Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to putting a rolling code Homelink transmitter in my SwissArmySUV overhead console and I really like how it turned out. None of it was hard, only a 12v and ground to wire up. I went with 20% tint on the front doors and 5% on all the rear windows. Installation wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It's not a professional job but there are no wrinkles or bubbles and I'm happy with the results. If anyone wants advice on how to do the overhead console mod just let me know. It takes a steady hand and patience to get the holes trimmed right but other than that it's easy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice job. I did something similar except I wired separate switches to the HomeLink circuit board and mounted the switches to the rear of the console. (I bought the console with the closed rear face)

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job. I did something similar except I wired separate switches to the HomeLink circuit board and mounted the switches to the rear of the console. (I bought the console with the closed rear face)
The face is closed on mine too. I'd like to see what you did with separate switches? That was the route I wanted to go but I couldn't find the momentary switches I was looking for so I just used the oval buttons from the Homelink.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was eBay item #270211440061. This Homelink is the rolling code and also has the memo function which I felt useless, so I just cut the buttons off and put the homelink in there. It was more expensive than I recalled, lol, imagine that, but still cheaper than the individual units that you see going for about $50 on eBay. The module is really seated in the visor and the easiest thing to do is cut all the way through around the perimeter of the unit and take it all the way out, then cut a diagonal at each corner and work the plastic off that way. I used the snap on cover as a template for the holes and a Dremel to cut them out. The holes have to be maybe .5mm bigger on each side so the buttons can move freely.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The face is closed on mine too. I'd like to see what you did with separate switches? That was the route I wanted to go but I couldn't find the momentary switches I was looking for so I just used the oval buttons from the Homelink.

I used the Homelink module from a 02 Cadillac (off of E-bay) with rolling codes. The existing buttons are on a separate circuit board from the main circuit board which provided more flexibilty with the install. I soldered extra wires to the circuit board to run separate switches and a LED which are mounted on the back of the fog light console. The switches are round momentary rocker switches (normally open) which are available online. Biggest issue for me was wiring to the circuit board becasue of the small space. After I soldered the wires I covered the front and back of the circuit board with hot glue to insulate the wires as well as to give more integrety to the solder connections. The hot glue made all the difference.

Following are a couple of pics. Pink wires are the hot lead to each of the add on rocker switches. Wires at the bottom connect to the other terminal of each rocker switch (one wire per switch). Wires at the top are for the LED.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts