Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just had some Total Chaos UCA's installed to go along with King coilovers. Have not had it aligned, although she seems to track just as straight as before. However, every little groove or imperfection in the road seems to pull on the wheel; there's a lot more feedback essentially. Is this normal? It's def. a new thing since the UCA's went in. Kings alone did not feel like this.
Do I just need to adjust to the feel of increased movement and articulation or do I need an alignment? :rocker::cheers:

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
So just had some Total Chaos UCA's installed to go along with King coilovers. Have not had it aligned, although she seems to track just as straight as before. However, every little groove or imperfection in the road seems to pull on the wheel; there's a lot more feedback essentially. Is this normal? It's def. a new thing since the UCA's went in. Kings alone did not feel like this.
Do I just need to adjust to the feel of increased movement and articulation or do I need an alignment? :rocker::cheers:

Recommend an alignment.
A few months ago I put Kings and Total Chaos UCAs on my FJ. The steering wheel was straight and the truck drove straight. I drove it for about a week before I could get in for the alignment. I honestly didn't think the front end was that off because she drove fairly well.
I realized how out of whack the front end really was when I finally made it in to have the four wheel alignment done. It was waaaayyy out of shape.
She drives a lot better now. The Kings will definitely give you more road feel. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Your alignment sounds off and I would add some forward caster to give the tires that on center feeling again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moved it for you
Thanks for moving it. Not sure how I blanked on the correct forum. Anyway, here's a pic:

Not sure how much of what I'm feeling is new hardware related, and how much is just desperately needing an alignment!
All that said, I'm going to take her in for an alignment ASAP.
:cheers:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I drove around for about 3 or 4 days once I got the COs dialed into the height I wanted. Once I took it to the dealer to get the alignment with the TC UCAs, the tech said it was so easy to set up, even with a 3.6 caster on both side. Drives great and tracks totaly straight.

Before, caster was set around 2.3 since I didn't have TC UCAs and it did seem "wandery" compared to how it's set up now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alignment has resolved all the odd handling issues. No more tires howling when turning into my driveway, no more odd steering deflections when hitting bumps.

UCA's seem to have increased front end feel slightly; just a wee bit sharper. Too bad all the shiny new parts are making the rusty black pot-metal frame look even worse!

·
Premium Member
16,453 Posts
Dequiallo, those "shiny new parts" look great! :wave:

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
The Kings and TC UCAs look great! Nice job on the install. :bigthumb:
Glad she's driving smooth and straight for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts