Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled the trigger and purchased a new set of icon extended travel coilovers and Also the piggybacks for the rear from LT @ metal tech earlier this week. Spoke with both mark and lt on the phone, by far the best customer support I've ever encountered throughout my numbers of vehicles, thanks!

I have a 6" RC lift and run 325/60 terra grapplers.
I'm also ordering ucas with this later this week, the coilovers are waiting to be arrive but I will not install until also purchasing ucas.
The ucas im debating over are the light racing ucas and the total chaos ucas, I need to order these by the end of the week and wanted somenonsight as to what people run and why they like them?
I know TC is completely rebuildable which is awesome but I also hear the uniball can be quite squeaky and noisy after a while, while the closed ball joint style LR is not

Any input would be appreciated , thanks!

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
Re: Ucas -/ recommendation with icon

i ran the tc before i finished with the icons...id take them over the light racing...

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Re: Ucas -/ recommendation with icon

Depends on what your needs are and how you use the rig. Not equivalent technologies and the price reflects that.
I would agree with this. The concerns you have are the same ones I had when I was in the market. I know the uni-ball performs better, but it is an un-sealed joint. They will make noise, and require maint. My FJ gets used off road a fair amount, but it's also my daily driver. That said I hate squeaks and rattles. I know it's part of the game you have to pay to play but I wanted to minimize it. I ended up going with Camburg UCAs that use the factory ball joint. The arms correct the geometry for the lift. Being they use a stock ball joint, replacements will be around for a long time as well. I am more than pleased with my choice. Good luck in the search. :cheers:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fj is a daily driver as well and occasional trail riding but mostly DD; I went with the icon to get rid of my super stiff stock/ rc rear suspension setup.
I'm not really concerned in the price difference as it's only 200$ and I know that it's worth every penny to pay now rather than pay later and also have a headache along with it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also looked into those camburg ucas with the factory ball joint as well
Someone online is selling a used set of camburgs as well I am contemplating

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I just installed Camburgs ball joints on Monday

picture is not very clear but here it goes

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've had my ICON UCA's for 35k miles now with zero squeaks and almost no maintenance. Any maintenance I did do was not reactionary (meaning, I didn't hear squeaks).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've had two sets of uniball UCA's, both work/worked great and required a few minutes every few weeks for some lube and a wipe down. The extra droop was great!
Lube on the uniball and the zerk fittings? That grease on the uniball, u just apply it to the top of the open ball?
Im leaning more towards TC (over LR) the more I think about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts