Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my FJ approached 30,000 miles I decided to change the spark plugs. After reading the very informative thread regarding different types of spark plugs http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/61986-spark-plugs.html I decided to go with the Diamond Fire E3-56 spark plugs. After a visit to my not so local Pep Boys I began my installation today.

I removed the right bank of spark plugs (passenger side) and found that the Denso K20HR-U11 spark plugs had been installed in all three right bank cylinders. I then moved to the left bank (drivers side) and removed the spark plugs. Much to my suprise I found that all three cylinders had NGK R LFR6C11 spark plugs had been installed. :worried:

I purchased my FJ with 6 miles on it and it has never been in the repair shop! Has anyone else made this discovery? :simmadown: Any ideas on why I had two different brands of spark plugs installed? :thinkerg:

I haven't driven the FJ since I changed over to the E3's. I'll post driving results later.

Cheers,

dale

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
That's how they all come from the Factory, there was a thread about 8 months ago that went in to a lot of detail about the plugs and what types to use and the differences in them....I'm not sure where the thread is at, you may have to search for it....But it has been covered. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yep I noticed the same thing when I changed my plugs at around 12,000 km. I'm pretty sure all FJ's come that way

Please let us know how the Diamond Fire work out for you, eg any felt difference in power, fuel economy, etc

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Someone posted just this week. The original 3X3 thread was back in 06, best I can tell, and then another in 07. One post said the heads were made in different factories?? Doesn't really make sense, but I suppose it's possible. Some go back with Dense and others NGK. Let us know how the E3's do.. Ron

As my FJ approached 30,000 miles I decided to change the spark plugs. After reading the very informative thread regarding different types of spark plugs http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/61986-spark-plugs.html I decided to go with the Diamond Fire E3-56 spark plugs. After a visit to my not so local Pep Boys I began my installation today.

I removed the right bank of spark plugs (passenger side) and found that the Denso K20HR-U11 spark plugs had been installed in all three right bank cylinders. I then moved to the left bank (drivers side) and removed the spark plugs. Much to my suprise I found that all three cylinders had NGK R LFR6C11 spark plugs had been installed. :worried:

I purchased my FJ with 6 miles on it and it has never been in the repair shop! Has anyone else made this discovery? :simmadown: Any ideas on why I had two different brands of spark plugs installed? :thinkerg:

I haven't driven the FJ since I changed over to the E3's. I'll post driving results later.

Cheers,

dale

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,804 Posts
Dale,
I read about this awhile back and as all have said. It seems to be normal. 30,000 miles in one year:mecry: I'm still just under 15,000 in 18 months:rocker:. See you in Moab :clap:

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dale,
I read about this awhile back and as all have said. It seems to be normal. 30,000 miles in one year:mecry: I'm still just under 15,000 in 18 months:rocker:. See you in Moab :clap:
Wow, I did a search, but didn't find the other thread (s)... Sorry if I duplicated...

Bernd,

The good thing is that 22,000 plus of those miles was in off-road expedition travel. A few "to and from" miles included of course. Actual "mall crawling" and other driving is not too bad.

I don't mind the miles when it's travel in adventure mode!

cheers,

dale

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone posted just this week. The original 3X3 thread was back in 06, best I can tell, and then another in 07. One post said the heads were made in different factories?? Doesn't really make sense, but I suppose it's possible. Some go back with Dense and others NGK. Let us know how the E3's do.. Ron
Hmmm, I agree on the "doesn't make much sense!

What I saw when I pulled the plugs was the carbonization on each type was entirely different. One was burning much hotter than the other! And, before the flames start... I can make the evaluation because I had an A&P aircraft mechanics license and I taught Master Mechanic classes in wheel and track vehicles for the Army for several years. Yes, it was quite a while back... :lol:

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That's interesting information. There must be a reason for the different plugs; the Japanese have a reason for everything.. Ron

Hmmm, I agree on the "doesn't make much sense!

What I saw when I pulled the plugs was the carbonization on each type was entirely different. One was burning much hotter than the other! And, before the flames start... I can make the evaluation because I had an A&P aircraft mechanics license and I taught Master Mechanic classes in wheel and track vehicles for the Army for several years. Yes, it was quite a while back... :lol:

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
The reason for this, as explained to me by the Toyota parts guy, is that due to some import agreements, there has to be a certain percentage of parts from each of several manufacturers in the vehicle. He said there wasn't any technical explanation for the difference. As a matter of fact, Stevenson Toyota doesn't even carry both types anymore because it's not necessary.

Buy them all from Toyota, they're super cheap, gapped correctly and the correct electrode. My advice and opinion only.

I can't remember which type I did get from them, and can't be sure until the weekend when I'm back home. At any rate, if you go to your Toy dealer, just buy all of one kind (they may only have all of one kind) and you'll be all set.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason for this, as explained to me by the Toyota parts guy, is that due to some import agreements, there has to be a certain percentage of parts from each of several manufacturers in the vehicle. He said there wasn't any technical explanation for the difference. As a matter of fact, Stevenson Toyota doesn't even carry both types anymore because it's not necessary.

Buy them all from Toyota, they're super cheap, gapped correctly and the correct electrode. My advice and opinion only.

I can't remember which type I did get from them, and can't be sure until the weekend when I'm back home. At any rate, if you go to your Toy dealer, just buy all of one kind (they may only have all of one kind) and you'll be all set.
Thanks for the info! I already bought and installed the E3-56's. They have a great reputation. I just hope they do half as much for me as they claim they do... :jester:

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Thanks for the info! I already bought and installed the E3-56's. They have a great reputation. I just hope they do half as much for me as they claim they do... :jester:

cheers,

dale
No worries. Keep us posted with your mileage and performance impressions!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
eager to see a long run of the plugs installed.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I changed my plugs for the 1st time all 6 were the same Densos. Maybe for the heck of it someone could start a poll about if you have 2 different types of plugs or if all 6 are the same.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
What I saw when I pulled the plugs was the carbonization on each type was entirely different. One was burning much hotter than the other!
Dale

Since my FJ only had around 12,000 km on it when I changed the plugs, they were pretty clean anyway. Perhaps the passenger side Denso's were a tad cleaner. One thing I noticed was that the passenger side Denso's were much LOOSER than the driver side NGK

So I'm glad I changed them when I did

Did you notice any difference in starting? Before I changed my plugs, my FJ consistently needed 5-6 cranks before firing, hot or cold. After I changed the plugs, a consistent 2-3 cranks

jay

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Hey Jay.. I had forgotten about the five crank discussion, but it does. What plugs did you go back with, I forget? Ron

Dale

Since my FJ only had around 12,000 km on it when I changed the plugs, they were pretty clean anyway. Perhaps the passenger side Denso's were a tad cleaner. One thing I noticed was that the passenger side Denso's were much LOOSER than the driver side NGK

So I'm glad I changed them when I did

Did you notice any difference in starting? Before I changed my plugs, my FJ consistently needed 5-6 cranks before firing, hot or cold. After I changed the plugs, a consistent 2-3 cranks

jay

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Hey Jay.. I had forgotten about the five crank discussion, but it does. What plugs did you go back with, I forget? Ron
Ron

NAPA had a sale here on NGK so I went with the correct factory NGK. When I change them this fall, I'll try the Denso's from the dealership, see if that makes any difference

jay

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just called Pep Boys and Kragen and they both don't have E3.68 in my area. Based on the vehicle search on their systems, it still says E3.56 is the correct part. I am confused.:confused:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts