Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Special Forces Communications Sergeant (Green Beret), Tom Katis at VOXER came up with a special APP for your Smart phone. How to turn your iPhone/Android phone into a Walkie Talkie. Could be cool out on the trail as just about every body has a smart phone, even out here on the West coast.

Just finding out about this so lets all go check it out.

Voxer

Turn your iPhone into a walkie-talkie - Video - Technology

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Looked at the links you posted and couldn't find the info...does this work outside of cell phone networks? I'm guessing not (not sure how communication would happen there). Trail use could be limited by that.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to their website via my pone an down loaded the free Android app. Found ten ppl I know signed up already and chatted. Way cool. I am sure that you must have a good cell signal. Dont think it counts against monthly minutes. PM me your didgits n Ill send mine back if ya wanna try.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Downloaded TiKL & Voxer to my Android. Tikl looks easier. Voxer already wants my email address, etc.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
"Hey tell" is another option for 2-way radio type communication on an iPhone or an android OS, it does use the cellular network and uses your text message system, it's instant communication with out typing, just push and talk.

Jerry

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
It's not bad I downloaded this a while ago. A few of my friends have it as well. Just wish it was a live message though

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not bad I downloaded this a while ago. A few of my friends have it as well. Just wish it was a live message though
I would re-download as they may have updated the software. It was live talk back and forth with friends and it recorded talk from friends if I could not talk live. Kinda like voice texting. Answer when ya can type of thing.

·
Registered
792 Posts
In the Virginia & West Virginia hills that I traverse, cell phone reception is virtually non existent. Real "walkie talkies" (in the newer frequency ranges) or better yet hand held short wave is the way to go. Relying on no infrastructure is the most reliable back up IMHO.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I like HeyTell as well. Very simple to use.

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
I would re-download as they may have updated the software. It was live talk back and forth with friends and it recorded talk from friends if I could not talk live. Kinda like voice texting. Answer when ya can type of thing.
Ok I'll give it a second run when I'm home and
I have wifi

·
Registered
862 Posts
"Hey tell" is another option for 2-way radio type communication on an iPhone or an android OS, it does use the cellular network and uses your text message system, it's instant communication with out typing, just push and talk.

Jerry
Me and the wife have been using Hey-Tell for about 2 years now, no issues there, and it works across the country; when I was in D.C. and she was in TX it worked great still……...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts