Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i was saying in another post that one of my next mods was to vinyl wrap my roof and that I got a quote for $450. Well some other folks were sayin they had theres line-x'ed/rhino lined. Well I called yesterday and the quote was around $250 from Line-X!!!! SOLD!!!!

Does anyone have any GOOD pictures of the lined roof? More specifically...where the line-x meets the paint around the "C" pillar area?

Next! Im thinking of adding a CB. I know absolutely nothing about CB's. So any help of which one would be a good one to get and does anyone have any pics of theirs mounted up??

Thanks Everyone!! Happy Trails

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Couple of people have it done, the latest I think is member "DOWORK" do a seach and check his out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks!! ill check it out

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I love my roof linexd but understand the look is not for everyone and it is permanent. I feel like your linex dealer doesnt understand how much work it will take to do the roof and mis quoted you. I got mine done for $550 and I know the guy will never do a job like that again. Took the better part of 6 hours and I was in the booth helping out the whole time. If you are serious about doing it, shoot me a pm and I can give you some hints about how to lay the lines for painting.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Thumbs down on the Line-X roof.

I agree the color fade over time is well documented in truck beds and that its non removable like a wrap is why I think the wrap or Paint is a better choice for trade in value, future maintenance, and looks over the long haul.
I think it looks cool don't get me wrong and if your keeping the FJ you could just have it resprayed I guess when it fades, Not sure?

I always buy CB equipment at big truck stops because the truckers seem to be very helpful and know their stuff. Its normally at a good price because truckers know/talk a lot about stuff while on the road because they have nothing better to do and the truck stops know it.:cheers:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW!!! thanks guys for all the input! I think now after hearing that I may stick with the wrap. I think after reading this and weighing the benefits of wrap to line-x...wrap wins. because If I ever trade in my FJ (on another FJ of course) I can just remove the wrap pretty easily.

Again...Thanks for the help and I will be sure to post the pics when its done!:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
The Linex has another layer of UV protection sprayed over and is guaranteed not to fade, chip, etc...
He is correct I did some reading on this and without adding the UV treatment to the batch you will get fading but with it the truck bed guys have shown pics after two years in texas heat and they still look new. Learn something new everyday my buddies bed looks horrible I'll let him know this too.

Thanks.:cheers:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Linex has another layer of UV protection sprayed over and is guaranteed not to fade, chip, etc...
LOL!!! Dont try and change my mind again!!! Again...Im always looking for the least inexpensive way to accomplish my mods...but I dont want to do anything I will regret. Im going to keep doing my homework!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've had a CB sitting around for a while and have been meaning to install it, but like you I am still learning about them. If you want, I could see about getting some of the other OKC members to show up early to the next meet-and-greet to help us figure things out and maybe get them installed and tuned. It would help to have someone who has set one up before.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
He is correct I did some reading on this and without adding the UV treatment to the batch you will get fading but with it the truck bed guys have shown pics after two years in texas heat and they still look new. Learn something new everyday my buddies bed looks horrible I'll let him know this too.

Thanks.:cheers:
My entire FJ was linex'd 3yrs ago and is always parked outside.
No fading yet....looks just like the day I got it back from linex.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Like DOWORK said, talk to the guy, and if he will still line-x for $250 I would jump all over it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heres mine, I love it...The linex dealer charged me about $450 because it was alot more work than he thought, like DoWork said. I also linexed my tail light guards and rock sliders, which I know is not the best idea if im doing real trailing but they can be touched up.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres mine, I love it...The linex dealer charged me about $450 because it was alot more work than he thought, like DoWork said. I also linexed my tail light guards and rock sliders, which I know is not the best idea if im doing real trailing but they can be touched up.
That looks killer!!!! Im Still torn...I think if 450-500 is the going rate...i may just vinyl wrap it because that can always be easily removed...but I love the rough look of the linex...thank for the pics!!!

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
i would go with the line-x i had my pick up bed rhino lined and that stuff was tuff. expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had a CB sitting around for a while and have been meaning to install it, but like you I am still learning about them. If you want, I could see about getting some of the other OKC members to show up early to the next meet-and-greet to help us figure things out and maybe get them installed and tuned. It would help to have someone who has set one up before.
I have became kind of a cb geek, and I have learned that a good antenna will make a "ok" radio sound good. Thats why I run a ugly 102" whip on my
FJ and Tahoe. They are a quarter wave lenth and It seems that they work better than any other, except for they pick up a little more rf noise. I have a galaxy 979 in the center cubby hole with a linear amp under the seat. My tahoe has a dual final General Lee with a 500 watt amp in the center console. Keep in mind that the fcc max limit is 4 watts, but a tech can peak and tune most radios to put out 20 or so.

And I have a swr meter in my truck, just let me know if you want to use it at the meet and greet sat ,Okies

1 - 20 of 29 Posts