Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A picture paints a thousand words, and I was disappointed not to find more photos organized in one place for the installation of this bad boy. So several will follow in this thread.

Installation instructions here:

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This product utilizes the two holes that already secure the rear of the OEM console in place. In the photo, you can see the two Tuffy bolt heads that use these holes (right side in photo). The longer and thicker bolt to the left secures the box to the FJ's sheet metal underneath, but you need to drill an extra hole for it.

You will need a long 1/4" drill bit to drill a guide hole, and a long 3/8" drill bit to complete hole. I used Dewalt extended length drill bits that were about 12" long. I used a long scratch awl as a center punch to start the hole. Although the Tuffy bottom rests on the plastic console, you will discover a significant space between the OEM console bottom and the actual metal you need to drill through.

Many owners do not feel this part is necessary, but this will give you added security. NOTE: As per the PDF instructions, you will place the Tuffy Console in place to mark the holes, but remove it before drilling.

Once the drill breaks to the other side, you will need to be careful to limit its travel. According to the instructions, brake lines are close underneath. Fortunately, I managed to drill right in between them.

The bolt end you see at the end of the red arrow secures the console well. You will need someone on top to keep the bolt head from spinning while you tighten the lock nut underneath. Neither the bolt, nor the nut are stainless steel. So I globbed silicone glue onto this, and probably will apply more tomorrow morning. I also used reusable Locktite on the threads.

I see a lot of members asking about the armrests. Of course, I had both driver's and passenger's. The top of the console sits closer to the passenger. You can see there is a metal tray between the Tuffy container and the driver's seat. Therefore, the driver's armrest is fine intact. The passenger one has to be removed for this box to fit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I trimmed the OEM console rubber floor insert with sharp Chicago Cutlery scissors, and placed it inside the Tuffy Box.

These are the leftover pieces:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a great unit, and I'm so happy to finally have a place to secure items when I travel. It feels substantial, i.e., relatively heavy like a safe, not some cheap plastic unit you get at your corner auto store. Shipping weight is 15 lbs. So imagine having your bowling ball held in by two tiny bolts and your plastic console. For this reason, I felt it necessary to add the extra third bolt. I can only imagine how this might jiggle loose after repeatedly going over holes and bumps off-road.

A few concerns I will address:

(1) Once installed, I noticed a gap between the tiny shelf at the base of the Tuffy unit. See red arrow below. This shelf is not completely flush from back to front (i.e., more space toward the front).

Knowing me, I'll probably drop something in there like my driver's license. Don't ask me how or why, I'm just acknowledging Murphy's Law. A McDonald's french fry would be too big. I probably will insert weatherstripping material or something else. I'll have to sleep on this one.

(2) I still await the cover for the hole I left on the passenger seat after removing the armrest. I can't believe I paid the dealership to install the passenger armrest. It's so easy!

(3) I may consider padding this steel with some form of upholstery. The hard plastic interior of the FJ is okay, but hard metal is a bit much for me. I don't want a Sherman Tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts