Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for an UltraLight Toy Hauler. Does anyone have one? Which one? Would you buy it again? Any suggestions or advice. I don't want this for a "trail" trailer, just to camp in at the trails, lakes, etc. It may also serve as a camp/garage at the deer camp during the season. I'm still working on an off road trailer for the boys, but this will be for the whole familey and thier toys. I've been looking at the LivinLite stuff but the two dealers in my area are no longer going to cary them becuase of poor relationships with the factory. It needs to have shower, toilet, and reasonable fluids storage, be under 4000lbs, and preferably have 14' of garage area. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What do you want to haul?

I'm looking also. I need to haul 1 quad and 1 dirtbike. So far, Dune Sport has been the smallest I've found. They have a 12', 14', and 16'. Overall not bad. The 14' will most likely work for me. I like the 16" one, but the trailer itself is pushing 4,000 lbs, so doesn't leave much room for additional weight.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beach Cruiser has an 18' and although the weigh is pushing or maybe exceeding the limit he is very happy with his. I'd like to go alot lighter if possible. I'll most likely be carrying one or two quads, or in many cases a small trailor with several kayaks. The kayaks and trailer will not weigh very much. I'm more concerned with the length of the storage area. Most of the kayaks we use are 12-14' and the trailer I'm building will have a detachable or telescoping tounge. I really like the idea of the Livin Lite trailes, but I'm not getting good feedback from the dealers. Not so much on the product, but the relationship between factory and dealer. I've thought about just buying a nice cargo trailer and converting it. I'm sure I could make it functional for me, but It needs to be acceptable to the other half as well. I'm trying to encourage familey activities so as the saying goes, if mama's not happy......

·
Registered
838 Posts
Fun Finder XTRA is one that i really like and the Wolf Pup 17RR looks interesting as well

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Airstream Basecamp, but it's $$$$$$ and has no shower. Booo!
That's one good looking trailer...

Way too much money and very little function.

Again, I like the all aluminum theme though. Does anyone out there own a livin lite trailer? I really want some real world insight.

·
Registered
458 Posts
there lowels sells trailers for cheap i think i saw like $450 and up dependence on size

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Beach Cruiser has an 18' and although the weigh is pushing or maybe exceeding the limit he is very happy with his. I'd like to go alot lighter if possible. I'll most likely be carrying one or two quads, or in many cases a small trailor with several kayaks. The kayaks and trailer will not weigh very much. I'm more concerned with the length of the storage area. Most of the kayaks we use are 12-14' and the trailer I'm building will have a detachable or telescoping tounge. I really like the idea of the Livin Lite trailes, but I'm not getting good feedback from the dealers. Not so much on the product, but the relationship between factory and dealer. I've thought about just buying a nice cargo trailer and converting it. I'm sure I could make it functional for me, but It needs to be acceptable to the other half as well. I'm trying to encourage familey activities so as the saying goes, if mama's not happy......
I've been looking for a toy hauler for a while, and haven't really been able to find a decent one thats comfortable behind the FJ.

I recently towed a couple small toy haulers, one being very simular to the one Beach Cruiser has. The dealer aranged to even though an ATV in th back to help simulate the weight.

I have to say i was not impressed with how the FJ handled the load. Passing power was ok, but the short wheelbase took its toll when anything passed by. The truck seemed ok on flat ground around 50-55, but when semi's are passing you up at 65+, it can be a little scary.

I pulled into a truck scale and weighted in. Tongue wieght was 400, and trailer wieght was 4700. This was with the quad in the back, no food, gear, water, anything. So if loaded with gear for the trip, i would have easily been over the limit.

The second was a wells cargo trailer that had been converted to a toy hauler (well it was built profesionaly by wells cargo). It was a little lighter, but towed alot better. Proably due to the shorter roof height.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The second was a wells cargo trailer that had been converted to a toy hauler (well it was built profesionaly by wells cargo). It was a little lighter, but towed alot better. Proably due to the shorter roof height.

Do you have any pictures of this one. Did it have water storage and bathoom facilities?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are some versions of it....the best way to check is google and check the pics which do you like....since you are going to spend some heavy buck on it right??:)

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
You won't get a 14' garage unless you go to a 23' trailer.
Look into Carson trailers. They make toy haulers as small as 14' with toilet/shower combo.
I tow a 21' v nose trailer with my fj. 101" wide. With a head wind gas goes WAY down 7-8mpg.

Also as mentioned earlier look into Dune trailer. I think it's made by Carson but not 100% sure. You can find used ones between 6k&8k good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
This one was for sale but it's gone and I can't make out the name on the side. It had specs and I think empty wt was 2k lbs.Anybody know anything else about this hauler?

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am building one of these over the winter this year:

Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL - Expedition Portal Forum

Doesn't quite meet your specs, but if you go browse that website you may find some home built ideas that do.
I love this idea, and it could be easily modified to put my kayaks on top. However, i'm ok with a tent and the kayak on the roof rack if I'm going solo or maybe even with the wife. I'm really looking more for a on road travel trailer with a bathroom/ shower, and the ability to bring the toys. Great thread though thanks for sharing. I'd still love to build one of those for just wheeling and camping purposes it's just lower on the priority list since I've started doing these kayak fishing tournaments.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I run a 2006 Fleetwood E2, and it has a toyhauler rack on the front. If you plan to go on trails and offroad, something like this is the only way to travel in style ;)

You could mount a rack in front of an off-road teardrop also if you are doing a custom build I guess, although a 500 pound ATV on the front of a teardrop might be too much weight.

- Hakrjak:clap:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts