Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought one of these yet? Do you ya'll think its worth the cost? I was looking for some better pics of it (how it mounted and so forth ) and a good price. So far the best price's Ive been able to find are around $500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You may want to PM Uphill and Volhoo. I believe they both have that box.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Has anyone bought one of these yet? Do you ya'll think its worth the cost? I was looking for some better pics of it (how it mounted and so forth ) and a good price. So far the best price's Ive been able to find are around $500 bucks.
I bought one for $350 from 4x4 Parts, Accessories, Tires, Fender Flares, Rubicon Express, Poison Spyder Customs - last November. I sold it to STHARRIS a couple of months ago. The box is solid, but it's awkward to get into, it raises the center of gravity, I had a lock problem and ended up getting a new one from Tuffy (free). I drilled the old one.

It failed on the trail when I needed to get into it and retrieve recovery gear (stored in it) when SEANK broke an axle. I couldn't get into the box on the road. After drilling the lock at home, I did get the box open.

Positives:

• The box is sturdy
  • The box fits well on the OEM rack with an exception (below)
  • The price $350 was affordable

Negatives:

• The front bracket where the box attaches to the OEM rack has a design flaw that could be fixed by using a carriage bolt instead of the bolt supplied. The rack still goes on securely but it's not "right".
  • The box weight and contents raise the center of gravity.
  • The lock that the box came with failed. I had to drill it and Tuffy sent me a replacement lock free of charge. But it was a PITA and if you were in the back woods when the lock failed, you'd be out of luck because you need to drill it to get it open.
  • It's awkward to get gear in and out of.
  • It's nearly impossible to clean under it.
  • I kept it on for several runs but ended up selling it for a loss.

A few photos per your request:

Four brackets attach the storage container to the roof.

annotated as to the location of the lock

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
This has probably been said before, but it's nice, big, sturdy and it won't allow you to park in many underground parking lots because of o'head clearance. I really like mine!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts