Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new version of the Ultra-Guage (MX 1.3) now reads the pan ATF without any special coding. Choose the "Toyota Tundra/Tacoma CAN" preprogramming option and it's all set to go. :grin

DEWFPO

·
Registered
931 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it working? I would love to see the transmission temps.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it working? I would love to see the transmission temps.
Certainly the Ultra-Gauge is one option, but I think a Bluetooth OBD adapter ($25), an Android phone or a small tablet, and the $5 app Torque Pro provide a much more versatile and informative means of displaying what's happening under the hood. And, there is no hard-wiring required.

There are literally scores of parameters that you can display and log for later analysis in an Excel spreadsheet, as well as displaying OBD codes, etc.

Here's a 7" tablet displaying engine RPM, coolant temperature, trans pan temp, trans torque converter temp, intake air temp, instantaneous MPG, average MPG, trip MPG, ignition timing advance, air-fuel ratio, actual OBD vehicle speed (NOT the speed displayed on the speedo), etc.

(The "255 MPG" displayed on the instantaneous MPG gauge is what's indicated when coasting to a stop above the fuel-cutoff speed, when the injectors are injecting zero fuel.)

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't but I'll take one and post it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
931 Posts
Certainly the Ultra-Gauge is one option, but I think a Bluetooth OBD adapter ($25), an Android phone or a small tablet, and the $5 app Torque Pro provide a much more versatile and informative means of displaying what's happening under the hood. And, there is no hard-wiring required.

There are literally scores of parameters that you can display and log for later analysis in an Excel spreadsheet, as well as displaying OBD codes, etc.

Here's a 7" tablet displaying engine RPM, coolant temperature, trans pan temp, trans torque converter temp, intake air temp, instantaneous MPG, average MPG, trip MPG, ignition timing advance, air-fuel ratio, actual OBD vehicle speed (NOT the speed displayed on the speedo), etc.

(The "255 MPG" displayed on the instantaneous MPG gauge is what's indicated when coasting to a stop above the fuel-cutoff speed, when the injectors are injecting zero fuel.)

Thanks. I tried the torque app from a friend and I was unable to see much of anything less rpms, battery etc. What did you do to be able to view more?

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Thanks. I tried the torque app from a friend and I was unable to see much of anything less rpms, battery etc. What did you do to be able to view more?
Hard for me to say what you did or didn't do correctly .... just start the app, and tap the little "gear" icon to open the menu. Then you can select "Add a gauge", and then select whatever parameters you want to display from the very long list.

There's an online Torque forum/WIKI that provides all the info you need to get familiar with the app, but once you start it it's pretty self explanatory.

https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

Were you using the "free" (but somewhat limited) Torque app, or the extremely versatile Torque Pro app ($5)? I have not used the "free" version, so I'm not sure how exactly what its capabilities are.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm guessing he had the free version due to the limited options. I may have to revisit this as a option though.

Thanks for the tips. :rocker:

·
Registered
192 Posts
For those of us that use an iPhone and WIFI OBD adapter the app called EngineLink will run the torque formulas. Actually looks similar to FJtests picture of his torque screen. I used Dash Command for awhile and it's good, nicer graphics, but you could not use custom PID's. With engine link I can monitor both tranny temps :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't get the trans temps on my '14.:frown
If anybody has the UltraGauge MX 1.3 codes for the trans temps on a 2014 I would greatly appreciate them.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
If anybody has the UltraGauge MX 1.3 codes for the trans temps on a 2014 I would greatly appreciate them.
Choose the "Toyota Tundra/Tacoma CAN" preprogramming option and it's all set to go.
I've got the old version so I can't say on my 14, but did you select the above?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,270 Posts
For those of us that use an iPhone and WIFI OBD adapter the app called EngineLink will run the torque formulas. Actually looks similar to FJtests picture of his torque screen. I used Dash Command for awhile and it's good, nicer graphics, but you could not use custom PID's. With engine link I can monitor both tranny temps :)
Interesting thread digression... so I have an iPhone and iPad... New to this electronic engine stuff...what do I need to do/get to have all the ECM info on my screen?

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your Ultra-Guage MX 1.3 (new version 10/30/2014) is pre-programmed (from Ultra-Gauge) for the "Toyota Tacoma/Tundra CAN" it is already set up as one of the MGauges.

If you have an older version, I believe you can send it back and have it re-programmed/updated at Ultra-Guage for a nominal fee.

