Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there one? Am I just missing it? I'd like a breakdown of all the UCA options with pro's and con's and wasn't sure if someone has put one together before I start researching.

Edit:
Okay, I did a little research and came up with the following options for UCAs. Let me know what other options there are.

Camburg ~$389 OEM ball joint (reuses your old ball joint)
Tubular construction, Non-Adjustable

Light Racing ~$419 new OEM style ball joint
Tubular/cast construction, Adjustable

Desert Products ~$599 uniball (unknown size)
Boxed Chromoly, Non-Adjustable

All-Pro ~$649 1.25" uniball

Man-a-Fre ~$650 uniball (unknown size)

Total Chaos ~$650 1" uniball

Camburg ~$659 1.25" uniball

Icon ~$699 1" uniball

Specialty Products ~$880 new OEM style ball joint
Tubular construction, Adjustable- appears to be same as Light Racing

Total Chaos ~$900 1" uniball
Tubular construction, Adjustable

ICON ~$1195 1" uniball
CNC'd billet aluminum, Very Adjustable

OEM style ball joints offer lower maintenance and lower cost, while often being quieter.
The downsides are mainly less range of movement along with the fact that they move less freely (two different things)

Uniballs are a stronger option with more range of movement and less binding. They are more expensive typically and come in both a 1" diameter, and a 1.25" diameter with the latter being stronger.
The downsides are mainly expense and the requirement of more maintenance to keep them noise free. Some do offer dustcaps to keep dirt and grime out of the ball joint which would require less maintenance in general, but most of them look like you could fabricate your own dustcap, however crude it may be.

All pricing I'm showing is what I've found in a quick search of the internet. Many are not MSRP, and some prices are through forum vendors while others are not. I'll try to add links, part numbers and pictures if possible at some point.

Reactions: pjbrownva

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Subscribed...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Looks like you might have to do a bit of a search or even some research on this one. I too would like to knwo more about the different options available for UCA's.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I did some research. What other options are there aside from the ones in my edited original post?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Looks like you got all of the popular brands covered.

Now what is the difference and advantages of Uniball types and ball joint types

·
Registered
145 Posts
Since this might turn into a reference thread, I'll be the first to ask:

What is the difference between the stock ball joint and the uniball?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Definitely like to know the pros and cons as referenced above. I'm in the market, but have a skinny pocketbook this close to Christmas. Also, did everyone do their own, or have them done at a shop?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Sounds like you just volunteered yourself for the job :)
FWIW, pictures, links, and some detailed information about each would make this a very worthwhile thread ;)

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
G'day,
I think The Toy Outfitters do them too...
Baz
Baz, this is what the OP is referring to.

The rear of the FJ has what are commonly referred to as "links" though, toyota on a few occasion calls them control arms, they are not (IMO)

Stan(NCFJ, ToyOutfitters) only has rear upper and lower links (or "control arms")

Control Arms

Since this might turn into a reference thread, I'll be the first to ask:

What is the difference between the stock ball joint and the uniball?
Uni-balls have a few advantages over ball joints. A couple of them are:
Stronger (for equivalent size)
More range of motion
Can move more freely.

Some uni-balls can be prone to squeaking if you are not diligent about keeping a teflon style lubricant on them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice info.

Another queston. What is the diffeence or advantage of billet aluminum control arms over the tube type.

The tube type are the total Chaos and the billet ones like Camburg !

Also why is there such a wild difference in pricing on the different UCA options.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Nice info.

Another queston. What is the diffeence or advantage of billet aluminum control arms over the tube type.

The tube type are the total Chaos and the billet ones like Camburg !

Also why is there such a wild difference in pricing on the different UCA options.
There are folks who know a LOT more about UCA than i do but i will try to answer as best i can.

Billet aluminum used for UCA vs DOM tubing is just for bling factor IMO. It could be stronger than DOM tubing, but no one even bends the stock UCA, so a non-issue.
ICON is the only one making billet alum UCA as far as i know.
In addition to using a uniball, the ICONs also use johnny joints to attach to the frame (which are better than poly bushing)

ICON vs OEM Toyota

The basic main differences in prices are:
Ball joint vs uniball (uniball is more expensive)
1" uniball vs 1.25" uniball (bigger ball is more expensive)
Quality of components
Materials used

Just to touch on the poly bushing issue:
If you are doing a front suspension install, when you disconnect the spindle from the UCA, pull the UCA down and let go. It is going to spring back into position very quickly due to the bushing in the OEM UCA.
On the other hand, if you did the exact same thing with the ICONs, they move up and down much more freely and do not have any binding since there is no bushing, but rather a johnny joint (or at least that style joint).

·
Premium Member
11,055 Posts
Baz, this is what the OP is referring to.

The rear of the FJ has what are commonly referred to as "links" though, toyota on a few occasion calls them control arms, they are not (IMO)

Stan(NCFJ, ToyOutfitters) only has rear upper and lower links (or "control arms")

Control Arms

Uni-balls have a few advantages over ball joints. A couple of them are:
Stronger (for equivalent size)
More range of motion
Can move more freely.

