Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious cant find a legit answer to this, but is it important to have the tweeters closs as possible to a mid subwooer in a component setup? I want to buy another component speaker setup for install some rear speakers in the FJ rear door area and put the tweeters in the rear pillar mounts where the so called stock speakers would have been. Is that bad of a distance from mid subwoofer to tweeter?

·
RIP Tim
885 Posts
im curious cant find a legit answer to this, but is it important to have the tweeters closs as possible to a mid subwooer in a component setup? I want to buy another component speaker setup for install some rear speakers in the FJ rear door area and put the tweeters in the rear pillar mounts where the so called stock speakers would have been. Is that bad of a distance from mid subwoofer to tweeter?
Great question, I would like to know the answer myself

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There is no rule what so ever that a tweeter must be as close to the mid range or mid-woofer. At least in the 20 years I have been in audio I have never heard of this. The only reason that auto speakers have the tweeter next to the mid range or woofer is to save on space and add a wider frequency response. This is not the case for separates. If I was to do it. I would place the tweeters in the pillars pointed right at me. I would want the highs right at ear level when driving, But that is just me. Now we can talk home audio speakers. The reason why tweeters are placed at the top of the cabinet is to get the highs as close to your ears in the listening position. Some home audio speakers have the tweeter in the middle of the speaker array or placement on the cabinet. You might have starting at the bottom a woofer then above that the midrange and then above that a tweeter then above that a mid range and then above that a woofer again. This is called a diapalito (sp) design. Most of your very high end speaker manufactures will use this configuration.

Some Speaker manufactures will use the speakers dispersion pattern and mount the mid range very high in the cabinet as close to the tweeter as possible. This is because the mid range will have a narrow dispersion pattern. Most speakers on the market have a dispersion pattern from 20 degrees to 90 degrees off center. You will find that most people like the 20-40 degree dispersion patterns.

Unfortunately for auto sound. 99% of people judge good sound based on how loud it can play only. Auto speakers usually have a dispersion of 40+ degrees off center. The thought is to get sound to all parts of the cabin, even where people will not be sitting. They do this through reflected or directed sound waves. Bose does this and that is why all there stuff sounds like crap. lets bounce the highs off the glass to direct it at the driver and the passenger. Since a car or truck can not provide a perfect listening environment, you work with what you got. In the world of Home and Pro Audio you do not want reflection of sound waves. You end up with phase cancellation in frequencies and slight echo's. There is an exception when dealing with bass. This is why a sub will work better up against a wall or even better in a corner. In the house that is. Place a sub woofer in the middle of a room is sounds like poo even a $20,000.00 one. In a car you have so many hard surfaces that you can get away with more smaller woofers in more locations to achieve the louder sound or higher SPL that some people are into.

Just know that the higher the frequency the faster it will arrive at your ear. It is impossible to time this without the proper gear. So If you can it would be worth it to place the tweeters slightly farther back from your ears and the mid rangers slightly closer if you can. So if I was putting a separate tweeter and mid range in the door for example, I would put the tweeter as high in the door and slightly recess it if it can be done. This will help in time correction of the audio signal.

Now in a real world I would look for a active stereo 3 way X-over with a time delay circuit in it and do it that way. I would also bail on the door woofers all together and again retro fit the tweeters into the pillars and use the factory dash location for my mids. But that's just me.

Hope this helps and good luck.:wave:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
That was some very good info, thanks. Do anybody have pics of speakers in the smaller door? If so would love to see your set up.

RR

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
IMO, it's really a matter of preference. I typically do not like the highs right in my face. But, if it is a good crisp sounding tweeter..... it is like butta! When you place the mids and highs closer, it usually makes things blurr together so you can't pick up the imperfections of the separate components as easily.

I agree with AceTechno about everything. Expecially, putting the mids in the dash. That would be cool... because the only thing that enjoys the FJ door speakers is the side of my calf muscle.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am gonna solicit this thread with our fj A-Pillars for front stage...

As for the rear speakers, I personaly don't like to seperate the rear mid from the tweeter that far apart, but just my personal preference. Although there is no rule for tweeter placement, like someone else mentioned before having the mid right behind you and th etweeter waaaay in th eback will make your mid sound weird by the time sound reaches you. I would almost use the rears as mid bass only at that point. I am only speaking for the FJ Set up and using the tweeters waaay in the back by the rear hatch/pillar speaker locations.

I also 100% aggree with all active system and Time alligning the speakers.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whoo reserectuing a dead thread I just bought one off ebay. I mean I bought one of your dual 10 inch subs off ebay nazar...

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
sometimes a little distance never hurts. but thats a little extreme. get some double sided mounting tape and mock it up. see how you like it. i cant imagine it being good for imaging at all.

i would have liked to keep my tweeter closer to the mid bass in my front doors, but i moved it to the a pillar because of some harsh reflections off the windshield. some day i am going to do a new crossover so i can run dedicated 4" mid in the dash with my low midrange in the door.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
briman,
I noticed my boston acoustic crossovers are adjustable im assuming based on the distance since no one has a perfect interior car for sound. On the crossover it saids I can adjust from zero to neg 2 to neg 4. Is that what that means that the higher negative the greater sound amplified? its specific to the tweeter output it saids...

sometimes a little distance never hurts. but thats a little extreme. get some double sided mounting tape and mock it up. see how you like it. i cant imagine it being good for imaging at all.

i would have liked to keep my tweeter closer to the mid bass in my front doors, but i moved it to the a pillar because of some harsh reflections off the windshield. some day i am going to do a new crossover so i can run dedicated 4" mid in the dash with my low midrange in the door.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
briman,
I noticed my boston acoustic crossovers are adjustable im assuming based on the distance since no one has a perfect interior car for sound. On the crossover it saids I can adjust from zero to neg 2 to neg 4. Is that what that means that the higher negative the greater sound amplified? its specific to the tweeter output it saids...
its to attentuate the tweeters volume level. because i can push my mids a lot harder than my tweeters, i run them at -3 db on my crossover. plus, the tweeters are in the a-pillar. i use them to match the mid a little better. in my FJ, everything is loud, so the tweeter isnt super harsh or anything, it just blends better with the mid if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts
its to attentuate the tweeters volume level. because i can push my mids a lot harder than my tweeters, i run them at -3 db on my crossover. plus, the tweeters are in the a-pillar. i use them to match the mid a little better. in my FJ, everything is loud, so the tweeter isnt super harsh or anything, it just blends better with the mid if that makes any sense.
Fellas - where do you put your crossovers?! i was thinking about putting it inside of the door..but then start thinking about the water and possible moisture - any thoughts on that?

why in a door? because its closer to the speaker and tweeter, i plan on doing a bracket and fit both of those on the same bracket 6.5 speaker and a tweeter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts