floor board. Painless and takes longer to put bit in chuck than to do the drilling. Tighten it down and it is not moving unless they crawl under truck....find bolt.....cut bolt. get back into truck....pull really hard until they break the other two free from console. Then leave truck. Too much work for smash and grab....

I love mine....holds a Sig P220, extra clip and Garmin GPS nicely.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had mine for about a year and love it, I did the simple mounting the n installed the hardened bolt, love it even more. It fits like a glove. I think I paid too much for it but well worth it.

-Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
comes with two bolts that insert into existing mounting locations but only mounts it to the existing console. It is solid but with some heavy duty pulling you could rip it out. The mongo bolt...requires a quick drill through floor board. Painless and takes longer to put bit in chuck than to do the drilling. Tighten it down and it is not moving unless they crawl under truck....find bolt.....cut bolt. get back into truck....pull really hard until they break the other two free from console. Then leave truck. Too much work for smash and grab....

I love mine....holds a Sig P220, extra clip and Garmin GPS nicely.
Do you have your Sig mounted in there or just sitting in there?? If you have it mounted, would you mind emailing me a photo??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does this fit with armrests on both seats? They say it works with the driver side one specifically for some reason, is that because the passenger one is in the way?
Yeah that's right. It's off center so it can be wider. It takes the place of the passenger armrest.

You can see in that picture (not my picture) there is a small tray on the drivers side. That is about the size and of the drivers armrest and it is directly beneath that armrest. I have not found a good use for that tray, however, as the armrest needs to be moved to access it. But if the console box was built that way on the passenger side also to work with the passenger side armrest, it would just be too narrow to be practical.

I bought some of that flat black textured Rustoleum and I'm going to paint it with that this weekend, that should make it match more closely the interior. Then I still might take the lid into an upholsterer and have them cover it with either a vinyl version of that dimpled material, or the cloth that covers the armrests. Either would look good I think. But honestly, it does look pretty good just the way it is, it just didn't photograph accurately because of the flash.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts