Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You're talking as if an FJ would break down in the city. ........:rofl:
Yeah...I can see your point of view. I am though, new to this truck and seem to find myself looking for ANY trail/or fun. Plus I like helping others. My wife gave me poo for getting this stuff but in the last two months I have used more of it than you think helping others.

Where I live you have to listen to people and make it happen. No standard off road fun. For example I drove to South Point Ohio for Xmas and family. I live 3 hours north in the City of Columbus Ohio. Last night some family members discussed 4 - wheeling their 4 - wheelers in an area I knew of. On my way home I hit that trail. I did not go all the way in the trail due to time and being by myself but I could not resist.

I love my FJ and what it encourages me to do. I just want to be ready for the basics.

Merry Xmas
Scott

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I've enjoyed this thread very much and it has made me think about several items I need to add to my emergency box. My foremost problem as I'm sure it is for others, is how to best store these items without having to constantly move them around and make a mess.

·
Registered
599 Posts
First aid kit
Fire extinguishers (front and rear)
Co2 Tank (compressors break and overheat at times)
Metric Sockets (10, 12, 14, 17, 35mm)
ratchet with 3", 6" and 12" extensions
Set of metric gear wrenches
Cordless or air ratchet or impact wrench
Rubber mallet
Ball peen hammer
Large Pry bar
Torque wrench
Common wire connectors and crimper
Electrical tape
Rubber backed mat to lay on.
Lots of different sized screw drivers (flathead and philips).
Pouch or allen wrenches
Head lamp
Hacksaw and extra blades
Gasket maker
Lock tight
PB Blaster
Brake Cleaner
Slider adapter for High-Lift
Tree Saver
Snatch Block
D-Links
Wheel chocks

Yes I carry a lot of stuff, but I hate not being prepared. I know you wanted to keep this on tool box items, but it is very important to be able to repair a CV on the trail. Expect them to fail, it is the weakest link in the drive train.

CV Axle assembly
Left and right diff seals
Couple extra c-clips for the CV

And for goodness sake, take those sway bars off!
I love this list! I have a few questions though... are the 10, 12, 14, 17 and 35mm sockets the only ones we need for the FJ? What is a PB Blaster?

I never thought I would need alot of this stuff, even in the city. But then next thing you know, slightly out of town or on the moon... Whamo! You, or someone else needs it.

Go, Be prepared... Be reasonable though... that's my motto!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I love this list! I have a few questions though... are the 10, 12, 14, 17 and 35mm sockets the only ones we need for the FJ? What is a PB Blaster?

I never thought I would need alot of this stuff, even in the city. But then next thing you know, slightly out of town or on the moon... Whamo! You, or someone else needs it.

Go, Be prepared... Be reasonable though... that's my motto!
Those are the general sizes you will need, I carry a ful set of SAE and Metric 1/4 to 3/4 drive sockets. A lot of my mods have SAE bolt heads and you never know what size you will need helping out somebody else. The 35mm is for the hub to remove the CV axle, I have two, in case I loose/break one.

Help break stuff loose, very important for trail repairs.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Recent ice and snow experiences by myself and a few other members of this forum combined with advice from experienced members prompts me to add another item to this list of items for an emergency tool box - tire chains. They don't take up too much space, aren't too expensive, and to quote 5380FJ, "When you need chains, you need chains...". He also shared this link:

4x4 Snow Chains article by Bill Burke - great article!

There have been some (potentially fatal) close calls reported on this forum on high mountain trails where snow, packed to ice remains in the shadows and makes for very treacherous wheeling. I had a close call last week trying to wheel up a steep seasonal road - was snow covered but their was ice underneath packed down by snowmobilers. I'm getting some tire chains and putting them in my emergency too box asap.

I found these from JC Whitney that appear to be similar to the more pricey ones in the article above that should also be great for preventing sideways slides -

WHITESTAR™ DIAMOND-PATTERN TIRE CHAINS - JCWhitney Auto Parts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Recent ice and snow experiences by myself and a few other members of this forum combined with advice from experienced members prompts me to add another item to this list of items for an emergency tool box - tire chains. They don't take up too much space, aren't too expensive, and to quote 5380FJ, "When you need chains, you need chains...". He also shared this link:

4x4 Snow Chains article by Bill Burke - great article!

There have been some (potentially fatal) close calls reported on this forum on high mountain trails where snow, packed to ice remains in the shadows and makes for very treacherous wheeling. I had a close call last week trying to wheel up a steep seasonal road - was snow covered but their was ice underneath packed down by snowmobilers. I'm getting some tire chains and putting them in my emergency too box asap.

I found these from JC Whitney that appear to be similar to the more pricey ones in the article above that should also be great for preventing sideways slides -

WHITESTAR™ DIAMOND-PATTERN TIRE CHAINS - JCWhitney Auto Parts
I would add a set of wheel chocks to this list as well. I read recently where a trucker had pulled over to place chains on his rig, and although it did not look like it, he was a slight incline. As he was underneath the rig chaining up, the rig slid back and crushed him. The chocks may have prevented the rig from sliding back as far as it did.

EDIT: Sorry - missed that someone had already mentioned wheel chocks, but still believe they are important to use if you stop to chain up.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
And for goodness sake, take those sway bars off!
I know this is off topic, but I have to ask.

Does your FJ have a lift and how does this affect the handling of your FJ on the road? My Wrangler has quick release connections for the sway bars for use off road, but it is really dangerous to drive the Wrangler on paved roads w/o them (especially with a 5" lift and 35" tires).

My FJ is stock, but, even so, I'd hesitate to remove the swaybar for fear of negatively affecting road handling. Does anyone make a similar quick release system for the FJ?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Let's not forget the most important item that every EMERGENCY TOOL BOX / KIT should have.......a measure of COMMON SENSE!

If we rely on IT before using anything else then we should 'weather' any emergency / situation that may come up!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Back on topic:

FWIW, I have almost everything mentioned so far in this thread and then some, but, since it's really impossible to carry it all, I choose what to carry depending on where I'm going and what I'm planning to do. The only things that I carry in my FJ at ALL times for "emergencies" (personal or otherwise) are:

Cell phone & DC charger cord
AAA card, credit cards & money (including a roll of quarters)
First Aid Kit
Fire Extinguisher (5# ABC)
Gerber multi-tool & Swiss army knife
S&W 1st Responder Tool (to break car windows/cut seatbelts)
Air Gauge & DC mini compressor (just to top up/not to fill up)
Camera (to photograph accident damage & other things)
Compact Binoculars
Handheld Compass
Flashlight
Notepad, post-its, pen & pencil
Quart of oil (just to top up), spout & grease rag
Longarm windshield squeeqee/sponge cleaner, windex, paper/cloth towels
Wine bottle opener, cigar lighter & cutter (for my quilty pleasures)
Snack food & some water
Glasses (sun, reading, regular prescription & backup contacts)
Medication (OTC & prescription)
Toilet paper (in case it's missing in the bathroom) & hairbrush
2 collapsible baskets (to put all the extra stuff in)
Cargo bar (to hold the baskets against the back of the rear seats)
Black blanket (to cover up stuff and to use as designed)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
First you need a good box. I've used a Rubbermaid ActionPacker for ten years now and it just fits in the FJ. It takes up about half the space in the back, sits on the passenger side to help with the weight transfer and is about one foot high. Even my compressor/inflator and jump start fits in there, as well as a lot of other stuff. I'll post a photo.. Ron

·
Registered
739 Posts
POWER TOOLS...did everyone forget there is a elctrical plug in the rear. 100' of good old fashion outdoor/industrial extension cords and tada circular saws, drills, heck you can even recharge the batteries is you have cordless tools.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
400w

400W ain't much.. Best to use that one for small stuff like cell phones and smaller rechargeable batteries. I still want a stand-alone 1000W+ that connects directly to the battery for big stuff. I got a great one at Sams's for $29. If I burn the wires off it, it doesn't take the FJ wiring with it. If I don't need it, it stays in the ActionPacker with my MaxFlow and jump starter. Ron

POWER TOOLS...did everyone forget there is a elctrical plug in the rear. 100' of good old fashion outdoor/industrial extension cords and tada circular saws, drills, heck you can even recharge the batteries is you have cordless tools.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I think when this thread ends we will have a solid list...
A BIG list... If I didn't have to run to a meeting shortly, I'd go through the thread responses and compile the list.

A trailer to haul all of the stuff mentioned around in!
yup

I agree with the suggestion for a toss-in bag for wheeling, but hauling all the stuff mentioned in the thread around daily is a little much (with the exception of self-protection and a cell phone). Good suggestions, though..

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
That's one of the advantages of having a good light weight box. On a daily basis, you just carry what you need and use it as a trunk organizer. It comes in real handy for the unexpected hauling/storage cases. When you're roadtriping or off-road, you pack it accordingly. Sort-of purpose oriented.. Ron

A BIG list... If I didn't have to run to a meeting shortly, I'd go through the thread responses and compile the list.

yup

I agree with the suggestion for a toss-in bag for wheeling, but hauling all the stuff mentioned in the thread around daily is a little much (with the exception of self-protection and a cell phone). Good suggestions, though..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Re: 400w

400W ain't much.. Best to use that one for small stuff like cell phones and smaller rechargeable batteries. I still want a stand-alone 1000W+ that connects directly to the battery for big stuff. I got a great one at Sams's for $29. If I burn the wires off it, it doesn't take the FJ wiring with it. If I don't need it, it stays in the ActionPacker with my MaxFlow and jump starter. Ron

I agree that my inverter is on the soft side. I use it to keep the charge up on my Jump Starter Kit on the way to work when it is cold. So far so good as it was needed three times this winter and never hit the house beyond its initial charge.

Other than that it fit in that cubby hole and my spot light is AC.

I do smile when I go to the truck stops with the giant inverters.

Scott

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Re: 400w

Inverters are deceptive to a lot of people. 1000 watts (1KW) is nothing in the 110-125 volt world (8-9 amps, zip cord stuff), but in the 12 volt world it's around 80 amps! That'll fry most every wire in the FJ except the starter and charging circuits.. Ron

I agree that my inverter is on the soft side. I use it to keep the charge up on my Jump Starter Kit on the way to work when it is cold. So far so good as it was needed three times this winter and never hit the house beyond its initial charge.

Other than that it fit in that cubby hole and my spot light is AC.

I do smile when I go to the truck stops with the giant inverters.

Scott

21 - 39 of 39 Posts