Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What do you think of ultra bright headlights?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ultra Bright Headlight Bulbs… I really dislike these lights! They glare, there obnoxiously bright and distracting. I will never put them on any vehicle I own! Ok… now I feel just a little bit better. For those that find what I said obnoxious, flame away! For the rest of you please take the poll. I’m curious what other people think of these little #@!^(%$.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree however I don't this they should be illegal. We have enough laws on the books already to write tickets for.
The purple/blue hues bother me the most. Even HID's bother me on some of the more euro makes.

The LED tailights on late model cars are a little too bright for me to for that matter. I almost have a seizure when I'm behind a 2010 Accord for instance.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I agree however I don't this they should be illegal. We have enough laws on the books already to write tickets for.
The purple/blue hues bother me the most. Even HID's bother me on some of the more euro makes.

The LED tailights on late model cars are a little too bright for me to for that matter. I almost have a seizure when I'm behind a 2010 Accord for instance.
X2 for led tails. I find that the new caddies are the worst.
Have you every seen those led things that people spin at parties and sporting events? The ones that you program messages into? The led tails give me that effect. If you don't focus straight at them & if you look left and right they strobe like your in a frikken disco.

As far as the headlights go. Yes annoying. Especially on lifted vehicles. If your in a small vehicle they blind you constantly from the front and the rear. I get flashed continuously just with stock bulbs, I can't imagine getting the HID's and running them all the time. The blue ones really bother my eyes alot. So much so that I find myself focusing on the white line when I meet cars with them.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I get flashed continuously just with stock bulbs, I can't imagine getting the HID's and running them all the time. The blue ones really bother my eyes alot. So much so that I find myself focusing on the white line when I meet cars with them.
X2...

I always get flashed... although strangely I got flashed more when I was at a stock ride height. That said...

I notice the ones that really get me are the cars rocking aftermarket HID's bulbs in place of the conventional bulbs. Conventional housings aren't designed for the HID's and that's why some states have outlawed their installation. The scatter has even gotten to the point when I've driven my eyes actually water. Pisses me off.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m glad I’m not the only person that dislikes these lights. That said, to make them illegal requires (or should require) a higher standard than just a “dislike” for them. It should require a real threat to public safety.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was behind a 2010/2011 Camaro the other day, never realized how bright the tail lights were. Very annoying.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I like to pull the ebrake at stop lights and then go nuts like a 5yr old on the brake pedal and just blind the car behind me with the obnoxiously bright tail lights this thing already has.

Then I turn on the HIDs and highbeams when I'm on small two lane roads with oncoming traffic in the dark of night.

jk .

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like to have bright headlights, but dont get me wrong I hate the ricers and such that have the off color HIDs. There is no reason for purple lights it makes it harder for the driver to see definatly not safe. My HIDs are bright at I think 6000k so a nice clear white.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I love bright headlights. If the reflectors work well with your bulbs and they are appropriately adjusted, they are great.

I used to get flashed all the time with stock bulbs. Then I got Silverstar Ultras, which are the same wattage, but a more white color. I was still getting flashed a lot. Then I lifted and aimed my headlights down a bit. Occasionally I would still get flashed. Then I went to a 55 watt HID setup, which puts out about 4x the lumen of stock headlights. I now have a better cutoff and have not been flashed since I made the switch about a year ago.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have 55w HIDs in my stock housings and I love them. They are 5000k so they are more white than blue. The darker blue/purple some people use are very annoying, but the whiter ones don't bother me, mostly because I have them and realize what a difference they make to how much better I can see at night. As long as they're aimed right, there's not a much more glare than say Sylvanias.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
I like to pull the ebrake at stop lights and then go nuts like a 5yr old on the brake pedal and just blind the car behind me with the obnoxiously bright tail lights this thing already has.

Then I turn on the HIDs and highbeams when I'm on small two lane roads with oncoming traffic in the dark of night.

jk .

That's very nice of you :bigthumb:

jk

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I have no issues with people who run bright headlights. If they are aimed properly and have the correct cut off pattern, they shouldn't blind you.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
I have no issues with people who run bright headlights. If they are aimed properly and have the correct cut off pattern, they shouldn't blind you.
Good post! Mine are very bright and aimed down. They help me, and don't bother others! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After a little introspection I need to revise my thoughts on this issue. I dislike the colored lights and those that are aimed badly. I was unaware that ultra bright lights came in white too. I know that last sentence implies “stupid” but I though that ultra bright lights were colored as a product of design not intent. If the lights are correctly installed they should not present a problem for oncoming traffic. Thanks for the education!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Provided they are aim properly, they are good, otherwise its just a nuisance which can be dangerous to other drivers. Now imagine, you are now at the receiving end , I am sure you will not want to be blinded by a white bright light which might be the last thing you will see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is this where I come to whine? Big deal suck it up and look at away if they bother you. Some people would rather be safe and see

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Is this where I come to whine? Big deal suck it up and look at away if they bother you. Some people would rather be safe and see
"Look away if they bother you, some people would rather be safe and see"?

Really? So FK the rest of the people on the road, as long as you can see who cares if everyone else is blinded by your lights right?

Now that I drive a lifted FJ I don't have as much problem with these lights. Back when I was driving a Vdub driving at night was a nightmare. I was constantly blinded from oncoming as well as from vehicles behind me. Like many have said here "IF" they are aimed properly they aren't too big of a deal. Problem is that's a big IF based on what I see firsthand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts