Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the Tuneflex ipod holder. It seems like it could work pretty well. With the arm, the access seems to be pretty good. I bought the Belkin tunedock cup but it is just too low for easy access, taking it back.

Griffin Technology: Tuneflex - Auto Charger with Docking Cradle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I bought one and used it for about half the ride home from where I got it.

It didn't work very well for me. The cig lighter plug on the FJ is held in with a think piece of plastic so it wasnt a very solid connection and the length of the flex piece just amplified the instability.

What I ended up doing, before I bought my eclipse, is hard wired it into the aux in and added a cig plug and ran everything under the dash. I got an I squeeze and put the ipod in that and cut a slit beneath the front cup holder and ran the ipod wire under there. I used a belkin (I think) cig lighter adapter that had the fixed audio output on the lighter plug as to minimize wires. Worked pretty well and no wires were exposed.

The TuneFlex is pretty expensive too for what is it. I not reccommend it.

Good luck. I think a few people had similar set ups to mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I was worried about the stability.
If you get a chance, could you post some pics or direct me to some on your install?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was worried about the stability.
If you get a chance, could you post some pics or direct me to some on your install?

Mine was like Coreys but you didnt see any wires and I had mine mounted differently.

I used this

And wired everything behind the dash. I popped out my AUX plug and plugged in the audio cable (coming from the lighter adapter end) into it, behind the dashboard. I also wired in another cig lighter adapter that was also behind the dash.

Then I had the ipod in one of these (see below) with a little hole in the bottom so all you saw was the ipod then the belkin lighter adapter went through the bottom of the iSqueeze and into the dash where the lighter end met my new hidden lighter plug and then the audio cable came off the end of the lighter plug and went into the factory aux plug (which was then behind the dash as well. The only drawback is a little hole where the AUX input was but, had I not bought the exclipse 6600 headunit (which has killer iPod support BTW), I was going to get another factory aux plug and pop it in as to look normal.

GOOD LUCK!

I never snagged any pics. :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought the Tuneflex, and I thought it was very good. It was the cleanest design for a Nano.

I agree with the stability issue though. What I did when I installed my A-Trac switch was put a couple small screws into the sides of the 12V outlet from behind to make it tight. After that I had no problems, and I liked the height that it held the iPod.

The only problem was when I left my truck unlocked one night and came out to find the Tuneflex and iPod gone...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts