Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding down a trail the other night with my girlfriend when we came to a river crossing. It was already night time, so I couldn't judge the depth nor did I know the right line to cross the river, but after riding nearly two hours I wasn't letting this water crossing stop me!

I locked'er down in 4low with ATRAC and the rear locker engaged and proceeded down into the water. I could see the other side, maybe 120ft across so I advanced a little further... This is where it gets interesting.:lol:

The first 20ft or so was about 22" deep, but once I'm about 30ft out...the headlights disappear underwater! At this point I'm about to either shat and/or piss or get my ass across this river, so I opt for getting to the other side. I threw it up into 3rd gear and let'er eat! At one point the water was so deep it came over the hood and was 2-3" up the windshield!!:rocker: Now is a good time to mention that my FJ has a stock intake and no snorkel so I think I should consider myself lucky...

The FJ was only submerged for a second or two but still...it was driving through about 4ft of water and never missed a lick! Oh yeah, and after getting to the other side the floor was still dry!:clap:

That experience was such an adrenaline rush, I think I'm going to buy a snorkel and do the scuba mod so I can find more rivers to cross!

Anyone else get themselves into situations like this?

Nick
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Did a couple of water crossings where the water was around 3-4' deep. I remember one time where it got really muddy and I thought 'now I've done it' but Pumbaa pulled right on though.

Scuba Mod, Snorkel, some mud boots, a winch, spare air filter, spark plugs and WD40 will all come in handy when you get stuck but in the end it probably be the idlers failing first.

I know water crossings and mud are a hell of a lot of fun (just look at my avatar) but just be careful out there. I'd recommend a walking stick, I got one of those old wooden seamstress type measuring sticks thats exactly 3' tall, if the water is higher than it, I ain't crossing...

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Nice story, I know my heart was beating a bit faster just reading it!

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
They call this, a FJ owners form of, Russian Roulette. You wouldn't be the first one to total your truck, going through deep water. These trucks aren't meant to go deep, even with a snorkel and scuba mod.
Just throwing it out there...
thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Did something similar ages ago in my VW Baja Bug. It was the end of the day and we were headed out. First crossing on the way in wasn't a problem. Going out, the river had gone up. A lot. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the darn thing started floating down the river in the mountains above Ojai, CA. Got about 50 yards down stream, and the current had slowly pushed me to the other side where I was finally able to hit ground again with the rear tires. I was first, my buddies in the dune buggies and sand rails went next. I ended up towing them out....

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
great story, I think I have only got up about half a foot from my windows but it is still fun to do. Now I have the snorkel and scuba kit and would love to do some deeper stuff but it is a little scary when you consider the all the bad things that could happen. but in light of the fact that a lot of us put ourselves in situations where we could roll our FJ and destroy it, I guess this is no more dangerous.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the darn thing started floating down the river in the mountains above Ojai, CA. Got about 50 yards down stream, and the current had slowly pushed me to the other side where I was finally able to hit ground again with the rear tires...
Wow, now that would be a sight to see!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I've done a lot of deep water crossings in the various Jeeps that I've owned. Some of those crossings in water part way up the windshield. Never broke anything but it sure resulted in a lot of maintenance to the fluid filled parts underneath.

I hesitate to run my FJ in water deeper than 2 feet and that's pretty rare just to avoid the extra maintenance. I have no doubt that it will handle it, I'm just getting too lazy for all the extra work.

My favorite water crossing was a logging road in NW Florida that actually used about a mile of a creek as part of the road. It had a pretty solid bottom, the water was clear, and most of it was a couple of feet deep. There were a few spots that were about 4 feet deep. I loved making that run at night with a passenger that had never been there before. I would act like I wasn't quite sure where I was and not too sure that I knew how to get back. You should have heard the squeals and screams when the headlights went underwater!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trying to go across something potentially hazardous with your girlfriend in the car...
Did that once for the first and last time.:rofl:
It was rough times in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I know there are a lot of mods to protect the drivetrain, but what about the electronics?

if the electronics of your car get shorted, that can also total your FJ.

·
Texican
8,570 Posts
12 hours before Hurricane Ike hit Galveston Island I took a drive down "The Strand". Water was already in the buildings and at one point was splashing up on the hood. I kept my forward momentum and never stopped in the water. I got pretty scared a time or two when I realized that as I was driving pass some abandoned cars they were bobbing in the water. :scared:

Here is a short video of a portion of that deep saltwater:

·
Registered
43 Posts
cool story. our first trip to moab we did kane creek and hit a deep spot and notice the fj got really light all the sudden, so I locked n the rear and back out. got home and change all my fluids.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I know there are a lot of mods to protect the drivetrain, but what about the electronics?

if the electronics of your car get shorted, that can also total your FJ.
The FJ electronics is not your primary concern when doing a water crossing. I know, I know, sounds odd but the electrical system is extremely well protected. The lowest part (that I know of) of the electrical system that would be exposed first is the alternator however it can handle water quite well for a short period of time. The stator of the FJ's alternator actually has a water protectant layer on the outside (which brings up a good point, when replacing your alternator, make sure the new one has this). The next thing would be your fuse box under the hood but again it is very well protected.

As far as I know, speaking from others experiences, your ECM behind the glove box would actually be the first thing affected by water. Sounds stupid I know but the FJ is not water tight. If you find yourself in 3' of water and the truck stalls/gets stuck, you will have water rushing in. If you got a 3" lift and sitting on some 33's, I'd say that 3' of water is about the right hight of an ECM...

But really, on a water crossing, the main thing to worry about is water in your tranny, transfer, or diffs. After that it be water in the air intake...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Guys Just to quote a little old saying!

'When you play you'll pay'!

·
Registered
955 Posts
The FJ electronics is not your primary concern when doing a water crossing. I know, I know, sounds odd but the electrical system is extremely well protected. The lowest part (that I know of) of the electrical system that would be exposed first is the alternator however it can handle water quite well for a short period of time. The stator of the FJ's alternator actually has a water protectant layer on the outside (which brings up a good point, when replacing your alternator, make sure the new one has this). The next thing would be your fuse box under the hood but again it is very well protected.

As far as I know, speaking from others experiences, your ECM behind the glove box would actually be the first thing affected by water. Sounds stupid I know but the FJ is not water tight. If you find yourself in 3' of water and the truck stalls/gets stuck, you will have water rushing in. If you got a 3" lift and sitting on some 33's, I'd say that 3' of water is about the right hight of an ECM...

But really, on a water crossing, the main thing to worry about is water in your tranny, transfer, or diffs. After that it be water in the air intake...

good to know! thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts