Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Anyone know if there's a center cap that works with the regular 2013' alloy wheels?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm just going to buy an extra oem center cap, and mod it. Seems to be the best fitting/looking. A little trim with the dremel is easy.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If it's as easy as cutting a hole in an OEM center cap then I'm all for it, but somehow I doubt an OEM cap will fit with a camera period. Otherwise Toyota probably would have just put one on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like a great mod! Really want to try this myself as I have the same wheels as the op. I'll post pics when I get around to the install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if the summit racing cap will work with the black TRD wheels (older version) pictured here? I just want to make sure I order the right size (4" or 4.25" or whatever it needs to be) before attempting this mod.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Another approach, pretty easy once you have the right parts to work with: A quart paint container from Home Depot, a recycled toyota emblem from an old wheel, double sided emblem tape, Krylon black fusion paint, some creative cutting and wa la!

The small ridge at the base of the cover catches the back of the wheel and holds it in place. I did have to replace the bolt in the end of the camera housing with a button headed bolt to slightly reduce the overall length so the new cover would be long enough.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Cheap and easy, my favorite two factors in any mod! Thanks for the ideas here guys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Couldn't deal with the "shaft" anymore, hacked it off and modded a center cap to hold the camera.
Could you do a more detailed write up on your mod? You got the best one for those OEM rims. Great work, just what I'm looking for. Also where did you get the cap and price? Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts

I just modded a center cap and tire mount, took an afternoon but I really like the end product. I have a 12" blind spot from ground to bumper due to the spare being in the bottom of the frame on camera. This works out well tho, once I can't see the leading edge of whatever I'm backing to I know I have less than a foot of play.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another approach, pretty easy once you have the right parts to work with: A quart paint container from Home Depot, a recycled toyota emblem from an old wheel, double sided emblem tape, Krylon black fusion paint, some creative cutting and wa la!

The small ridge at the base of the cover catches the back of the wheel and holds it in place. I did have to replace the bolt in the end of the camera housing with a button headed bolt to slightly reduce the overall length so the new cover would be long enough.

I did this but with a silver paint on the paint bucket and a black painted Toyota emblem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 2013 FJ Cruiser TRD edition. I hated how the rear spare tire cover looked. So when I powder coated my wheels matte black, I decided to do the spare also. After removing the tire cover, I wondered what to do with the ugly rear camera mount. I decided to use the same TRD wheel hub that came with FJ but it did not fit over the camera mount and I wasn't sure how to mount it. My solution was to cut the wheel hub (I did it with a hack saw) right below the TRD emblem (see photo 1, 2). The original tire cover covered most of the cameras view and, when cut the camera exposed a more expanded view (see photo 3). I mounted the TRD hub with heavy duty Velcro squares (1 inch diameter) at four positions inside hub. Three at each indentation(where lugs would go, see picture 2) and two Velcro squares at front of TRD hub (approximately where TRD emblem is, see picture 2). I have driven it everywhere and the hub has not moved, Love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a 2013 FJ Cruiser TRD edition. I hated how the rear spare tire cover looked. So when I powder coated my wheels matte black, I decided to do the spare also. After removing the tire cover, I wondered what to do with the ugly rear camera mount. I decided to use the same TRD wheel hub that came with FJ but it did not fit over the camera mount and I wasn't sure how to mount it. My solution was to cut the wheel hub (I did it with a hack saw) right below the TRD emblem (see photo 1, 2). The original tire cover covered most of the cameras view and, when cut the camera exposed a more expanded view (see photo 3). I mounted the TRD hub with heavy duty Velcro squares (1 inch diameter) at four positions inside hub. Three at each indentation(where lugs would go, see picture 2) and two Velcro squares at front of TRD hub (approximately where TRD emblem is, see picture 2). I have driven it everywhere and the hub has not moved, Love it!

Attachments

81 - 100 of 100 Posts