Some uni-balls can be prone to squeaking if you are not diligent about keeping a teflon style lubricant on them.
G'day Layonnn,
Good to know.... i am learning so much here, thanks to guys like you...
The knowledge here is fantastic !!!
one day when i am older and wiser maybe i'll know some stuff too... haha
Thanks n Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is there one? Am I just missing it? I'd like a breakdown of all the UCA options with pro's and con's and wasn't sure if someone has put one together before I start researching.

Edit:
Okay, I did a little research and came up with the following options for UCAs. Let me know what other options there are.

Camburg ~$389 OEM ball joint (reuses your old ball joint)
Light Racing ~$419 new OEM style ball joint
Desert Products ~$599 uniball (unknown size)
All-Pro ~$649 1.25" uniball
Man-a-Fre ~$650 uniball (unknown size)
Camburg ~$659 1.25" uniball
Icon ~$699 1" uniball
Specialty Products ~$880 new OEM style ball joint
Total Chaos ~$950 1" uniball, adjustable
ICON ~$1195 1" uniball, adjustable

Any others?

All-Pro Offroad MSRP $649 1.25" uniball, non adjustable tubular
Camburg Engineering MSRP $389 OEM ball joint (reuses your old ball joint) non adjustable tubular
Camburg Engineering MSRP $659 1.25" uniball non adjustable, tubular
Desert Products MSRP $599 uniball (unknown size)
Icon Vehicle Dynamics MSRP $699 1" uniball, non adjustable, tubular
Icon Vehicle Dynamics MSRP $1195 1" uniball, adjustable, CNC'ed billet
Light Racing MSRP $419 new OEM style ball joint, adjustable, tubular/cast
Man-a-Fre MSRP $650 uniball (unknown size), non-adjustable, tubular
Specialty Products ~$880 new OEM style ball joint ??? Same as LR???
Total Chaos Fabrications MSRP $650 1" uniball, non adjustable, tubular

**I think the following is true. I'm too tired to verify. Feel free to correct.**
Most control arms exclusive to the FJ Cruiser, some are compatible with the previous generation 4Runner I believe. All control arms have greasable urethane bushings, except Light Racing, which are non greasable rubber. All allow extended travel coilovers to be used in the front. Adjustablility refers to camber. Control arms are compatible with 3" and 6" lifts, but not Long Travel kits.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for the info so far, I've added pictures and some more info to the OP and will continue to do so. I also added a second Total Chaos since they apparently make both adjustable and non-adjustable UCAs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
WOW....wonderful and well put together info, will be a great help to all.

A couple of questions.

1. What is the difference between the Camburg $ 389 UCA that reuses the OEM Joint and the stock UCA ?

2. Why does the size of the unibal matter ?

3. The said "adjustment" where does it happen and what can be adjusted ?

4. What is the actual purpose of going for an aftermarket UCA.

I am running a ICON Stage 1 with the stock UCA's. What will improove if I was to get a set of aftermarket UCA's ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
IMO, the only reason for selling a street used/driven product with uniballs or rod ends is for parts sales in the future. This is somewhat understandable from a business point of view... one would like to be around in the future, so a designed product life is good for future sales that can be banked on. Myself, I like things to last a long time. Very few conditions exist (but they do) where unsealed joints last an appreciable amount of miles. Even then a quality sealed, greased, and serviceable joint would outlast even the best units many times over. Off soap box.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
The specialty products and Light Racing are one in the same. I'm not sure where the price difference came from. When you deal with the company... you call specialty products. Great customer service btw.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Great topic and questions!

Don't know if I agree with the johnny joints being "better" than the poly bushing as both will move freely unlike the stock rubber bushing. That aside the non poly applications could possibly reduces mess due lube material and process of application, IDK.

IMO just about all of the chromoly sets will do what you want them to do. Have never heard of anyone having issues with build quality or trail breakage although I do not have data on the tubing from part to part.

WOW....wonderful and well put together info, will be a great help to all.

A couple of questions.

1. What is the difference between the Camburg $ 389 UCA that reuses the OEM Joint and the stock UCA ?
IDK maybe someone else can chime in here.

2. Why does the size of the unibal matter ?
In theory a larger ball should be stronger but I have been told that the uniball quality and availability are better for the 1" vs the 1.25.

3. The said "adjustment" where does it happen and what can be adjusted ?
I believe this varies per arm, some adjust caster at the ball joint while others (ICON) have camber adjustments via heim joints?

4. What is the actual purpose of going for an aftermarket UCA. Form and function here. You will notice increased medium to high speed stability directly related to lost caster when the FJ was lifted plus there is the bling factor. Also there is generally more room to clear larger tires with the aftermarket parts.

I am running a ICON Stage 1 with the stock UCA's. What will improove if I was to get a set of aftermarket UCA's ?
Your truck won't wander as much and steering will feel tighter at freeway speed.
HTH

1 - 20 of 78 Posts