However, I did find this information on another forum (TacomaWorld) :

--Select the Toyota Tacoma/Tundra CAN

Codes for 2005-2011 Trans temps *F:
M Gauge 5 Exit
Abbr1:Trn Abbr2:*F
TData: 07E021D9000000
TCtrl:92 RCtrl: 10
RPos:1810 Mtch:210000
X:0001 /:0100 +:FFD8
Out Format:10 Ave:00
Left/Right:41

Codes for 2012-2015 Trans temps *F:
TDATA: 07E02182
MTCH: 6182
RPOS: 2808
RCTRL:21
TCTRL:92
X: 0009
/: 0005
+: FFD8
Output format: 00
Left/Right is 31

And this is from Ultra-Gauge's website :

New MGauges supported.

Toyota Tundra/Tacoma with CAN (2005+)
Description :
- Kilometers Per Hour (Much more accurate version of the OBDII standardized version)
- Barometric Pressure (Inches of Mercury)
- Air Fuel ratio
- Transmission Temperature (Temperature of the transmission fluid °F)
- Transmission Temperature (Temperature of the transmission fluid °C)
- Injector Time (Injector on time in milliseconds)
- Lock up Converter Status (1=Locked up, 0=Not locked)
- Evaporative System PSI (Pressure of the Evaporative system in PSI)

I hope this helps.

I will post the photo I promised above when I get the chance.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Redeemed- I do have the Toyota pre-programmed MX 1.3 version, ordered early to mid Dec '14
DEWFPO- I tried some codes I found on this forum, but haven't had any luck. I think these are different , I'll try them. Much Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interesting thread digression... so I have an iPhone and iPad... New to this electronic engine stuff...what do I need to do/get to have all the ECM info on my screen?
Not tring to hijack the thread at all, just letting people know there is a half a**ed apple app that somewhat compares to Torque for androids. Anyway, you have the iPhone/pad/pod, you need to buy an OBDII device to connect to your OBD port on FJ. For using apple products it MUST be a WIFI device (or jailbreak iPhone) that is ELM327 compliant. I bought a Kiwi wifi device for about 65 bucks, there are cheaper alternatives, the Kiwi is well reviewed.

Once you have your hardware device you need to download an app. I used Dash Command ($10) for a month or so, it's pretty, it has lots of features, but I could not figure out if it would do custom PID's. I finally stumbled on Engine Link ($5) not as fancy but it can use Torque algorithms so finally i can monitor the tranny temps!!!!!

Its plenty powerful for me, it does not handle fuel use as nice as Dashcommand but gives MPG. And really let's face it we all know mileage sucks anyway lol

If you get this let me know and I will find the tranny formulas for ya

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,270 Posts
Not tring to hijack the thread at all, just letting people know there is a half a**ed apple app that somewhat compares to Torque for androids. Anyway, you have the iPhone/pad/pod, you need to buy an OBDII device to connect to your OBD port on FJ. For using apple products it MUST be a WIFI device (or jailbreak iPhone) that is ELM327 compliant. I bought a Kiwi wifi device for about 65 bucks, there are cheaper alternatives, the Kiwi is well reviewed.

Once you have your hardware device you need to download an app. I used Dash Command ($10) for a month or so, it's pretty, it has lots of features, but I could not figure out if it would do custom PID's. I finally stumbled on Engine Link ($5) not as fancy but it can use Torque algorithms so finally i can monitor the tranny temps!!!!!

Its plenty powerful for me, it does not handle fuel use as nice as Dashcommand but gives MPG. And really let's face it we all know mileage sucks anyway lol

If you get this let me know and I will find the tranny formulas for ya

Definitely not accusing anyone of thread hijacking!!! merely a thread evolving

Thank you for the info... OBD2 connector ordered, and Dash Command downloaded but I'll do Engine link too for the £ difference... (From the info it sounds like the Android app is better??)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cool glad you ordered one, I am not so sure if one is better than the other, in fact the engine link screen I set up is very close to the one fjtest has set up for Torque. Its very easy to configure and you can set up different screens (4 or 5). There are a ton of gauges but I just use the digital ones like fjtest did.

The formulas are different for 07 to 10 FJ's and 2010 and up. Give google a search and you should find them, if you have trouble give me a shout and I will be glad to help you out.

Let us know what you think, I think you will love it:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Definitely not accusing anyone of thread hijacking!!! merely a thread evolving

Thank you for the info... OBD2 connector ordered, and Dash Command downloaded but I'll do Engine link too for the £ difference... (From the info it sounds like the Android app is better??)
A shot of one of my custom screens from engine link on my spare iPhone 4

1 - 20 of 80 Posts